Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electronic parking brake problem

Joregan75

9 hours ago, Shavestick said:

Question (maybe a stupid one but can't see the answer in the manual).

Which wheels are secured by the EPB?
Is it just the rear like in a manual hand brake or all wheels?

The EPB is basically a small box mounted beneath the car containg a microprocessor-based controller and a small electric motor. There are a pair of short 'handbrake cables' which emerge from the box and go to the rear brake calipers. The design of the rear calipers is the same as on a manual handbrake car.

The motor pulls on the cable inners via a screw-turnbuckle arrangement. I think many failures are due to water ingress along the cables which causes corrosion on the internal electrical/mechanical parts.

The failure rate of the EPB is high. The units I have seen were made by Continental-Teves (a German supplier) and the quality is not great. There may be other suppliers though.  Until about two years ago my brother in law was service manager at a Toyota dealer and he tells me it was one of the most common major failures on the T27. In common with many other modern Toyota parts the pricing of replacement EPB modules is obscene - well over £1000.

I am a partner in a used car business and our two biggest headaches are electric parking brakes and 'unconventional' automatic transmissions of the MMT/DSG type.  EPBs on VAG cars tend to use calipers with a built-in motor and they are a nightmare, but fortunately we have a source of Chinese copy calipers for those repairs.

The first thing I would check on any T27 is EPB and correct operation of Valvematic (on petrol models).

It is still on the rear wheels, but instead of a fairly easy and reliable mechanical system, it runs through the ECU's and an electric motor and gearbox/pulley system. This seems to be the weak link, perhaps not as well situated and sealed as it needs to be, or maybe just too flimsy. The system seems to need some more development before it is as reliable as the mechanical system it replaces. Maybe the newer ones have the bugs sorted? Hopefully they have.

Is there any way of further protecting the EPB box from contamination/water ingress?

I only heard of very few VM failures on the petrol model, is this more common than we are made to believe?

I hadn't noticed mrfixer's reply when I posted mine. WD40 or similar might keep the water out, but it also has the potential to cause other problems which might not be noticed until too late. Such as making plastic parts and cable covers brittle and subject to cracking, as a possible example.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:35 PM, Konrad C said:

Also with the auto version you don't need to use the EPB as much, unlike the manual version. I bought my car knowing some of the issues with the EPB, and learnt some new things, all documented above. Apart from the few with actuator faults, most of the issues are other components like the slider pins, seized pistons and bad installation of the pads. Add the gear position sensor not being connected after a clutch replacement, and using the wrong diagnostic device to wipe the zero point calibrations. 
I would check all the things mentioned before dealing with the actuator itself.  

On 10/21/2019 at 12:35 PM, Konrad C said:

Also with the auto version you don't need to use the EPB as much, unlike the manual version. I bought my car knowing some of the issues with the EPB, and learnt some new things, all documented above. Apart from the few with actuator faults, most of the issues are other components like the slider pins, seized pistons and bad installation of the pads. Add the gear position sensor not being connected after a clutch replacement, and using the wrong diagnostic device to wipe the zero point calibrations. 
I would check all the things mentioned before dealing with the actuator itself.  

Have 2012 2litre Diesel Avensis. Epb does not operate in automatic mode. However it still operates in manual,I.e.,I have to use button. When Battery disconnected and reconnected,it operates for few miles but then stops working and all those lights come  back on again. Any views would be greatly appreciated.  Have car only 6 months and this is my fourth problem with it. Best built car in world? Don't think so! Still love this car (it's just like a grumpy wife!)

Thanks

Gerald

Hi Gerald. Have you got the car scanned with a good scanner that can read Toyota systems, like Techstream? Since your car is a diesel, there could be a fault elsewhere. A general fault that can happen to all manual models, is if the gear position sensor is not connected properly after a clutch or transmission work! Happened to me - 

I have also had the self inflicted zero point codes for the clutch and g-force sensors.

I used Techstream to fix that issue. 
See how you get on. 

Hi Konrad,

Many thanks for that advice. Will get car scanned. Hate thought of going to Toyota dealer or garage to sort this,as will cost fortune here in Ireland. Friend has scanner so hopefully he may sort it. Will try dipethane first though and drive in 3rd gear for few miles on motorway. Toyota Ireland are so mean...my Avensis is top of range but doesn't have Satnav,while same model in UK does. 

Regards,

Gerald

For EPB problems it is always wise to use dedicated Toyota scan software 'Techstream'. Using third-party scan tools may not work as expected or even cause further problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfixer said:

For EPB problems it is always wise to use dedicated Toyota scan software 'Techstream'. Using third-party scan tools may not work as expected or even cause further problems.

