Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Update 6.10.0H now available

thecaretaker

Autumn 2017 Map Update 6.10.0H now available from the e-store.

The download is a massive 6.9gig.

Mr T says...

Using map updates could cut your fuel consumption by up to 12% by cutting down the distances you drive, saving you money and reducing your carbon footprint.

Over 700,000 street names and 300,000 speed limits change every year across Europe. Stay one step ahead with this update that installs a default set of European countries (between 30 and 42) onto your navigation device.

The latest map update for your vehicle contains essential updates to new roads, addresses, speed limits and also any improvements we make to the interface of your navigation device to make it even easier to get to where you want to go.

Who is going to be the brave one and be the first to install it :unsure:

No way will I try to download and install it myself. I will leave it to the dealer at next service. Had too much trouble in the past trying to download and install Sat /Nav updates.

I’ve updated mine once and it went very smoothly, but I will wait to see if it’s worth doing first :dry:

Hi Downloaded and installed no obvoius changes, hope they fixed the sound level problems will have to wait and see. Why can't they supply a fix log so you know what changes have been made .

• Like 1

I updated mine. All went smoothly. Only thing I noticed tonight was the voice recognition button on the steering wheel doesn't seem to be working. I press it and nothing happens. I will have a look in the morning when its light. It maybe the volume is turned down to zero which means I'm not hearing the instruction.

The 'lady in the map' turn instructions is working and I can put a route in manually, it is just the button seems not to work working properly.

No new features in the update.

• Thanks 1

Just done mine, took 20 mins for UK and Ireland maps and gracenote.

Hi Sat Nav sound levels still not fixed, still 18 months  not that long to wait for a working system

I've never updated mine since I got the car June last year.

I'd be pleased to hear from those who've taken the plunge as to whether everything else seems to work ok (I always have the sound off anyway), particularity USB music library.  I'm not too worried whether the voice command works either, as I hardly ever use it.

And if anyone does discover any improvements to the interface for either SatNav or infotainment please let us know.  I'm surprised in this day and age it's not possible to save multi-stop journeys on the SatNav, like has been possible on even quite cheap third party units for over 15 years!

13 hours ago, PeteB said:

I've never updated mine since I got the car June last year.

I'd be pleased to hear from those who've taken the plunge as to whether everything else seems to work ok (I always have the sound off anyway), particularity USB music library.  I'm not too worried whether the voice command works either, as I hardly ever use it.

And if anyone does discover any improvements to the interface for either SatNav or infotainment please let us know.  I'm surprised in this day and age it's not possible to save multi-stop journeys on the SatNav, like has been possible on even quite cheap third party units for over 15 years!

You can have multi-stop journeys, you add them to you overall journey as stopovers. I usually do them on MyToyota then either send to car or save to USB then download on the car.

1 hour ago, kithmo said:

You can have multi-stop journeys, you add them to you overall journey as stopovers. I usually do them on MyToyota then either send to car or save to USB then download on the car.

I'd like to be able to save multi-stop journeys on the device itself.

I've sorted the voice recognition problem out, it now takes 2 quick presses of the button on the steering wheel to activate voice recognition, not just the one. It took me a while fiddling in Tesco's car park waiting for my wife before I discovered this by accident. I'd almost resigned myself to installing the previous software again.

20 hours ago, PeteB said:

I'd like to be able to save multi-stop journeys on the device itself.

When you create your multi-stop journey on my Toyota and download it to the car it is saved on the car as is.

I haven't worked out how to add stopovers on the car nav itself yet, it's not intuitive at all is it. :huh:

4 hours ago, kithmo said:

When you create your multi-stop journey on my Toyota and download it to the car it is saved on the car as is.

I haven't worked out how to add stopovers on the car nav itself yet, it's not intuitive at all is it. :huh:

Adding stop-offs in the car is easier than on the Gen 3 Prius SatNav:

1. enter final destination
  2. enter another destination, when selecting Go a menu appears with options cancel/add/replace.
  3. Selecting 'add' creates a way-point (or stop-off).  Up to 10 stops can be programmed this way (twice the Gen 3 limit).

I often want to do this while out and about, so using myToyota would be a pain unless I keep a laptop in the car!  If only I could save the list in the car, just like TomToms (and other makes) do.

You could use the My Toyota app (make sure it's the Europe one, "Toyota Motor Europe (TME)") on your phone to create the multi-stop journey then send it to the car.  If the phone is connected for internet the sent journey should come through and appear in your saved journeys.

