Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Terrible headlights

Rollo316

Hi this is my first time posting and I'm sure this topic has came up a lot.

i recently purchased the  Auris business edition, 2016 I've recently noticed that the dipped headlights are not that good in the dark, for a new car I would expect the lighting to project better which it doesn't.  My Mazda 2 headlights seemed better than this car lol.  Just wondering if anyone has upgraded the headlights to better bulb etc ? 

Cheers 

If your car has the HIR2 bulbs, the only direct replacement upgrade currently available is the Osram Cool Blue Intense, which provides up to an approximate 20% increase in brightness. However at around £36 per bulb, they are quite expensive - https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-cool-blue-intense-hir2-single

There are new Toyota HIR2 bulbs avaliable. I've just got them on my Auris. The light is much more bright, the factory ones were more yellow. I think Toyota calls them 'Optiwhite' and claims 60% more light. The price is around 60£ for the pair. 

Hi nielshm where did you get the bulbs from ? The only ones I've came across are orsam intense blue and standard philips hir2.  Neither claim to give 60% brighter light  

8 hours ago, Rollo316 said:

Hi nielshm where did you get the bulbs from ? The only ones I've came across are orsam intense blue and standard philips hir2.  Neither claim to give 60% brighter light  

I just asked my local Toyota dealer, and they installed the bulbs too. 

1509515044647499762758.jpg

• Thanks 1

There is some improvement. The light is more White, better brightness. The range is better, but not much. The thing about light is that you forget in 10 sec. how the old bulbs used to perform. 

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough, in my experience (Auris Excel Hybrid 2015) the dipped headlights are OK, but it's the main beams that seem not to be so bright.   My partner reckons the headlights in her Citroen C1 are brighter, and those in my previous car (2010 Fiesta Zetec) were certainly brighter.  I saw some supposedly brighter bulbs for sale in Halfords but they were £35 each, and  I wasn't particularly keen to take a gamble.  I do also find that I get flashed by oncoming drivers, as I think the automatically-leveled dipped beams are aimed a bit too high, and I don't know if I can (or how to) adjust them myself.

1 hour ago, Sir Jestalot said:

I saw some supposedly brighter bulbs for sale in Halfords but they were £35 each,

In the UK, the Toyota Optiwhite HIR2 bulbs are £48.77 including VAT for a pair.

Thanks Frostyballs, I'll ask my local Toyota dealer about the Optiwhites.

If you have a service plan, that may also provide a discount on parts .....

• 3 years later...

I found a replacement LED bulb)from ABD of Southampton it has a quartz tube to carry the diode lighting to the original positions of the light source to provide a flat topped beam on dip that does give it a pass on MOT's the bulb is called 20twenty and is brighter and whiter than filament  bulbs 

7 minutes ago, Peter 101 said:

I found a replacement LED bulb)from ABD of Southampton it has a quartz tube to carry the diode lighting to the original positions of the light source to provide a flat topped beam on dip that does give it a pass on MOT's the bulb is called 20twenty and is brighter and whiter than filament  bulbs 

MOT rules changed earlier this year - 

3 hours ago, Peter 101 said:

& from their own FAQs " 🚗 Are LED car bulbs legal?

LED bulbs are road legal in the UK only if your vehicle's headlights were purpose built for LED's.

Upgrading the technology from Halogen to LED is technically not road legal as they cannot be E-marked."

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/faqs.html#led

Toyota used Phillips (Germany) LL bulb HIR2.  It is rated as 1350 lumens instead of standard HIR2 1850 lumens.  Philips LL last about 100 000 km and extend the life rate at about 2000 hours. Standard HIR2 from Hella in Amazon is 1850 lumens and rated for about 500 hours.  So I installed HELLA HIR2 in my Auris and I noticed slight brightness improvement.  Personally I prefer the smooth and homogeneous beam pattern projector headlight in Auris than older car with brighter middle parts in reflector headlight.   I can see the side of the road and surrounding better with projector headlight because my iris adjust to the brightest spot.  I installed decent LED bulb, it is very bright (almost like HID) in the middle but have some dark spots that I do not like. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Glc said:

Can I ask will chaging light bulbs invalidate a warranty?

