Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IQ rear disc brakes sticking

BarryNic

The rear disc brakes on my 2012 IQ keep sticking on and causing excessive wear. Is this a common problem.

It can be a problem on any car with calipers. I've found one of the main reasons why disc brakes stick, is that the caliper slider pins require cleaning and re-lubing. Easy enough to do yourself, but any garage will do this for a minimal fee.

I had to replace my rear pads the other week, they were wearing unevenly due to the bottom pins being seized, they didn't feel like they were binding though. 

The good pin is the top one, the bad pin is the bottom, it was like this on both sides.

WP_20170923_11_56_45_Pro_LI[72970].jpg

WP_20170923_11_20_21_Pro_LI.jpg

It looks like the water and rubbish from the road is getting into one pin more than another, is it a design fault and can it be prevented.

37 minutes ago, BarryNic said:

It looks like the water and rubbish from the road is getting into one pin more than another, is it a design fault and can it be prevented.

Unless the rubber caliper pin boot has split or isn't sitting on the lip properly, then probably not. I do tend to cover the pin with as much high quality grease as possible, before sliding back in the housing though.

Is there a specific grease type recommended for these pins?

As it is such a corrosion problem area, does Toyota, or anyone else, recommend silicone grease?  It's highly water repellent and kind to rubber, unlike some others.

I've seen it specified on some Japanese motorcycle callipers, and used it to good effect, conventional grease (before I had the workshop manual) seemed to dry out and leave just a sticky residue.

Easily available from boat chandlers.

4 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Is there a specific grease type recommended for these pins?

As it is such a corrosion problem area, does Toyota, or anyone else, recommend silicone grease?  It's highly water repellent and kind to rubber, unlike some others.

I've always used:

MINTEX ANTI-BRAKE SQUEAL GREASE CERATEC

Never had any problems with sticky caliper pins using this stuff!

Its common when either brakes are incorrectly fitted or wrong grease is used. Incorrect greases can swell the boots that prevent a good seal. Incorrect fitting by not checking, cleaning and re-lubing the pins when brakes are replaced. Clean the corrosion off the pin and the areas where the rubber boot sits. You may need a new boot if old one is quite loose. Apply the lithium soap based grease (red rubber grease from Toyota or similar rubber friendly grease) to pins and pack itinerary the boot too. When you fit the pin it will squeeze out excess grease that was around the boot which leaves a perfect seal.

On my car that is the first time the rear pads have been replaced and the rubber boots were in perfect order. Maybe due to lack of grease from the factory?

On my car that is the first time the rear pads have been replaced and the rubber boots were in perfect order. Maybe due to lack of grease from the factory?
Have you had the car from new? May not have had pads but may have had work done to the brakes even it was to cure squeal etc.
Grease from the factory is yellow and they don't pack the boot from factory, just grease the pins as everything is new so the boots will do their job with packing them.

34 minutes ago, Vscudetto said:

Have you had the car from new? May not have had pads but may have had work done to the brakes even it was to cure squeal etc.
Grease from the factory is yellow and they don't pack the boot from factory, just grease the pins as everything is new so the boots will do their job with packing them.

It was 9 months old with 2,900 miles on it when I bought it.

It was 9 months old with 2,900 miles on it when I bought it.
Odd that. You can clearly see the difference it makes when boot is doing its job in your photo, looks like you got unlucky and boot wasn't sitting right. Most carrier, pin or guide bushes I have replaced have been due to previous work done on the brakes.

• 9 months later...

I know its an old post.

When you clean your brakes, DO NOT use brake cleaner on the rubbers, it does make them swell.

Been there, done that.

And only use the rubber friendly grease (red) where rubber is contacted.

• 2 months later...

Our 2010 IQ had the same issue with the rear brakes binding, which always happens after being washed and parked up.

Cleaned up the slider pin of all its rust and re-lubed with red rubber grease.

Not more binding and also the horrible squeaking/squealing noise has been cured.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys looking for the rear caliper mounting bolt size ?