Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing battery in the key?

BALIKBAYAN

My keys to the car starts to be very bad. The key I use all the time has lost the lock button, but I can still use it if I put my fingernail in the hole of the button and press the tiny button inside of the key. I tried my spare key, wich I never use, but bring with me when I go on longer trips (holidays etc...), has stopped working. I guess it needs a new Battery. I read in the workshop manual about changing the Battery in the transmitter inside of the key. It looks like it is a very simple job to do, but I could not find wich kind of Battery I need to buy. It was only mentioned lithium battery. Please see the attached file. What kind of battery do I need to buy?

I plan to change battery next week as I will be away with the car the week after that and I want to bring two working keys with me.

m_73_0017.pdf

Its an easy job just open one key and you'll see the Battery type on the Battery , I did both my Yaris keys for a 2008 model , easy job.

My 2008 has the standard 3-button key. I fitted a CR2016. 

There's a number of YouTube videos which describes the process. However I couldn't find a one which was specific for that particular key - but the principal is the same.  A watchmaker's cross head driver is required. Make sure you apply firm downward pressure to avoid rounding the screw. 

Or you could take it to a locksmith, and tell them to try to fix the button also. Though I am not good with these things, every watch I have tried to replace Battery I have messed up.

With my old and current Avensis, I alternated the use of the keys to minimise wear on the buttons. I sold my old Avensis with the keys in good condition and the complete set. I have seen Avensis keys in shocking state, and these cars are younger than old Avensis. Some owners do not take care, until a key stops working or lost, leaving the car unable to function properly. 

Toyota keys are not the worse though. Some cars have a special master key, which if lost makes the car nearly useless/worthless. I always check the car has all keys that come with it before purchase!
As for Battery change, I had an issue with the old Mk1 car when a key went out of sync. It is covered in the owner's manual. The current car does not have this system, but hopefully does not need it.

Thanx for the very good answer Gazza 1286. You were the only one who actually answered my question.

The most difficult in changing the Battery in the keys was to remember to buy a Battery and to find it in the shop. I changed the Battery in both keys, the grey key without buttons doesn't have any battery. I guess they will last at least 5 or 6 years from now. I doubt the car will last that long though. I bought 2 Energizer CR2016 for less than £ 3.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links