Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise control increments

tardis56

Have a 2016 2.0D with radar cruise control. In the handbook it says you can go up in speed increment by nudging the up lever (in 1 mph increments I guess) or by a longer press which does 5 mph increments. There is no way it goes up in 1 mph however quickly i press it - any ideas?

So how does it behave? :)

I have the boring old standard cruise control (no radar following capability) so it may be different but I can't think why it should be.

• Just 'flicking' the lever does nothing.
  • One solid push and release (say half a second) increases or decreases the currently set cruising speed by around 1 mph but it does take a little while to react.
  • Push and hold will progressively increase / reduce the set cruising speed until you release it - useful, say, when reaching the end of the 50 mph restriction in the road works and getting back up to 70 mph. But there is a little lag before it reacts and the acceleration is gentle.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. If I push it momentarily it goes up 5mph, if i flick it up or down as per manual, it goes up or down 5mph - there is no 1 mph increments.

Recently returned from the USA where I had a Camry as a hire car - the CC on that would go up in 1mph increments. It's possible that the manual is incorrect for European vehicles (they always have E&OE statements).

14 hours ago, tardis56 said:

Sorry for the delay. If I push it momentarily it goes up 5mph, if i flick it up or down as per manual, it goes up or down 5mph - there is no 1 mph increments.

My hybrid RAV does indeed go up one mph per upward flick, it does have to be a definite push though, a “quick flick”does nothing at all....

downward decreases by one mph... 

hold it in either direction does reduce or increase progressively....

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue with the new RAV4. 5mph increments are just too big but the manual says this is part of the EU spec. I'll try it without the radar to see if that's the same. If the units are set to km the increments are much less (5 km/h) but I haven't tried this.

With my hybrid RAV 2018 with radar cruise control it changes with 5 mph increments. With cruise control set to non radar ( by pushing the on button for 3 secs) it changes by 1mph. Agree 5mph increments are too large.

As Robo1 states. When you put cruise control on it defaults to radar cruise control giving increments of 5 mph. Pushing the button for 3 secs switches it into non-radar cruise control giving an increment of 1 mph. This was also identical to the 2018 Rav4 version. It does seem strange, probably there were 2 teams designing both radar and non-radar versions and they didn't talk to each other, or they were working to different protocols. I doubt there will be a way of changing or correcting this for this model.

I personally hate having radar cruise control so for me this is not an issue, I go straight to non-radar cruise control.

• 1 month later...

Just got my RAV4 Hybrid and Scottydog007 is absolutely correct - 5mph increments in radar cruise and then either 1mph increments in non radar cruise for a quick tap on the + or - buttons of 5mph increment for a longer push on the + or - buttons.  I find this very confusing and it would be much better to have the same effect regardless of radar or non radar cruise preferably the 1 mph and 5mph  option.  Reading the manuals is not much help either as different manuals appear to conflict with each other.

I find the dangerous change of speed when in radar cruise is to decrease.  The 5mph reduction is not gradual but the brakes go to bring the speed down straight away.  You have to be careful no one is right behind.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links