Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many miles on a set of brakes, hybrid vs nonhybrid

nielshm

Some seems to change disks and pads, even if the car only has done 20-30.000 miles, especially on hybrid. How are durability of the brakes, if the car is hybrid or nonhybrid? My old Corolla had brakes changed every 40.000 miles, I hope that has been improved over the last 10 years. My own Auris has done 32.000 miles, and every thing seems fine. 

How long's a piece of string? My 2014 Auris has 48,000 miles on the clock and hasn't worn even halfway through  its first set of pads. That's because I drive everywhere on the motorway at 200 mph.  I have just had the brakes bled, though. Every three years, max. Golden rule. Somewhere there's a stacked set of hairpin bends with my name on it.....

The hybrids ought to last longer on a set of discs/pads, because it isn't just the friction that's stopping the car. But for a normal car in normal daily use, I'd expect to be changing everything at 50K intervals. Give or take 20K either way. Or maybe 30K. Or 40K. :cool:

2 hours ago, Countrylad said:

The hybrids ought to last longer on a set of discs/pads, because it isn't just the friction that's stopping the car.

All other things being equal that is probably true but as the brakes get used less the discs seem more prone to corrosion (the surface rust often doesn't get cleaned off as frequently/well) than on a non-hybrid.

My previous 2 corolla's (2nd hand) needed new discs and pads when I bought them, got rid of the cars before the discs or pads needed changing again. Brakes and clutch wear are a driver dependant thing. Now I drive a auris hybrid which is now 7 years old and as far as I know, the brake discs are still the original. The inspection report states the discs are 70% or is it 7mm left, despite the mileage being 40000 miles on the clock

My 2011 Auris hybrid has done 65,000 miles and the front pads are apparently 75% worn (3mm remaining) and require new discs (corrosion). I believe they are the originals. The Prius I had before did about 80,000 miles before any work was needed on the brakes.

The outer front pads appear to have about 5-6mm remaining and the discs look to be in good condition and hardly worn at all so I suspect its the inner surfaces that are corroded and wearing the pads. If we lived in a hot dry climate I suspect the brakes would last much longer!

• Like 1

I bought my 2010 Auris Hybrid 6 months ago with 62,000 and the dealer put new pads all round.