Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T25 Clutch, Pads and Discs

AvensisNW

Hi Everyone, 

My 2008 1.8 TR is on about 62k and the clutch bit high since I got it last year. Thought I detected some slipping in the way home in stop start traffic tonight. Question is this a known failing of this age Avensis or not and what should I expect to pay for a new one? 

Also same for pads all around and discstoo? 

Cheers all! 

Avensis (tbh I think many Toyotas) have a fairly high clutch to start with. How long a clutch lasts depends on how the car has been used & driving style - some will do 150,000 miles on a clutch & others can ruin a clutch in a few thousand.

Toyota offers fixed price repairs - iirc on an Avensis front or rear pads & discs is £240 (so £480 all round) - always worth haggling though. :wink:

& of course using 3rd party parts & independent garages can lower that further.

• Like 1

i have a 2008 tr with 115000 on the clock.i also have a high clutch peddle and its been like this since i brought the car 5 years ago with 55000 on the clock.only problem i get is in stop/start traffic when the engines hot and it judders a bit when i pull away(looking on web it seems to say engine mount nearest gearbox could be the problem as this is the last one to warm up thus putting gearbox out of alignment.)

i have no problem on long motorway journeys.the car has a toyota service plan on it and when mentioned to them the reply was you clutch is worn and needs replacing(been told that for last 3 services).the last service this year they even gave me a quote to do the job at £974.01all in.

hope this helps.

On 05/10/2017 at 6:41 AM, tyseley1 said:

i have a 2008 tr with 115000 on the clock.i also have a high clutch peddle and its been like this since i brought the car 5 years ago with 55000 on the clock.only problem i get is in stop/start traffic when the engines hot and it judders a bit when i pull away(looking on web it seems to say engine mount nearest gearbox could be the problem as this is the last one to warm up thus putting gearbox out of alignment.)

i have no problem on long motorway journeys.the car has a toyota service plan on it and when mentioned to them the reply was you clutch is worn and needs replacing(been told that for last 3 services).the last service this year they even gave me a quote to do the job at £974.01all in.

hope this helps.

I like this version. I'll keep on driving then! 

Hi,

i have a 2007 Toyota avensis. I got it at 60000 and even then there was slippage. Cannot comment on previous owners driving style being a factor on premature ware or is it a weakness in design.  This was my first car to have required a clutch change.  

They charged me £380 including vat . That is 5 hours labour. Not a Toyota dealer but had done the job before on these cars.

the front brake discs and pads came to about £200 including labour and vat.

thisis a fairly small garage which I have used for many years. Not the cheapest but do a good job.

I had my clutch on my T27 Valvematic changed earlier this year - 

The pedal biting point is a little lower after replacement, but some will consider high compared to other makes of cars. 

The subject of how the car and clutch was used previously, does play a part to clutch wear. There are some drivers who constantly rest their foot on the clutch pedal,  other drivers who use a lot of revs and slippage during slow maneuvers, both of which can cause higher wear than normal. Also a badly fitted or faulty clutch unit, the pedal adjustment can add to the wear. Basically it is lucky of the draw if you get a used car with a good clutch or one that may need changing. 
A recent post regarding the biting point and if the clutch needs changing - 

The cost of changing the clutch should be cheaper than my T27 Valvematic, as parts cost is nearly double compared to the VVTi clutch unit, because the slave and bearing (concentric slave bearing) is one unit and cost quite a bit than the normal bearing unit. Also the 6 speed gearbox has lots of extra connections, in addition to the gear selector linkage.

Once the clutch has been changed, the you will know that it should not need attention, and one less to worry about. 
I also changed the brakes on my car last year. They were low all round and the discs were scored and lipped. 

Edited by Konrad C
Extra words and information

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links