Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really high pitched squeek when moving

Ben93

Recent work I've had done is exhuast boxes removed so it's a straight pipe with cat still in place on the d4d 2 litre its not loud at all and has freed up my revs a bit. I've had pads all round and front discs done within the last 1000 miles. And handbrake cable tightened. 

I have started to recently notice a high pitch noise not overly loud at all and my dad cannot hear it as it's a high pitch frequency it's normally when first pulling away or when you take foot off accelerator. My dad thinks it's probably just dust in the pads and discs that I can hear but it's not when I'm braking as such. It's not turbo whistle as I know that sound alot better since exhuasts been remade. Any ideas? Doesn't sound like a belt either sounds like it's coming from the front corner of car but hard to tell to be honest. I've had a slippijg fan belt on my old car and that noise was really obvious this is very subtle 

Any chance you could record it? It'd make it a bit easier to diagnose.

Will try but not too easy to do as I need the car moving and the wind coming through window would make it hard to hear. Will see if my phone picks up on the noise as it's really high pitched. Doesn't sound like anything I've heard wheel bearings groan brakes I doubt as all been worked on recently and new handbrake tightened and the exhuast work wouldn't cause it and it's not that really loud sound you get with a belt. Very very subtle high pitch noise I wouldn't of heard it unless music's off and I'm not moving fast. 

Hi, from what you have written do you now have a Toyota standard exhaust or a made up copy one? Mike.

It's not original it's the same exhuast with boxes removed and straight pieces placed between etc. I don't think it's the exhuast. The work was done from the cat back. It isn't a turbo whistle sound as I can hear that it's like a slight metal on metal sound but hard to say. 

This is the exhuast now quite a neat job from a reputable place DSC_1499.thumb.JPG.5396c11046f5cdc21709124377808015.JPG

DSC_1498.JPG

DSC_1497.JPG

Could it be a wheel bearing? I had a "whine" but only a little one and then it became a rattle when going over slightly rough tarmac, this went on for about 2-3 weeks and then all of a sudden, I got to 60mph one night recently, sounded like an old war plane and made the whole front of my car judder, was brutal! Two new wheel bearings later, no noise or rattle

Hard to say had a wheel bearing go in my old car before and wasn't same noise. Sounds like a little high pitched noise but can't hear it as I get over 20mph only when accelerating to it or slowing below it. Could just be dust in wheels and discs and pads maybe as they've been changed recently so gap between them would be less and it's that time of year when they get clogged with stuff?, it's not loud or scary noise just ever so slight. Like I said my dad can't hear it due to the pitch of it 

Like the ringing you'd get in your ear after a concert but very subtle and quiet nothing loud whatsoever. Maybe I'll give the wheels a good brush and scrub weekend and see. If it don't get worse can't see it being an issue plus the wheels would have been looked at when brakes were done not long ago 

It's not the same whine as a bearing too high pitched like metal sound but it is very very slightly I wouldn't have noticed it unless having a proper listen to the sound of Mt car 

1 hour ago, Ben93 said:

Like the ringing you'd get in your ear after a concert but very subtle and quiet nothing loud whatsoever.

Does it happen at high speeds, or just when you're revving the engine?

My Corolla has a high pitch squeal and it only happens at high speeds when I'm accelerating. The moment I let off the accelerator pedal the noise stops.

No it's at low speeds goes away around 20/30mph or maybe it's just that I can't hear it after that. It's only very faint I can't pinpoint exactly when it started as I normally have music on and can't hear it with it on. The handbrake adjusting and exhuast work were close together but I doubt the exhuast would cause it only noise I get from that I'd a deeper note without boxes and a sweet sounding turbo spool. 

More persistent now but not consistent it's not everytime I move but most of it can't pick the sound up on my phone though. 

It's not a constant squeek it's like a tapping rhythm so imagine a normal squeel or squeek would be like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek as such this speeds up and slows down with my car so it's like a tapping rhythm but a high pitched sound like e-e-e-e-e as such and speeds up as the wheels move faster and if I let it roll to a stop it starts to slow the ee ee squeek sound down until it's completely stopped moving. Imagine tapping a pin onto the disc every few secomds as it's moving and getting faster with the car. It's a weird sound but it's starting to grate on me now as I know it's there regardless of me putting music on to hide the sound. 

Cars are alot more aggro than they're worth sometimesm spend more on it than on myself. 

Hi, just remind us all what, if anything, you have recently done to your front brakes? Mike.

Had front discs and pads done but was about 1500 miles ago. Handbrake been adjusted that's it. Can't feel handbrake sticking car rolls forwards when you lift clutch 

The front disc's and pad's that have been renewed, what make are they, are they Toyota original parts? Mike.

Probably not. Does that make that much difference? I understand it being a bit squeek when breaking but not when you're moving and not braking that's a bit weird. It has become more similar to a brake squeel now so I'm thinking that some things rubbing the disc very lightly. Maybe the pad is too close 

They're not cheap pads or discs by any means and also I feel it's coming from the back now listening in quesiter road back right wheel. Maybe the handbrake adjustment has made it touch very slight but it's not enough to stop it rolling when lifting the clutch and car rolls with handbrake off if it's on a slight incline so seems weird that would be tje case 

Are the brake parts you have had fitted Toyota original parts or different almost the same price as original parts on your car? Manufacturers spend millions of pounds to get the grade of the pad material correct and other firms sell theirs as better replacements, not true in my opinion. Just have Toyota original parts fitted and I feel sure you will be ok.Mike

It's a bearing jacked car up and spun wheels individually front right is groany and squeeky

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben93 said:

They're not cheap pads or discs by any means and also I feel it's coming from the back now listening in quesiter road back right wheel. Maybe the handbrake adjustment has made it touch very slight but it's not enough to stop it rolling when lifting the clutch and car rolls with handbrake off if it's on a slight incline so seems weird that would be tje case 

Aha..! After fitting my discs and pads I had a squeaking/squealing noise from the rear at low speeds/when taking off, it was the handbrake adjuster wheel on the rear wheel was a smidge to tight. 

Noise disappeared after readjusting it.

Not sure about other Corrolla’s but on the T sport there’s 2 places to adjust the handbrake, inside the car and behind/inside the rear wheel (remove wheel and on the hub there is a little rubber grommet, under that is adjuster cog ).

4 hours ago, Ben93 said:

It's a bearing jacked car up and spun wheels individually front right is groany and squeeky

Thought it might be, glad you've found the issue mate :)