Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Push Start Problem

Banner Rav

Just bought a 2015 Rav4 icon and have an annoying problem with the push start. When I get into the car I sometimes have to wait a minute or more before the car recognises the key. The keyless entry works fine and I can unlock the car from 50 yards away or more so I don't think its a fob Battery problem. I've also tried the second fob and same story with it. Sometimes it works fine but its driving me crazy for the past few days. I'm going to replace the batteries in both fobs tomorrow but I don't believe that it will solve the issue. One thing that did happen recently was the interior lights were left on and ran down the actual car Battery. It was started with a power pack and charged up quickly but wonder if this could have caused it. Any advice appreciated  

Just an idea - disconnect the Battery and wait 5 minutes.  Reconnect and see if there's any improvement.

• 1 month later...

Hi Banner did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm a new RAV4 owner (2014 ICON) and appear to be having a similar issue. Only had the car a couple of days and I noticed from the first day that starting was intermittent but put this down to me not knowing the correct sequence for starting it up. Since then I read and reread the manual so know the score now but when I dip the clutch to start, the wireless key symbol comes on for like a split second then disappears after fiddling around and maybe on the fifth attempt the wireless key symbol remains on long enough for a successful start. Initial thought was fob Battery so I changed that but still the intermittent operation. Having an electrical background I'm thinking the clutch switch is at fault and was just interested if you managed to get things sorted out.

many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, yes got it sorted. I called a friend of a friend who works in a Toyota Dealership service department and he said in almost all cases it's the batteries in the fob that need replacing. I was a little dubious as the car was less than 2 years old and both fobs were acting the same way but tried it anyway. Bought a card of 10 Duracell CR2032 on eBay for £8, stuck one in each fob and no more starting problems. You may have a point about the clutch switch though and I find that you really do have to press the clutch all the way to the floor.  Must have a look some day and see if the switch can be adjusted so as to avoid having to mash the pedal into the carpet every time I want to start.

Thanks for the reply Brian, the Battery I've replaced it with had been sitting in a drawer for a few years maybe worth getting some new ones. I'll let you know how I get on. I should have a manufactures warranty still but the last owner missed a service, dreading going in and asking :(

thanks again

Paul

Definitely try a few new batteries. Not sure what Toyota GB are like on warranty but our local Irish dealer is very accommodating. Father's Urban Cruiser developed a serious problem with diesel leaking into the engine oil. Level started rising on the dipstick !!!! Even though the car was out of warranty they still honored the claim and carried out major modifications to the engine free gratis. Regrading batteries, saw a few comments on the web about pound shop ones not being up to the job but I guess what can you expect for a pound :-)

Very true regarding batteries. Just ordered 2 duracells from Amazon for £1.60 fingers crossed. Love the car though right up my street just putting a wee dampener on things today sitting outside screwfix trying to start the ( haha can't use bl**dy )thing, I'm terrified to lift off the clutch at traffic lights in case it doesn't start.

with regards to Toyota it's due a service soon so I'll broach the subject then assuming all well in the meantime.

cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update to help out any future RAV owners. I replaced the fob batteries which probably helped a lot but the main thing to note is that as you dip the clutch right at the start of movement you can hear a switch click but you will get dodgy results when trying to start the car. The little wireless key symbol on the dash wont stay on long enough to start the car and will seem intermittant, sometimes you can start the car other times you have to faff around. My problem was and im sure most other drivers are the same when using a clutch pedal, I wasnt pushing the clutch pedal to the floor. There must be a secondary sensor at the end of clutch travel which enables full keyless start.

It now works absolutely perfectly, hope that helps others.

Thanks for all the fish

Paul

Thanks for the update, always nice to know if resolved & if so, how.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links