Do Not Sell My Personal Information

siezed brake nipple's

biggun

Hi there,

Has anyone got any idea's how to free seized brake nipples on my 59 plate Verso T Spirit 2.0 D4D?

The garage dare not have a go in case they snap off.  Brakes are ok, I just wanted to change the brake fluid.

Many thanks for any help.  :smile:

P S. Where is the most economical place to buy replacement callipers from, should the worst come to the worst ?

Thanks again

Hi,

You might try this Halfords spray, it seems well-liked:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/rust-removal-treatment/halfords-shock-unlock-spray-400ml

Or you might try some ATF (auto transmission fluid) oil (seriously!), dripped on a few times, over a few days.

One American magazine reported the best rust-release agent they found on test was a DIY mix of acetone (e.g. nail varnish remover) and ATF.

I tried this, but for me it was a bit like mixing oil and water.

I would make sure you only use a hex socket (1/4 inch drive?), not a bi-hex, on it, so the nipple doesn't get mangled so quickly, and try applying pressure to tighten a tiny bit before attempting to loosen, then tighten again etc. etc.

I would have thought that before replacing the calliper, the old one, if put in a vice, could be sorted with heat.  Perhaps mask off sensitive surrounding parts with an old aluminium take-away container, cut and bent to just expose the nipple and surrounding area. Then a blow torch or better, whilst observing usual best safety practices!

I've had the same problem years ago and I found that the best solution is prepare prepare prepare. As Gerg mentions, I used a dismantling spray, but when I did my research, I found PlusGas to be highly recommended. Link below.

PlusGas Fast Releasing Fluid Dismantling Lubricant Oil For Rusted Bolts 200ml

Every 15 minutes for about 2 hours, I squirted each nipple with the spray, just to make sure it worked its magic. Then very carefully and gently, I eased off each nipple. In fact, I've used PlusGas on many other rusted nuts, bolts and screws with great success. Just remember not to rush the job and apply as much as you can over a long period.

Thanks guy's for your prompt response and your suggestions.  I'll give both your idea's a go.

It will be a little while before I can have a go at it, but I will put a reply on here with my results. 

Once again many thanks.