Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knock noise from corrolla steering colume

Joregan75

Hi All 

My wife drives a 2008 Toyota corrolla saloon , it has developed a knocking noise in the front , our mechanic says it just a bit of wear in the steering colume and it's perfectly safe to drive , and it was a common thing to happen in the E140  corrolla . And it never affected to car and it's safe to drive for thousands of miles more . Had anybody every had this issue or heard of this common problem ? 

Does the knocking sound happen when turning the steering wheel?

I have this issue too, it only happens when the wheels are straight on and wiggle the steering wheel a bit. Think it's wear and tear because everything still turns correctly 

On 29/08/2017 at 9:49 AM, saxo265 said:

No noise when turning the steering wheel it's just a random know when over rough road .

T sport , did you ever get it checked by a  mechanic , if so what did they say ?

8 hours ago, Joregan75 said:

T sport , did you ever get it checked by a  mechanic , if so what did they say ?

I have not, sorry mate! I may get it checked yet but I don't plan on having this car on the road much longer, I'm having to many issues with it. Gonna get a run around and see about buying a compressor in the next year.

JFYI -I had a similar knocking sound over rough ground on my E12 1.6 estate- turned out to be the drop links - replaced and now all good. 

• 3 months later...

Common issue if you can feel the knocking through the steering, check the joint at the bottom of the shaft where the pedals are, ensure the bolt is tight on the U joint.