Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hand brake issue-suggestions?

magicdaps10

Hello,

Have an issue with the handbrake.

For starters, has a lot of play.......about 9 notches before it holds.

Holds ok on most inclines but on a steep incline i have a issue. After using handbrake at steep incline, say i come to a stop or pulling off, there is a rumble coming from the back wheels. Does not happen most of the time, only after use on steep inclines as stated.

Any suggestions taking into account all that i have posted?

Hi,

What servicing has been done on the rear drums/handbrake ?

Your problem could be worn or dirty  brake shoes /  drum/disc  and /or  badly adjusted shoes  and if all of those are good, then you can take up any excess cable slack /lever movement by using the cable adjuster down by the side of the handbrake lever. ( console/tidy needs to be removed for access to it)

A rumble when setting off, suggests your shoes may not be releasing fully.

It should be holding fully at 4,5 or 6 clicks, 9 clicks will probably fail the mot.

Agree with oldcodger.

There are adjustments at each rear wheel and under the handbrake inside the car.  The wheel adjustment checks the position at the drum whilst inside the car takes up the cable slack.

Suggest that the rear drums need a look at.  Corolla's seem to have a weakness on their brakes.  Get rear drums checked, and pads and shoes.  Might all need freeing up and or some parts replacing.  When was the last time they were looked at?

I regularly replace the brake components as it what helps you stop!  That and tyres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links