Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of getting a Toyota C-HR

steveowatt

Hi To all. 

I am a company car driver who has finally got the option to get a Hybrid that I like (the C-HR) I was getting it set up (going for the Dynamic range still toying on which grey  to get but that's another story) And then I stopped. 

I have a couple of concerns I guess mainly around the economy. I drive from Essex to Wembley most days of the week (generally go M25 M1 then A406 or sometimes M25, M11 A406) I currently drive a BMW 1 Series 1.6 Diesel Efficient Dynamic so my fuel economy is pretty good. I am driving to a place of work so pay for my own fuel. 

I am now slightly torn between going back to a diesel or taking the "punt" shall we say and go for a C-HR, I now have a VW Golf 1.6 SE TDI and a Toyota 1.8 Hybrid Dynamic sitting in my orders ready to go just gotta pick one! 

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps give me some ideas of economy on long motorway trips in this area, as anyone is aware the M25 is generally a car pack so my theory is that I would probably be a case to say that a Hybrid would probably fair pretty well in that environment. 

Also, anyone who happens to have a C-HR who can give me some feedback, have test drove one over the weekend and was really impressed! 

Anyone with their thoughts would be great :) 

Thanks 

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Topic moved to the C-HR club.

I bought a dark grey C-HR Hybrid Dynamic and have no regrets. I don't really know about fuel consumption on motorways as almost all of my journeys are in urban/suburban areas so a lot of stop/start short trips but I did make a special trip to nearest motorway to try out the speed control radar feature. The dynamic spec gives you lots of "toys" I found the proximity sensors to be too sensitive and the warnings too loud when parking at home due to gate posts, hedges, garden wall etc so had to get the dealer to change the setting (most things you can configure yourself but these are dealer only)

The "Gareth Jones on Speed" has two episodes about the C-HR but is mostly about the WRC Wales Rally, as he used the C-HR to commute up there. There's more about it in the second episode, but from what he said the car was faultless and a joy to drive.

• 1 month later...

I have had an ICON C-HR since Nov and done a couple of thousand miles now. The all round MPG ranges from around 55 to 65 (motorway and townish approx 50/50) driven pretty carefully. it does encourage careful driving for MPG (this should get better once worn in) one strange thing is it really does seem to be affected by temperature, and those figures are the same routes but at different temperatures. It seems below 5c the MPG drops quite a bit.

An example. I tested the vehicle when I got it new, using all three modes, ECO/Sport/Normal. Mixed driving. ECO returned approx 61MPG (figures using gauge which is pretty accurate compared with tank to tank figures) Sport returned approx 59 and Normal returned approx 67. Next week (colder) all different. Normal went down to 55, ECO similar, but Sport returned 64!!! These figures seem quite consistant even when flooring the old gal now and again. You wont get best MPG on motorway use alone because it makes little use of the electric assistance, though you can drop the throttle on downhill sections etc but generally it aint a motorway concept if you are looking for MPG. Diesels may be better of course but they are killing us and the planet. The M25 generally being a car park means the C-HR will excel of course :)

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, steveowatt said:

.... the M25 is generally a car park .....

For such a journey, an automatic is a boon. The Toyota Hybrids have the best automatic transmission (epicyclic) in the world! No contest except between Toyotas (or Lexii) hybrids. If you don't mind the smallish size, try out the Yaris Hybrid for the best mpg.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone - I'm thinking of getting a C-HR but the only thing that is putting me off is the acceleration. I'm not after a sports car but 11 seconds 0-62 is a bit on the slow side. 

My question - is anyone aware of Toyota bringing in a slightly more powerful engine for this model?

Thanks

As far as I 'm aware not this year.

The 2019 Auris due to go on sale in the first quarter of 2019 will have the option of a 2 litre 178bhp hybrid drivetrain, and this may make it into the C-HR afterwards.

4 hours ago, nick123jedi said:

Hi everyone - I'm thinking of getting a C-HR but the only thing that is putting me off is the acceleration. I'm not after a sports car but 11 seconds 0-62 is a bit on the slow side. 

My question - is anyone aware of Toyota bringing in a slightly more powerful engine for this model?

All our hybrids are very quick from the lights - the equivalent of a 0-60 of around 8 seconds - but only the 0-30 part :wink:

What I would want from the C-HR is a hybrid 4WD - can't see why they haven't made it. It would really shift if both electric motors could be fully active for the pull away. 

Hi Mike

I'm not looking for off the line speed - more for joining motorway and overtaking on motorway really but thanks for answering.

12 hours ago, nick123jedi said:

I'm not looking for off the line speed - more for joining motorway and overtaking on motorway really but thanks for answering.

Then 0-60 figures are not what you need. Look for the 50-70 figures. 

Our cars are like most EVs: you can have lots of power for short periods after which the system protects the batteries and electronics, for longevity.

A Prius review mentions "The Prius also sits in something of a sweet spot on the performance spectrum. We’ll not do it the disservice of pretending it’s fast but, if you really want to, you can let the 1.8-litre motor roar along at peak revs and keep up with the faster motorway madness." The C-HR has a similar setup to the Prius.

In summary: our hybrids will always be in the right gear for the performance you need and, in 'real' use, will be surprisingly nippy at legal speeds.