Do Not Sell My Personal Information

engine fan

polish

Hi took delivery of the new Yaris 1.5  in July this year.  The engine fan appears to come on even though I am not using the air con or sitting in traffic, my old yaris 2007 model; the fan only ever came on when using air con or in traffic especially in warm weather.

I wondered if anyone who has this new model could comment please?  Many thanks

Modern cars are designed to run with minimal coolant levels to speed up engine getting to working temperature and reduce emmissions. So fans run far more frequently than they used to.

• Thanks 1

Of course it's also possible that something developed a fault or software is buggy and needs updating. Best speak with your dealer and have them check it for you.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for both your answers, the dealer said that fans run more frequently, but my concern is I have only done 1020 miles since purchase in July and it seems to have been on almost continuously,  It has been logged at the dealership and they are very good, have been with them since my previous new yaris SR in 2007, but even that did not come on like this. 

I have a 2012 Honda Jazz and the fan comes on at start up.

Hi Ian

Has your fan never come on whilst driving?  or do you mean it is not on continuously as mine is?  that is interesting as yours is the new model yaris like mine.

The current Yaris is a facelift of the 2011 model, and the 1.5 engine used in the petrols is a reworking of the previous 1.33. So the current Yaris isn't that "new".

I've noticed that the fan on my Aygo comes on more often than my previous Auris.

I would only get concerned if you notice the temperature gauge showing a higher than normal operating temperature.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

would only get concerned if you notice the temperature gauge showing a higher than normal operating temperature.

I think you'll find modern temperature gauges aren't analogue, but are digital with only three positions - cold, normal and hot.

• Thanks 1

Hello Mike yes I realise it is not 'new' but is newer than my previous 2007 SR model and thanks for the information about your Aygo. 

10 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

I think you'll find modern temperature gauges aren't analogue, but are digital with only three positions - cold, normal and hot.

True. However if the OP notices the gauge is showing 'hot' rather than 'normal', that is an indication the car is operating at a higher temperature than normal. Similar to a fridge where one may turn the thermostat down from '4' to '3' - the fridge will operate at a higher temperature.

An unnecessary comment!

Hi Julie

I have only had the car a matter of weeks but I have not noticed the fan coming on at all.

• Like 1

Hi Ian thanks for that.  If you have the music or radio on it is not noticeable, I only found out it was doing this on the occasion i did not have the music on?

Hi Ian

No it stops as soon as you turn off the ignition, my previous yaris SR 2007  used to continue running after the engine was turned off though.

Travelled 10 miles today from work and had a look at fan to see if it was running and yes it was running but I could not tell until I lifted the bonnet.It then kicked into full speed and you would have been able to tell within the car.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ian, so it seems it is normal for the fan to run most of your journey?  would you mind letting me know how soon it comes on when you set off?

Many thanks

I suspect the OP's car (Excel trim) has automatic climate control and auto is selected? If it isn't then it should be! What's the point otherwise?

If that is the case, the fan will turn on in conjunction with said climate control. My Icon+ has climate conrol permanently on "auto" and 20 degC. Out of curiosity, this morning, I checked and the cooling fan turned on almost straight away after the engine was started.

I cannot hear the fan from inside the car. But can detect the compressor loading and unloading. Is that what the OP thinks is the fan?

• Like 1

Hello Peter the automatic climate control is not selected to auto, but you say it should be?  why is this, sorry but new to this?  also yes I can hear the fan inside the car if no music etc on and would not know what the compresser loading and unloading is if connected to having the climate control on.   If you open the window on your destination before pressing off the ignition then you can hear the fan and it stops as soon as you do turn off.

As said previously my previous SR yaris purchased in 2007 brand new - the fan only came on when standing in traffic, warm weather etc but never most of or all of the journey.  thanks Julie

Climate control set to auto does all the heater controls for you - it selects the fan speed and which vents the air comes out from, and whether air con is used or not.  It's job is to get the inside of the car to your required temperature as quick and efficiently as possible.  I personally like the auto feature, but it isn't so good on some occasions. 

Consider, for example, my daily commute of about half an hour - for the first few mins it sets the heater to screen only and has the fan down low, then as the engine heats up it increases the fan speed and opens the feet vent, thus you get a hurricane of hot air for a while, then it progressively calms down as the car gets hotter, and after the car nears your required temp (after maybe 10-15 mins) it settles into feet and screen mode with a moderately low fan speed - perfect.

Now consider a short 5 min journey - the fan has just started blasting out hot air but the inside of the car is still quite cold.  Now if you stop the car the inside will be steamed up when you get back.  And repeat on your return journey etc.  And the fan is almost always running at 'loud and intrusive' mode most of the time you're in it.

" but you say it should be?  why is this, " Because, that's what it's there for.

It's not just temperature control, hence it's description. Mine works perectly, is on "auto" and 20 degC (substitute your preference) all year. It ensures that the air conditioning (note conditioning) is used regularly and the interior remains mostly condensation free. Remember, that when on "auto" all the vents need to be open.

Julie

Driven to work today (10 miles) without radio on and can't say whether the fan came on or not.

• Thanks 1

Which "fan"?

Sat inside the car, ignoring various cooling fans for the car computers and Battery (warning: I have better than average hearing), I hear several fans/coolant pumps:

* General blower fan for the vent system (controlled by the climate up/down fan selector)
* Blower fan/pump for the air conditioner (inside the module - can be heard starting/stopping frequently - stops if you switch off the AC)
* Secondary fan for the vent system (there is another fan that runs for the heater when it is set to anything but LO)

Sat outside, there are two more fans:

* General radiator cooling fan for the engine
* Cooling fan for the aircon radiator***

*** I'm not sure if there really are two fans or not - if not, it steps up between different speeds, giving the illusion of multiple fans. You can't miss it.

When the OAT is at +29 C or higher, then the cooling fans for both the engine and aircon fire up and the car sounds like it is turbine powered! It is so loud I actually made a video of it. It's rather impressive. These fans can't be heard inside over the sound of the blower fan, but you can hear them if you roll down the window.

They stop when the car is switched off.

If these fans are audible when you first start the car and the OAT is only +10 C, then I suggest there is a problem, and you want to get this checked out. Just be sure that you aren't hearing the cabin fan (set it to minimum, but not OFF). You'll know the difference - the radiator fans are loud!