Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electronic parking brake problem

Joregan75

Hi All,

I know this is an older topic, but very relevant to problem I'm having with 2017 Avensis at the moment. First of all was sluggish taking off yesterday evening, knew it didn't feel right and had to apply bit of extra acceleration as it felt like car was going to stall (almost as if I was starting in third gear). Then when driving car was very jerky, particularly at lower speeds. Anyway stopped halfway in journey and when I restarted the beeping and check parking brake system message appeared and was very jerry while driving again. Will have to bring to Toyota garage where we get all servicing done tomorrow. However, got brake pads replaced about 3 months ago and then had a problem where abs light came on after and some pipe that cracked had to be replaced. Have never had problems with this garage and have been using them for years, but can't help but be suspicious that something has not been done right when replacing brake pads.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/2/2023 at 7:16 AM, John K 171 said:

Hi All,

I know this is an older topic, but very relevant to problem I'm having with 2017 Avensis at the moment. First of all was sluggish taking off yesterday evening, knew it didn't feel right and had to apply bit of extra acceleration as it felt like car was going to stall (almost as if I was starting in third gear). Then when driving car was very jerky, particularly at lower speeds. Anyway stopped halfway in journey and when I restarted the beeping and check parking brake system message appeared and was very jerry while driving again. Will have to bring to Toyota garage where we get all servicing done tomorrow. However, got brake pads replaced about 3 months ago and then had a problem where abs light came on after and some pipe that cracked had to be replaced. Have never had problems with this garage and have been using them for years, but can't help but be suspicious that something has not been done right when replacing brake pads.

How did the service go?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 Toyota eve sis estate I’m have a problem with breaking system actuator bringing a dashboard warning but all breakers working perfectly Toyota are quoting £1500.00 just for new actuator does anyone have any suggestions

thanks

steve

3 hours ago, Stephen Quigley said:

I have a 2016 Toyota eve sis estate I’m have a problem with breaking system actuator bringing a dashboard warning but all breakers working perfectly Toyota are quoting £1500.00 just for new actuator does anyone have any suggestions

thanks

steve

It seems that the electronic parking brake (EPB) warning is used as a generic warning that a fault has been detected. Occasionally the EPB is the cause, but often it is not. Has the Toyota dealer run diagnostics on the car and confirmed the fault is definitely with the EPB? If not, they need to do that before quoting you for replacing the EPB. Or ask an independent auto electrician to diagnose it for you (or diy if you like electronics and computers).

Hi, Does anyone know if a faulty EPB module is replaced with a used EPB module, is it possible to program  the used module car using the 'Toyota Techstream software'.

Toyota wont program  with a second hand module, so just wondering has anyone tried this?

Any independent auto electricians seem to use other types of software.

On 2/16/2023 at 2:34 PM, Stephen Quigley said:

thanks

steve

when my one came on my dash but all  was working good my epb it was my fault as i disconnected the plug going to my maf sensor what put on epb warning light if that much use to you. i hate those dam epb system cars 

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I have just had this same problem with my 2010 Avensis 2.0 d4d which atm fingers crossed  (6 days in), I have solved this problem ?.

My car is on 226002 and now is running brilliantly, my check parking brake message came on and my epb completely stopped working, I bought techstream and cleared all codes and tried everything to stop any repeat of the fault but no avail, I happened to be in the local petrol station and noticed they sold REDEX DPF FUEL ADDITIVE and decided to purchase it and added to the tank, not thinking to much about my purchase, but  just under 2 days after, all of a sudden, hay presto my codes have gone including my airbag light, I have bought and used another 2 bottles of it and redex fuel cleaner and my car has been so great to drive like it is now, faster throttle response, more MPG was average 28 to a better 35 roughly, so I'm definitely convinced my DPF & EGR we re clogged but now must be starting to declog since using redex. I will continue to add roughly another 2 or 3 bottles of dpf to my tank within the next fuel stop and Hope to see more improvements with the car. 

Hope this helps everyone.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I  too seem to have fallen into this problem after freeing up a sticking brake caliper and a weeping banjo bolt seal. But my display is saying check vsc system. I  have the abs icon and traction control icon lit up. Anybody have any ideas about this one. TIA20230827_183341.heic