Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeal

DJW

I have been experiencing a squeal which I think is coming from the belt(s)(is there more than one ?). I have asked Toyota to look at it and they have said that they put "belt conditioner" on as the belt drys out and starts to squeal !

I am afraid that this is a more serious problem or might it be the tensioner (I saw that mentioned in another post).

Should I get the belt and tensioner replaced ?

Done about 47,000 miles, 1.8 GS vvti, Y reg.

Any help much appreciated.

D

This is a common problem most likely caused by the drive belts to the alternator, air-con and p/s.

Belt conditioner does not work (or not for very long in any case).

Best option is to replace the belts.

Presumably, the tension on the belts is correct and it's not just a matter of the belts being a little under tensioned!!!!

Hope this helps. Joe.

I have just had my tensioner pulley & belt replaced under warranty. Apparently it is a common fault!

Hi,

I've also had my timing belt and tensioner replaced under warranty. Acknowledged as yet another a fairly common problem.

I think that designing a timing belt tensioner that lasts just 30K is quite an achievement. How on earth did they manage it? :)

Thanks.

yep my tensioner went.. horrible rattle noise.. its still undecided as to whether it can cause slippage and therefore possible valve damage (valvesafe?).

Keep an eye on them...

Hi,

In my post above I meant _drive_ belt and tensioner, not timing belt. Do know the difference but was in a hurry...!

Thanks.

yep my tensioner went.. horrible rattle noise.. its still undecided as to whether it can cause slippage and therefore possible valve damage (valvesafe?).

Keep an eye on them...

Not on a VVTi engine (as in the original posters case), they use timing chains. :) The belt that drives the power steering, air-con, alternator etc can slip causing squealing though, but this isn't going to result in bent valves. B)

• 3 weeks later...

I AM GLAD I SAW YOUR QUESTION ABOUT BELTS HERE. MY AVENSIS 1.8 IS 18 MONTHS OLD AND THE HANDBOOK SUGGESTS THAT THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE TIMING BELT AT A GIVEN TIME , UNLIKE MOST CARS............IS IT BECAUSE IT IS A CHAIN DRIVEN JOB?

Hi,

As noted elsewhere on this group, the 1.8VVTi engine has a timing chain not a timing belt. If your 1.8 Avensis is 18 months old then it must be a VVTi, so no timing belt to change.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I'm now really confused, I was told by jemca yesterday that belt tensioner was leaky?? after my service, I was totally unimpressed with my 'service manager' So I phoned up Inchampe farnham who I used before, I told them the part numbers T16620-22012 and T90916-02555 very nice man said it was a belt and a timing belt tensioner, I have a Vvti but posting says its chain driven. Guess I'll pay the 200 notes and get it done, I just hate not knowing quite what I am paying for.

Also I agree very let down that a part only lasted 32K miles in my case, I had a carina before which would have lasted forever if some nice man had not rammed it.

Oh when the engine is idlying it makes a screaching noise.

Al.

Ok, so the engine has a Valve timing CHAIN, and an auxiliary BELT. Both of which have tensioners. The belt is the black wizzy thing on the left hand side if you are looking in the engine bay. The chain is an internal thing but the tensioner is mounted towards the rear of the engine bay.

Chain cannot slip without causing engine failure. More likely to give you an engine warning light first though.

Any problems with either I have a few suggestions how to sort. Feel free to PM me to discuss if you like

Belt slipping/noise is unlikely to do any permanent damage but if it snaps it would mean you're alternator, powersteering pump and air con would all stop working with obvious effects