15 hours ago, kithmo said:

You could use the My Toyota app...

True.  If the in-built SatNav was my primary tool, I possibly would, but it's probably just as quick to enter them manually if there are only 2-4 stops.  Still would be better to be able to save and reload a whole journey though.

Since it's maps and traffic are so much better, I almost always use my TomTom.  It's no hassle really, I've a beanbag with the suction mount directly behind the steering wheel.  It sits nicely above the wheel and below the HUD.

When I pop the unit onto the magnetic mount, it turns on automatically, and turns off either when I switch the car off of remove it from the mount.  I only set up the built-in unit in case the TomTom suction mount falls off at the wrong moment when I'm off-piste, so to speak (it only does this once or twice during the summer).  Then the car's unit is ready to go at a single button touch until I can stop and safely reattach the TomTom.

I installed the free Autumn 2017 Update today.

The instructions in MyToyota are pretty good and easy to follow. It took about 20 minutes to download the file (8.1gig) from MyToyota to my PC then another 5 minutes to extract the files and transfer to the USB stick. You can obtain guidance on how to extract if you Google it.

I used my mobile phone to provide the link between MyToyota and my car infotainment system. You need to set phone to bluetooth tethering to provide the link.

It then took all of 40 minutes to transfer the data from the USB stick to the car infotainment and you must keep your engine running throughout.

Having done the Spring 2017 Update earlier this year I didn't find this update difficult to carry out. If you let a dealer do it then you might be looking at least 2  hours labour.

Must say that so far I haven't noticed any improvements/differences but as the update was 4.1 gigabytes it must have included a lot of changes!

When I did an update earlier this year I found that you can reduce the time taken for the last step (USB to Car) by selecting just the maps you require instead of the default all Europe but it takes time to do the selection as you had to deselect all the other countries. I would have though that the country selection could be done at the first step to speed up the whole process. Can anyone who has installed the update tell me if the new Mersey Gateway bridge between Widnes and Runcorn is on the map - my current map does not even show it as a proposed new road despite the layout being known for years.

11 hours ago, Mr Wolf said:

... as the update was 4.1 gigabytes it must have included a lot of changes!

I think it downloads complete replacement maps rather than just changes.  When I did updates on my previous Gen 3 Prius, it was hard to see any mapping improvements.

Some roads that had opened over 5 years earlier were still not shown (according to my SatNav, I drove across a lot of fields!) and many speed limits were still wrong.  I stopped bothering for the last year I had the car.

In contrast, the free for life (which means about 20 years in reality) quarterly updates on my TomTom often show roads that  only opened a couple of months earlier.

It also updates the Gracenote database for CD recognition.

Ive updated mine and Im impressed - new Queensferry Crossing is included already! No issues so far between Falkirk/Glasgow/Stirling/Fife 

• Like 1

I got caught out when visiting Tunbridge Wells last week. The roundabout I used to turn off for Tunbridge Wells had gone. I wonder how long it will take for the map to reflect the new A21 Tonbridge - Pembury upgrades? Going on previous updates, it can be 3-4 years before they get updated. I'll be long out of the free offerings by then and I wouldn't pay the £109 it costs to update.

On 01/11/2017 at 11:14 AM, Silver Dream Machine said:

Ive updated mine and Im impressed - new Queensferry Crossing is included already! No issues so far between Falkirk/Glasgow/Stirling/Fife 

As that bridge was in the update I have just done mine to see if the Merseygateway bridge was on the new map. After the long wait to download, extract to USB, upload just UK to car I was pleased to see the new bridge now appears on the map. I then set up a journey to my cousin that means I have to cross the Mersey and the upgraded software ignored the new bridge and set a route over the old one which is now closed. I will be trying this route as soon as I get my sticker for the toll that is now being charged for what used to be a free crossing.

20171105_140611[1].jpg

Edit - Just tried Journey Planner via My Toyota and its route did use the new bridge

journey panner.JPG

Edited by aCactus
More info after using Journey Planner

Has anyone with the latest update used the USB music feature, and if so, can you please confirm it still works ok?  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Has anyone with the latest update used the USB music feature, and if so, can you please confirm it still works ok?  Thanks.

Just tried it in my C-HR and it works - didn't try anything clever just put the stick in, selected it as source and it started playing first track.

• Like 1