Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Diesel Excessive Front Tire Wear?

ReliabilityHunter

Went to see a 2015 RAV4 2.0 Diesel, Manual, 2WD today.

14,000 miles on the clock. Front tires were 4mm, rear tires 6mm. Bridgestone dueler on the car.

4mm on the fronts at only 14,000 miles with main dealer service history to back up the miles. That seems rather excessive is it not?

I have a Range Rover Evoque 2.0 Diesel Manual with 28,000 miles on the clock and the front Tires have 5.8mm left in them, so double the miles (literally) yet more tire wear on the Rav4

Is this normal?

Partly depends on how the vehicle has been driven previously, and front wheel drive diesels can eat tyres due to the extra frontal weight and torque. A neighbour gets around 9,000 from the front tyres on his diesel Mondeo.

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Partly depends on how the vehicle has been driven previously, and front wheel drive diesels can eat tyres due to the extra frontal weight and torque. A neighbour gets around 9,000 from the front tyres on his diesel Mondeo.

I drive the Evoque hard and it's got more tread left at 28,300 miles than the RAV 4 has at 14,000 so some cars must be a lot worse than others. But then they both have different tires on them and the compound could be different. The Evoque has Pirelli Scorpion Verde - All Seasons 20 inch tires which were fitted from new at the factory. The RAV 4 has Bridgestone Duelers 18 inch which from what I've read are also a factory fit.

Dealer said the Break pads were only about 5% worn... so it must have had new break pads too which is surprising at 14,000 miles.

Sounds like fast driving, hard braking before corners and hard acceleration out of them.

Mileage is not the only criterion.

Not finding this problem with my RAV, it’s done 34k on its original duelers. 

The fronts are down to about 3 mm and the rears about 5mm. 

Car is a 2.2 diesel 4.4 Icon. 

As for reliability of the engine as per your other post. I have just taken out a Toyota extended warranty to start next April when the 5 year warranty runs out. Cost was £540 and includes 2 years breakdown cover. It’s the same cover you get with a new car. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links