No, but the replacement bulbs won't be covered by the Toyota warranty.

• Thanks 1

I think Light bulb is never included outside 3 y warranty period.  I am experimenting with some LED bulb and I found Bevinsee V35 and v45 is really bright (literally 3x brighter than phillips OEM bulb).  Don't buy random model and brands. Bevinsee V55 is more expensive, very hot, but not bright.    The installation process is very easy and straght forward. Make sure it is clocked at 3 and 9 position on the LED chips.  Removing it is little tricky since the colars are often cought inside the headlight housing. After several trials and alignment, it should come out without issues. I believe it is not legal in UK but legal in Ireland as long as it is calibrated properly and does not blind other drivers. In principle, projector headlights never leak any glare unlike reflector headlights. However, the law is not allowing it yet. Especially with MOT test.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just sharing how it looks like in dusk time.  The sunlight was not completely out and the sky is still greyish. You can see how much brighter it is compared to street light.  With a Lux meter, it is literally 3x brighter from mid to the side of the headlights. Use it on your own risk.  I put it on based on the benefit vs cons (hitting curbs and potholes).  I can see much better at night especielly with tons of wildlife (wild pigs and deers) in my area.  I need to rotate the headlights adjustment from the cabin, 1 click down and absolutely no glare to anyone on the roads.  With 0 setting (maximum height), It is a little bit too high if there are 2 adults on the back seats. 

bevinseev45Auris.thumb.jpg.2890010fed23380f654e0a0b1421c44a.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, AisinW said:

Toyota used Phillips (Germany) LL bulb HIR2.  It is rated as 1350 lumens instead of standard HIR2 1850 lumens.  Philips LL last about 100 000 km and extend the life rate at about 2000 hours. Standard HIR2 from Hella in Amazon is 1850 lumens and rated for about 500 hours.  So I installed HELLA HIR2 in my Auris and I noticed slight brightness improvement.  Personally I prefer the smooth and homogeneous beam pattern projector headlight in Auris than older car with brighter middle parts in reflector headlight.   I can see the side of the road and surrounding better with projector headlight because my iris adjust to the brightest spot.  I installed decent LED bulb, it is very bright (almost like HID) in the middle but have some dark spots that I do not like. 

Are you sure about this? I thought the Aygo came from the factory standard with either Philips or Toshiba bulbs?

Mine has blown at 36,000 miles. So it has not got to 100,000 KM. I am now being quoted for optiwhite from TOYOTA I believe. Maybe I should ask for the eco-philips if that is what was originally fitted to the vehicle from factory?

EDIT* You are talking about this bulb right?

EDIT2* I forgot to post the link;

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/9012LLC1/longlife-ecovision-car-headlight-bulb

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WazWii said:

I thought the Aygo came from the factory standard with either Philips or Toshiba bulbs?

The second generation Aygo (2014-2021) were fitted with Philips HIR2 bulbs.

Toshiba stopped making HIR bulbs well before the second generation Aygo came out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The second generation Aygo (2014-2021) were fitted with Philips HIR2 bulbs.

Toshiba stopped making HIR bulbs well before the second generation Aygo came out.

So the Toshiba was for the first-generation. I see. The dealership is quoting me I assume for the optiwhites then? The standard Philips (that were fitted at production) must be different. 

3 minutes ago, WazWii said:

So the Toshiba was for the first-generation. I see.

No. The first generation Aygo (2005-2014) used a totally different bulb fitment - H4.

You don't have to use Toyota bulbs - there are several brands available as aftermarket bulbs, including Philips, Osram, Tungsram, Elta (including their other brand Lucas), PIAA, etc.

In a 2017 Aygo, the headlight bulbs are easy to replace .......

• Like 1

That is what is confusing me. The TOYOTA bulb pictured in this thread is made by Philips right? It just seems they do not list it on their website. So it just means they got the exclusive TOYOTA contract. 

The 150 Philips has not enough a lifespan (300 hours?). It seems it was the Philips eco's that were fitted initially at factory with 2000 hours (100,000 KM) lifespan but I got nowhere near this now it seems...

My dealer stated clearly they have a Toshiba. It was charged at a higher rate. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links