Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights

Mick F

3 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Are these bulbs 150% brighter plus the 70% brighter

Most aftermarket bulbs quote performance against standard (non-HIR2) halogen bulbs. The exception being Optiwhites which are compared to OE HIR2 bulbs.

Thanks.

So .......... how much increase is there from standard HIR2 to Optiwhites?  Are the VisionPro150 I've bought brighter than Optiwhites?

You said that standard HIR2 are already 70% brighter.  What is the increase for Optiwhites?  Sorry, can't remember what was said earlier in this thread!

Also, on the box of the VisionPro150, it says 3700K.  What is the K value of Optiwhites?

Mick.

From memory Optiwhites are supposedly 60% brighter than OE HIR2's. Don't know the K value.

Thanks!

This gets me back to one of my hobby-horses.  Percentages.

If you had a 10% pay rise, you'd be very happy.  If you had a 100% pay rise, your pay would be doubled.  150% and your pay would be doubled plus half again on top.  This means that £100 a week wage with 150% pay rise would give you £250 a week.

The box on my new bulbs says an increase of 150%.

It's meaningless marketing perhaps.  The proof of the pudding is fitting these bulbs and seeing what they're like.  I'll be back to this early next week after fitting and testing.  Whatever the result, they should be brighter than the originals and half the price of Optiwhites.

Mick.

Done an experiment.

Replaced the RH bulb with new 150% brighter, and took a couple of photos (attached).  Focus and exposure locked, with the flash off.  I stood in front of each headlight in turn and took the photos.

Yes, they are definitely brighter, and on a par with Optiwhites perhaps .............. but half the price.  I would expect that "150%" brighter is actually arithmetically wrong and they mean 50% brighter ie half as bright again, and NOT over twice as bright.

You be the judges,

Mick.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

What I should have done, was to do the same experiment with my remaining single Toyota Optiwhite vs The new eBay150.

I will yet do this, but I cannot - for the life of me - find the remaining single Optiwhite.  I wouldn't have chucked it out, and I can see the Toyota box that the pair came in in my mind's eye .............. but where it is, I don't know.

If I do find it, I will do the compassion experiment again.

Mick.

It's a sign of getting old Mick I'm afraid, it happens to me far too often for my liking! 😀

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

It's a sign of getting old Mick I'm afraid, it happens to me far too often for my liking! 😀

Note my post.

I wrote compassion and not comparison! 😀

Yes, getting old!

Mick.

The light is visibly better than the original and half the price of the optiwhites, so it's good. Maybe time will tell whether it degrades fast or hold up the brightness or have many hours of life. 

Yes, we will never know if these bulbs are only going to last half as long for half the price!

One, I've worked out what happened to the Optiwhite that I took out that was still working.  The pair went in, and one went kaput 2years or so later so I swapped the pair for the originals.  I chucked the other Optiwhite away!  I could see no point in keeping a single bulb when its mate had blown.  Who knows how long it would last?  What's the point of keeping a bulb as a spare when the other one had blown?

Two, I've been out driving this evening and to be honest, I couldn't tell you if these eBay bulbs are better/brighter than Optiwhites or not, but I must say they are very good indeed.  Seriously considering buying a second pair.  They knock spots of the standard originals.

Three, I've worked out about my issues with headlight alignment/up-down aim.  With just me or the two of us in, the dipped beam needs lowering to 1 rather than being at 0.  On full beam, the aim at 0 or 1 is way too high, so needs to go down to 2.  I blame the whole system for this issue having a re-aiming of the reflector and only one filament, rather than a dual filament and lens for dip/full in "normal" cars.

Mick.

Good to hear of the good result of these 150% bulbs. I haven't had experience of the optiwhites, by the sound of it, these probably just as bright. Another member recommend these bulbs so they may be able to comment on longevity.

I would have kept the spare optiwhite in case the need to buy another set or this bulb blows or even the original blows so can use it until replacement! 🙂

Glad u have managed to sort out the leveling issue. My car is set to 1.5 on the dial for normal driving, 0 for dual/motorways. 

Last weekend I was driving in the rural country roads with mist in the dark for about 6-8miles, i would be in trouble had if it were on the original bulbs.  

Hi. I have just bought a Yaris Hybrid 2016. As most others I have discovered that the High beam headlights are very poor. I have installed a pair of Osram HIR2 Cool Blue bulbs. The results are quite OK for the low beam, but high beam are still completely useless here in Norway. I have bought a led bar auxiliary light. Is there anyone who have done this job?
My biggest headache is where to find the (+) power supply for a some extra lights. I have located the batteries under the rear seats.

Are there anyone out there who have done this job? Any advice would be nice.

My main thought is to pull a new electrical wire (4 mm2) from the 12V Battery through the cabin and into the engine compartment. But where can I go trough the wall between the engine compartment and the cabin in a easy way?
Also wonder if anyone know the colour of the electrical wire that goes into the headlight that is controlling the high beam?

