Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leak in Boot - from tail lights

ABToyota

So I think I have a leak in the boot-  water has been collecting and it seems that its coming in from the passenger side tail light cluster. I have added pictures. Now how can this be fixed? Would I need to get a mechanic to remove all the inner coverings and then the whole tail light cluster or can I apply some clear silicone sealant?

I understand it must be coming through the gap between the tail light and body panel?

20171009_090254[1].jpg

Usually leaks into the boot are either via the vents behind the rear bumper or the rear lights - due to seals perishing in later models. One can buy new seals from a Toyota dealer or use sealant. 

40 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Usually leaks into the boot are either via the vents behind the rear bumper or the rear lights - due to seals perishing in later models. One can buy new seals from a Toyota dealer or use sealant. 

I have had a good look and its definitely coming from the rear lights. Now I want to try to do this myself. 

I can see 2 bolts and a blue clip - is there anything else that needs to be loosened to remove the tail light.

If I use sealant - which type? 

Also with sealant does that mean you wont be able to take the light off again?

Its been a few years since I did this job on my Auris but from memory there were just the two bolts and the blue fastener.

I used clear bathroom silicone sealant (ordinary b&q stuff)  to seal between the top of the light cluster and the bodywork and it's been dry in the boot ever since.

YMMV but I had the same issue with my Avensis T25 estate. I took off the light cluster and underneath there is a flange with the 4 bolt holes. I tapped the flange inwards towards the car slightly with a small mallet, to create a tighter seal once the cluster was reattached. No leaks since and no use of sealant.

Regards

Ian

59e4c637b02a8_20171016_1041381.thumb.jpg.1d47149f53ef9d5bb067c2c88a5777f0.jpg

So I removed the les. It was easier than I thought. 

There are 2 bolts, one below and one abvove. There are 2 blue push pins which I released with a ring spanner. Once the lens was off I disconnected the lights. Looking at the state of the gasket  -no point in add silicone as its torn in some areas and generally quite worn.

When I replace with a new gasket should I apply some silicone on both sides or not?

With a new gasket you'll hopefully not need any silicone. I think the replacement gaskets were modified from the original so should seal better?

The part for future reference is

81562-02391 

Its just a bit of sponge/ foam. A bit expensive for £15 lol

The part has been redesigned. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have a leak from the other side. 

Were these seals badly designed? I will see if a bit of silicone will solve this.