Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power steering fluid

Ikram

Hello

I have purchased a 2008 Auris, 1.6 petrol about 3 weeks ago and it is running just fine. I was just checking the bonnet to see if any fluids needed topping up etc and I noticed that the power steering fluid reservoir looks empty.

I have searched online and looked through my owners manual to see which power steering fluid I need to buy and I cannot find anything anywhere. I have read that you can use ATF fluid for power steering systems and this is just fine but I was wondering what other Auris owners have used and could recommend. 

Could someone please help me out? 

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, the Auris has electric power steering. So presumably the reservoir you're looking at may be either for the clutch or the braking system.

Ohh right. I just took a second look and its a good thing i never rushed into pouring anything down there just yet. Its the brake fluid reservoir, says dot 4 to be used only. 

The fact that the brake fluid looks empty then, a simple top up to around half way with dot 4 shouldnt cause any problems right? 

Thanks

The brake fluid reservoir is a great way of seeing how worn the discs and pads are. When the discs and pads are new it should be at max. As they wear and the piston in the calliper has to travel further thus meaning it needs more fluid to expand. Meaning the fluid level drops. Id check all your discs and pads to make sure they do not require replacement before topping it up. Also you can use DOT4 or DOT5.1. Dot 5.1 simply has a higher boiling point they are both interchangeable. (When buying brake fluid be careful to never to use DOT 5 silicon based fluid unless the car specifically requires it) Dot 3,4 and 5.1 are all glycol based fluids and interchangeable. :-)

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. Ive checked the discs and pads and the rears more so than the fronts need replacing, theyre quite worn and rusty on the edges. The braking hasnt seemed too bad for me but I only really do local driving and there isnt much speed involved so cant really say. Only had the car a few weeks. 

Ive topped up the brake fluid anyway for now with some dot 4 as it was very low. Havent driven it yet but all should be good for the moment .

Now to find some new discs/pads :sad:, good thing i get discount at eurocarparts through work. Thanks again.

No problem at all, happy to help! The Pagid discs and pads from Europarts are very good. If you do a lot of hard driving though I would recommend the Brembo discs and pads. But Pagid are more than capable.

Fronts are very easy to change however for the rears you will need a piston wind back tool if you plan on doing it yourself.

Also I have noticed that the Pagid discs seem to come with a coating now, after fitting I just go for a 10 mile drive and do some decent hard stops just to bed them in. Others may disagree however thats just what I do and have never had any issues.

Regards

Chris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links