Don't I know it! Here is my post from the beginning of the year  - 

Worse still, I forgot about a post from a Jimmyfixit who did the same - 

There are scanners that can deal with some EPB, but make sure they do 'calibrate' not 'reset'!
Also the OBD paperclip fix can work, but always as in my case. Techstream is the best tool for Toyota/Lexus cars.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. I have problem with my Avensis T27 2010 EPB. At the beginning EPB warning light was on sometimes. But now it is on all the time. I took car for diagnostic. It shows ussual error of course actuator. I read your comments and it shows high prices. I dont wanna sell my car. I understood that have to look on caliper pin. But really...why so many Avensis has only one and the same fault.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:02 PM, Liga said:

Hi guys. I have problem with my Avensis T27 2010 EPB. At the beginning EPB warning light was on sometimes. But now it is on all the time. I took car for diagnostic. It shows ussual error of course actuator. I read your comments and it shows high prices. I dont wanna sell my car. I understood that have to look on caliper pin. But really...why so many Avensis has only one and the same fault.

It might be that the caliper is not moving properly, and probably on one wheel. A proper check on the pads and calipers might reveal the problem. If the rear pads were recently installed, were the pistons wound back and the cutouts aligned with the protrusion on the back of the inner pads! I learnt this the hard way, and everything has been fine since. Hopefully water has not got into the unit. 

Check the above before condemning the EPB unit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had an issue with the EPB appear on my 2010 Avensis, it's done 61,000 miles but has just had the "Parking Brake Inoperable" message appear. The parking brake works automatically when you turn the engine off so I can still drive it but when I took it back to the garage I bought it from under warranty they asked me to take it to Toyota. So far it has cost me £250 at Toyota just to try and diagnose the fault and looking at my warranty paperwork they won't cover handbrake components.

Does anyone have any idea how much a replacement actuator with fitting is costing the days? I've heard around £2,000 and if this is the case I'm kind of stuck as I definitely don't have that sort of money spare!  I would check the pads and calipers myself but the car is still at the garage 

49 minutes ago, Lloyd7185 said:

I took it back to the garage I bought it from under warranty

How long ago did you buy the car? If in the last six months you may be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 regardless of any warranty. See 'the first six months' section of 

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

43 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

How long ago did you buy the car? If in the last six months you may be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 regardless of any warranty. See 'the first six months' section of 

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Thanks for the info, I bought it about 4 months ago. I've been reading up on this and if it can't be repaired under warranty for whatever reason then I'll try that route instead. 

• 1 year later...

Check braking system coming up on my 12 Toyota avensis but the brakes seems to be working perfect but electric handbrake stop working automatically

On 4/24/2021 at 11:11 AM, Germaih said:

Check braking system coming up on my 12 Toyota avensis but the brakes seems to be working perfect but electric handbrake stop working automatically

Get diagnostic done. Have you had any transmission work done. I had similar after the clutch was replaced. The connection to the gear position sensor was securely connected nor anchored, in my case. Also using the wrong diagnostic tool after brake work, can delete the zero point calibration of the clutch and G-force sensor, when trying to reset the brakes. Don't unless you have the right diagnostics like Techstream. Otherwise leave well alone. Diagnostics again will confirm this with fault codes. Also check the callipers and pistons are not seized, plus have the pistons been wound back correctly so the cut outs are horizontal to the calliper. The brake pads have a nipple on the back, that sits in the cut out, not on the face of the piston. If not aligned properly, the piston will be forced to one side or the inner brake pad wear at an angle. 
I don't think there is anything wrong with the actual EPB unit, but diagnostic codes will tell.    

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all, new to this forum ...I need to find a replacement actuator for my 2009 avensis (new model) EPB... part no 4630005010 ... apparently the circuit board is broken. I'm doing the searching as a friend will install it for me.
What I'm wondering is: did that part remain the same for several years? I mean, would the same part from a 2011, 2012, even a 2015 dismantled car work in my 2009 model? Many thanks. 

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a 2011 Toyota avensis d4d brilliant car really please with it over all... but I went out the other night and went to release the handbrake and it came on dash saying park brake problem so the hand brake won't release. I got a friend to put it on the computer and it's saying the handbrake module has lost  Communication.. does anyone know where the module is located. Its all new to me any help well be appreciated 👌

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 5:41 PM, Joregan75 said:

Hi 

An update on the actuator, took the car down to Toyota garage to get the job done and yepee turns out it wasn't the actuator after all , a caliper pin had spit on the rear calipers , this stopped the handbrake from engaging fully on that side thus throwing up an actuator alarm . So the replaced the caliper pins on the rear and I get them to do the front caliper pins also as I assume they were all of the same age , total cost €300 , that's a massive saving of €1200 . 

