Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PIP and Toyota Toolbox - not enough space on USB

johalareewi

Last year i used my 32GB USB stick to update the touch and go unit on my PIP.  This year I am using the same stick and when I click on the UPDATES button in the toolbox app, it says not enough space on USB device.  Any idea how much space is needed?

You only need a USB stick of 8Gb or more to update T&G, but the stick needs to be empty.

This is on the MyToyota website, the toolbox app is old now, you need the new My Toyota app or visit the MyToyota website where you can download the updates to your PC then unzip them to a USB memory stick (>8Gb).

Or try formatting your USB stick before use.

Although the Toyota site says download to USB you should download to PC then extract files to USB as you cannot use the downloaded file to update your car

USB stick was empty apart from the system info that the touch and go unit wrote to it.  Last time i went on the my toyota website it had forgotten about my car. It was pretty rubbish when it did have my car so i don't go there very often.

I always found the Toolbox app on the PC a bit touch and go (pun intended). The My Toyota website is a bit better, but not by much, and I had the same problem of it forgetting my car when they updated the site and had to re-enter it (I didn't bother entering the service details etc. again), touch wood, it's still on there now.

• Haha 1

My toyota website only seems to work for touch and go 2.  My PIP has the old touch and go plus which seems to require the toolbox.   Didn't have much time to play. Will have a more detailed look later.

Looks like I am stymied.  The My Toyota website says my Touch and Go unit code is not valid for the website.  The Toyota Toolbox likes the code but says there isn't enough space on the USB stick even though I used it before.  Do I give up or splash out on a 64GB or larger USB device?

I'm still using the same 8Gb USB stick on My Toyota that I used to use on Toobox, so rather than splash out on a new stick, you could try formatting your current stick (FAT32) and start again. If that doesn't work then I don't think a new stick would work either and it's probably a software thing. You could try re-installing the Toolbox app and see if that works.

It might be something to do with the way the USB stick is formatted, e.g. FAT32 may be required as kithmo said. There are several different filesystem formats available, and the car may only accept older types like FAT32 - but that introduces other limitations. I remember the last time I tried this app it was constant hassle trying to get it to work right, only to realise I wasn't entitled to free map updates any more anyway...

From the Toypta e-Store

The USB stick needs to be FAT 32 formatted, with a capacity of 8 GB or greater. The USB memory should be empty.

Stick is FAT32 formatted (many times!!) and is 32GB and is empty when presented to the Touch and Go unit in the PIP.  I think I will give up. ;)

Presumably you go through the whole "fingerprint" procedure? edit: reading back it looks like you do.

Take it to Mr. T & ask. I had a T&G unit replaced under warranty as it refused to update (it previously had done so OK & appeared to otherwise run fine).

14 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Stick is FAT32 formatted (many times!!) and is 32GB and is empty when presented to the Touch and Go unit in the PIP.  I think I will give up. ;)

Just a thought, I noticed in your sig that yours is a 2013 PIP, IIRC you should have received 3 years free updates, which would take you up to last year. Are you maybe trying to download a free update that has expired, even though it's still showing as available on toolbox ?

@Heidfirst - yes this one has the fingerprint process.  Plug empty USB stick into car. Get T&G unit to write system info to USB stick.  Put USB stick in Toyota Toolbox on PC.  Log into MyToyota. Etc.

@Kithmo - I have no idea what the update is.  Toolbox says there are updates and when I click on the UPDATES button to get them it says there is not enough space.