Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E.G.R clean : Avensis T27 2010 2.0 diesel

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All,

I’d like to try a quick clean of my egr valve, no particular reason, white smoke on start up, odd puff of black smoke now and again when i put my lead foot down, mpg has dropped to 36 recent possibly due to colder spells in the weather, otherwise she runs like a diesel should, its my first diesel and it takes getting used to with the sound of the engine, will be 2years this January. I only ever run her on Shell v power just to add, and serviced regularly by Toyota, extended warranty ends this January too!

Going via the black soot on the tail pipe i can only imagine what the egr would look like.

I have a new can of carb cleaner, and a can of brake cleaner, some gloves, and a toothbrush and a screwdriver ready, to be done in my kitchen sink if thats a good idea.

So, is there anything i need to be aware of guys? I assume its a case of taking disconnecting any electrical connections to it...do i need to disconnect the Battery btw? And then taking off the egr cooler pipe i think they call it...and lastly unbolt the egr...i wonder it theres any gaskets involved? After which clean it best i can taking care of any electrical connectors...and put it back togeather again. Hopefully the result will be a noticeable smoother and cleaner drive!

Would anything need cleaning? Turbo maybe?

ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

Thank you ALL

p.s current mileage 69500 miles !!!

Personally Sam I wouldn't bother, I looked at mine on the same model after 5 year's and it was clean and didn't need doing, unlike my earlier T25 which had to be cleaned regularly. Black smoke, power loss, etc.

Thank you revband, for your input mate.

I thought i’d give it a try this morning, with the help of my 18yr old trainee mechanic son bless him. It wasnt such a bad task actually. The only tools required were a 10mm and a 14mm socket with extension bar on a ratchet. I didnt expect two coolant pipes attached but they were easy to tackle. 

The egr cooler pipe was the first thing we removed, followed by the egr itself. Now the cooler pipe was pretty clean considering that its brand new and recently replaced by Toyota under warranty. The egr unit itself wasnt to bad either, easily cleaned with a can of carb cleaner. However once all removed, the section on the main engine itself, where the egr attaches to, was pretty much blocked up with soot, there was hardly any room for any more soot, so using a screwdriver and a vacuum cleaner, we got it pretty much like new again, using the carb cleaner to finish, we gave it a good spray inside toward the engine.

After putting her all back together again, we fired her up, a few revs to 4000rpm, and wow...alot of black smoke, and she was all cleared up...unless its my imagination she sounds alot healthier too.

So thats my input on cleaning an egr for those interested.

Thank you All

• Thanks 1

Hi Sam. I admire your enthusiasm in looking after your car. I don't know if you have already but there are plenty of video's on You Tube to watch how to do the jobs you mention. Just saying  this if ever you do decide to have a go at the job but as Dennis has said you might just be wasting your time but do let us know if ever you go for it and how you got on. Mike.

Thanks guys

My car pulls like a dream now, post egr clean at the weekend.

But please let me know, are there any reliable or reputable additives that icould use to keep it clean???

Sammy

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2017 at 9:08 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Thanks guys

My car pulls like a dream now, post egr clean at the weekend.

But please let me know, are there any reliable or reputable additives that icould use to keep it clean???

Sammy

Sammy

You could try Dipethane as addative. Costs around 10quid a litre but well worth it. Keeps all injectors and pipes 

clean and improves mpg up to 15%....I know cos I use it on all 3 cars in the family. Its made in Ireland and is used by Irish army on all their vehicles and is also used by IrishBus so it must be good!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links