So the lesson is even though the alarm says actuator it may not be that actually causing the error   .

😁🚗

dose these pins ware out and break do they as im thinking maybe a good idea buying a few pins just to have encase is this a common problem just wondering how is it possible for pins like that to snap i never came across that problem ever 

On 10/30/2019 at 7:52 AM, Konrad C said:

Don't I know it! Here is my post from the beginning of the year  - 

Worse still, I forgot about a post from a Jimmyfixit who did the same - 

There are scanners that can deal with some EPB, but make sure they do 'calibrate' not 'reset'!
Also the OBD paperclip fix can work, but always as in my case. Techstream is the best tool for Toyota/Lexus cars.

hi konrad . i have techstream in techstream is there a right way to calibrate zero point not reset.what is the right way to do it 

7 hours ago, 2009joe said:

hi konrad . i have techstream in techstream is there a right way to calibrate zero point not reset.what is the right way to do it 

Happy Xmas Joe. When I did the fix to error messages and warning lights, I was going through Techstream learning on the fly (winging it). There are so many menus. Basically I simply found a menu to remove cautions and warnings and that cleared the codes and reset the zero point calibration. There is no actual calibration done or needed! I think it was in the dash display menu, but I would need to run Techstream go through the menu system.
I have hardly used Techstream in over a year, plus the zero point issue happened practically 3 years ago. 
I just looked back and you asked the same question back in July 2019, but I didn't answer (many apologies). 

I have to say, that my Avensis has behaved itself, but a few things need looking at - knocking on steering when stationary (universal joint). Fuel economy just about the same on E10 - probably a mile or two less per gallon. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Happy Xmas Joe. When I did the fix to error messages and warning lights, I was going through Techstream learning on the fly (winging it). There are so many menus. Basically I simply found a menu to remove cautions and warnings and that cleared the codes and reset the zero point calibration. There is no actual calibration done or needed! I think it was in the dash display menu, but I would need to run Techstream go through the menu system.
I have hardly used Techstream in over a year, plus the zero point issue happened practically 3 years ago. 
I just looked back and you asked the same question back in July 2019, but I didn't answer (many apologies). 

I have to say, that my Avensis has behaved itself, but a few things need looking at - knocking on steering when stationary (universal joint). Fuel economy just about the same on E10 - probably a mile or two less per gallon. 

thanks so much i just keep all this info you tell me and write it down so if come across that problem then i can fix it .i found with my 2.0d4d 1adftv when filling it up and figuring how many miles a gallon it dose i found it dose 36.3mpg that sound right its just what it dose.yep i haven't put mine on techstream as u say there are so many menus i thought maybe you know the right steps as i was wondering was there a menu in techstream to calibrate zero point not delete it as you say i have not came across that problem yet. what do you think of the idea cleaning out the egr valve pipes and intake manifold. like on this video im thinking of doing mine .i have no problems with mine but thinking maybe a good idea cleaning it for future problems maybe. plus im not sure how ofton it needs cleaned would it do to 50k 

On 12/25/2021 at 10:46 PM, 2009joe said:

thanks so much i just keep all this info you tell me and write it down so if come across that problem then i can fix it .i found with my 2.0d4d 1adftv when filling it up and figuring how many miles a gallon it dose i found it dose 36.3mpg that sound right its just what it dose.yep i haven't put mine on techstream as u say there are so many menus i thought maybe you know the right steps as i was wondering was there a menu in techstream to calibrate zero point not delete it as you say i have not came across that problem yet. what do you think of the idea cleaning out the egr valve pipes and intake manifold. like on this video im thinking of doing mine .i have no problems with mine but thinking maybe a good idea cleaning it for future problems maybe. plus im not sure how ofton it needs cleaned would it do to 50k 

Hi Joe again. I am a petrol Valvematic owner, so no owner experience of the diesels apart from what I have learnt from this forum and other net sources. I can say that your fuel return is poor, since my petrol is about the same! Diesels, some direct injection petrol engines and engines with EGR seem to have more carbon build up. A good clean should improve things. I assume the performance is fine. 
Hopefully others more experienced will advise.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi I have a 2011 avensis estate. I had to replace the actuator due to paint and water falling on it via the boot.

I bought a second hand part with the same serial / model number.

The brakes now work fine but the warning light and check parking brake system will not come off.

The garage say there electric equipment may not be suitable any ideas how to remove so I can part ex the car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links