Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A question about changing spark plugs

m456an

I just got the car 4 weeks ago, just doing a little service. Yesterday I cleaned the pcv valve, today doing spark plugs and 1,2, and 4 done. Cannot take out ignition coil out of no. 3  plug, looked at a video which suggested to remove panel behind spark plugs. Is this the way to do it, even broke a little plastic piece of the ignition coil but can't take it out.

Which video? 

When I changed the plugs I recall having to unplug all of the feeds on all four of the ignitors. Then remove the 10mm bolts/nuts which secure the wiring harness for those plugs. Once this is moved out of the way there's enough space to unbolt all of the ignitors. 

The clips which hold these plugs in place need to be eased clear. Pushing on the toggle won't lift the tap high enough so a fine screwdriver is required to raise it the last mm as you pull the plug off each ignitor.  

• Thanks 1

I broke clip 1, then using a lot of strength got another clip out, the other 2 I got out with a screwdriver. Here is the video:

He mentions trouble with the 3rd spark plug. The ones I am taking out are denso copper, and spark plug ends seem to suggest the engine is well. I am replacing  with twin tip Iridium which are cheaper than oem and are good for 100,000 miles.

The video guidance is wrong. If you follow my suggestion by removing all four plugs at the same time and then unbolting the wiring harness, there'll be no problem. 

The clips should never be forced. Once the clip is raised to clear the tab, a broad tipped screwdriver is then used to gently lever the plug away from the igniter socket. 

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

The Valvematic engine is even more awkward than the Mk2 VVTi because the cowling cover and wiper has to be removed to remove coils 3 and 4. Plus the socket is a smaller 14mm thin walled. My bits are further down the following post.

One quick note - I noticed in the video above and Peter Finn's -  

both disconnect the Battery! I have never did this and understand the reason for disconnecting, but 'luckily' never had a problem. For those with satnav, make sure the disc is handy and in place!  

• Confused 1

On 18/10/2017 at 8:28 PM, gazza1286 said:

Which video? 

When I changed the plugs I recall having to unplug all of the feeds on all four of the ignitors. Then remove the 10mm bolts/nuts which secure the wiring harness for those plugs. Once this is moved out of the way there's enough space to unbolt all of the ignitors. 

The clips which hold these plugs in place need to be eased clear. Pushing on the toggle won't lift the tap high enough so a fine screwdriver is required to raise it the last mm as you pull the plug off each ignitor.  

You are right the video is wrong. Thanks, easily came out when I took all coils off and the back thing. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links