Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Previa D4D Engine Problems

LozJames

Hi Guys

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section but I'm at the end of my tether with our 12 year old 2005 Previa D4D.

When we bought it a year ago it had a full service history from Toyota and a verified low mileage of 90,000 miles (should have realised this meant it had only done short trips) - and it was perfect for us with our 3 kids. It was fine for the first 9 months - and then:

- It started losing power between 2-3000 revs every time it was used, meaning you had to skip it up into 3rd or 4th to make it drive smoothly

So, we had it serviced - all the pipes checked, new fuel filter, cleaned air filter etc. The garage said no error codes were showing so we took it home.

Then - the fault carried on and got a bit worse. So we got it checked again and no faults were found at a different garage. So we took it home again.

- Once more - the lag in power continued, with the issue spreading to 4th gear - and being very bad when the engine was cold. You could literally have your foot on the floor and there would be no power.

So, we took it back to another garage who couldn't find any error codes again - and suggested we fit a new turbo, which we did - and we also put some fuel injector and pollen filter cleaner in the tank.

The problem then got worse - with the lack of power spreading through the whole range - so I'm not confident it's safe for my wife and kids to drive in anymore (so I won't sell it to another family until it's fixed).

So - I ordered a full 3 stage carbon cleaning service to flush out the catalytic converter, pollen filter, turbo, cylinders, EGR valve, MAF sensor and SCV valves.

Then I took it out on the duel carriageway to build up some heat to burn off any dislodged carbon and the thing is practically un-driveable now - I don't have any confidence it will pull when I need it to.

So that leaves me with:

- Cleaning and/or replacing the EGR valve

- Cleaning and/or replacing the SCV valves

- Cleaning and/or replacing the MAF sensor

- Cleaning and/or replacing the catalytic converter

- Cleaning and/or replacing the pollen filter

- Cleaning and/or replacing the ????????????

There are still no error codes coming up (I even bought my own OBDII scanner to try and find the issue to no avail) - so I'm now £1,500 down with a spacious family car that won't work properly.

I know there are some really skilled and experienced mechanics and Toyota owners on here - so I would be grateful if anyone could suggest what's wrong please?

For the moment I've run out of ideas and funds - so I want to be sure I know what's wrong before cleaning/replacing any of the things mentioned above.

Reading the forums it seems the D4D engine is a great one, but if you're unlucky enough to start getting these problems with them, they are rarely completely resolved.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me 🙂

Best wishes

Loz

Moved to the Toyota MPV club.

• 2 years later...
On 10/29/2017 at 10:28 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Toyota MPV club.

Hi Guys has anyone replied to LozJames if yes how can find it?

Many thanks Sahib

Any replies are listed within the same topic - like text message conversations.

In this instance, other than my post re moving the topic, and your post, no-one else has replied.

Out of curiosity when you say you have your foot to the floor is the engine revving hard or is there no revs at all? If it's revving hard and getting nowhere it might be a gearbox problem.

• 3 years later...

Hi did Loz cure the problem it sounds like i have the same help would be good. Thanks Roger

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links