Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis VSC / VSC OFF light illuminated

Silverfoxcub69

I’ve been resting with the above problem for some time. Before the light came on the car was fine and serviced regularly. I’ve taken the car to Toyota Spain and they said it was an O2 Sensor that needed changing (not sure which one, as i believe there are 4). Picked the. Car up and drove out for a few KM, and the light illuminated again. Took the car straight back and after a further hour, they were none the wiser. What they did say was that it might be a faulty ‘valve’, which they were going to order up and change as required.

The car drives ok without any problems and the garage assured me that driving it with the VSC light on was ok. I await to take the car back next week when the part arrives. Not feeling very ‘warm and fuzzy’ about their ‘fix’ solution, as it’s already cost me 350 euros for a new O2 Sensor including nearly 100 euros of ‘diagnostic’ fees. If anyone has experienced anything similar or can offer any ‘light’ on the subject, i’d Like to hear from you.

I’ve had the car for 15 years and it’s been a good car (now 142,000 miles covered)

Many Thanks

Martin

Which valve, I hope it is not the pcv valve, which can be checked in a few seconds and are expensive. The old lambada sensor probably just needed cleaning.

Thank you for your reply. I’ve not had a full explanation from the garage but i’ll Speak more next week. The O2 Sensor is the Llambada type which they said cleared the fault but this is a new one. What valve it is...i know not. They’ve ordered it up and i suppose i’ll Have to wait ans see!!!

• Confused 1

I did some research on the net, and it seems this light goes on with the engine light. Perhaps take it to an independent garage, who may prefer to check and clean parts instead of replacing parts. If you have diesel it could be egr valve?

I would ring them up and find out which valve it is, and try to cancel the order, then take the car to your local garage and get a second opinion.

The VSC and VSC lights are the only lights on, no engine management light is on. Interestingly, i needed to clean the Battery area which involved disconnecting the Battery and removing it. When complete, i reconnected and started the car and the VSC/VSC OFF lights had extinguished. I started the car and all lights were out so took it for a drive and all was well until the car dropped into overdrive and the VSC light illuminated (travelling straight and level). I got home and disconnected and reconnected the Battery again, started the car, and all lights were out...ummmm i thought.... but still none the wiser. (Car is 2001 2.OL VVTi Avensis CDX petrol)

Still waiting for the garage to contact me.

My '01 Avensis which I've owned for 5 years (I think) have occasionally had the VSC/VSC Off lights come on. A couple of times the lights came on when I tried to start the car, but it wouldn't start on the first try. I have tried using an OBD2 reader, but no error codes that seemed to be related to that came up. I have just disconnected the Battery, waited 5 minutes and then reconnected it again. My car is the same year and has the same engine as yours, but has manual transmission and Sol equipment level.

Don' think the pcv would set eml. Although the diagnosis should bring up the "valve"they say they think it is.take out pcv and clean it along with hoses a quick look on eBay for a new 1 if needed  for around 20 pounds.clean the throttle body and icv .

I spoke to the Spanish Toyota garage here in Velez Malaga this morning about this. There’s a young English mechanic working there (speaks good spanish too) who told me they have made investigations around the Toyota network and believe this valve change may cure the problem (had similar symptoms on several other cars of my type/vintage). I explained about disconnecting the Battery and all, but he said the fault will return if not fixed (and it did).

Incidentaly, when the VSC light is on, the automatic transmission gearbox won’t select overdrive. For some reason this VSC fault interacts with the EMU/gearbox selection. I know, because when i cleared the fault and took it for a drive, all worked fine for about 15mins, but as soon as the light came on, (and slowing down to under 20km/hr) and then re-accelerating up to 80km/hr, the revs were at 3000rpm (and should be 2000). All this info i passed on to the Toyota mechanics.

So, will wait with baited breath on Monday morning to see if the ‘Sun’ comes out at Toyota........(watch this space!!):cool:

When i bought my 08 plate Tourer,  the VSC light was on all the time. Cleaning the EGR valve (which was completely bunged up) made the light go out.

Interesting comment, as i’m Not sure which ‘valve’ they are changing, but i will be asking on Monday when i take the car in. Also, was it necessary to change the O2 Sensor if the fault was still there??...or indeed, it could be 2 different faults giving the same VSC warning light!!! Food for thought!

Just realised the previous comment refers to a D4D diesel avensis, as mine is a petrol 2.0L VVTi CDX..and I don’t think petrol cars use this type of regulator....thanks for your input.

7 hours ago, Silverfoxcub69 said:

Interesting comment, as i’m Not sure which ‘valve’ they are changing, but i will be asking on Monday when i take the car in. Also, was it necessary to change the O2 Sensor if the fault was still there??...or indeed, it could be 2 different faults giving the same VSC warning light!!! Food for thought!

To be honest the diagnostic tests should of told them if the 02 sensor was going bad providing they looked at the right sensor either upstream or downstream. Of course that's if they even looked at it via diagnostic equipment.