Been out this evening with the new bulbs from eBay, and they are very good indeed.  Very impressed.

I can't say if they're better than Optiwhites, but I reckon they are easily on a par with them .................. and half the price too!

I'll be ordering a second pair soon, so I have spares.  I wouldn't have even considered that with Optiwhites.

The originals are terrible of course, so they may as well go in the recycling bin.  If I was Mr Toyota, I would be embarrassed by the whole thing about these headlights and when we buy another Yaris, I will specify that they ditch the headlight bulbs and fit the eBay ones and provide spares too.  It'll cost them £40odd for the two pairs and they'll get a satisfied customer too.

Mick.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 5:20 PM, Mick F said:

The originals are terrible of course, so they may as well go in the recycling bin ................... 

The second pair of 150% brighter bulbs arrived from eBay this afternoon.

The originals are in the shed in the previous Elta 150% box.  Seems a pity to chuck them out, so if anyone wants them, they are freebies ........... I ask you to just cover the postage.

PM me if there is someone out there who wants them.

Mick.

That is good of u Mick.

I have the original in a box too, keeping them so when the time come to sell/trade in the car they go back in! 

On 11/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, Mick F said:

The second pair of 150% brighter bulbs arrived from eBay this afternoon.

The originals are in the shed in the previous Elta 150% box.  Seems a pity to chuck them out, so if anyone wants them, they are freebies ........... I ask you to just cover the postage.

PM me if there is someone out there who wants them.

Mick.

Hi Mick thank you for all the valuable information. 

I am thinking of changing the Headlight bulbs but I am confused for a reason, How long will the eBay bulbs last!!

I spoke to my local toyota dealership and I was offered for the HIR2 optiwhite pair for 60.38 with a 10% black friyay sale for 54.35....

and the pair from eBay costs 46.54. 

Any advice??

1 hour ago, Mo Ali said:

Hi Mick thank you for all the valuable information. 

Any advice??

Advice?  I'm no expert at all, but I do know that the original bulbs are terrible.  They are no doubt ok in a city environment, but out in the countryside on the open road without  streetlight for miles, the full beam is pitiful .................. and dare I say it, dangerous.

The Toyota Optiwhites are good, I am in no doubt.  The difference was marked, and out in the dark lanes, they were fine.  Not the best in the world, but fine.

Optiwhites will set you back £50 for the pair.  I paid £48.77 for mine from our local Toyota dealer in Nov 2017.  We'd had the car since that August, and by the time the dark nights arrived, I knew I had to do something about it.

The bulbs lasted two winters, so re-fitted the originals.  OK for the summer, but as the dark nights came back, I went back to this thread and found that you can eBay bulbs that sounded similar to the Optiwhites ...................... but for £23.99 ....................... half the price!!!!!!

Time will tell if they are good value, but I can tell you now that they are every bit as good as the Optiwhites.

The originals remain terrible, and if anyone wants them, they are still on offer for the price of a pint of beer in postage.  If no-one does, and I don't blame them in the slightest, they are going into the recycling.

Mick.

45 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Advice?  I'm no expert at all, but I do know that the original bulbs are terrible.  They are no doubt ok in a city environment, but out in the countryside on the open road without  streetlight for miles, the full beam is pitiful .................. and dare I say it, dangerous.

The Toyota Optiwhites are good, I am in no doubt.  The difference was marked, and out in the dark lanes, they were fine.  Not the best in the world, but fine.

Optiwhites will set you back £50 for the pair.  I paid £48.77 for mine from our local Toyota dealer in Nov 2017.  We'd had the car since that August, and by the time the dark nights arrived, I knew I had to do something about it.

The bulbs lasted two winters, so re-fitted the originals.  OK for the summer, but as the dark nights came back, I went back to this thread and found that you can eBay bulbs that sounded similar to the Optiwhites ...................... but for £23.99 ....................... half the price!!!!!!

Time will tell if they are good value, but I can tell you now that they are every bit as good as the Optiwhites.

The originals remain terrible, and if anyone wants them, they are still on offer for the price of a pint of beer in postage.  If no-one does, and I don't blame them in the slightest, they are going into the recycling.

Mick.

I will go ahead and order a pair of the light from ebay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELTA-HIR2-9012-PX22D-VISIONPRO-150-UPGRADE-CAR-HEADLIGHT-BULBS-3700K-12V-55W/184104731099?epid=8031872835&hash=item2add7f41db:g:D3EAAOSw~w5eCSed&utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks 

Thank you for your help everyone

You are not going to get white light from halogen, I think halogen only go upto 3700k. Only led and HiD can get white light from 5000k to 6000k. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having just driven my folks' 2017 Yaris Hybrid in the dark for the first time and found the headlamps rather less than stellar I came across this thread.

Having come to the conclusion that my folks will need some spare bulbs anyway (as there's no other car in the family fleet that uses HIR2 units) we decided to get some 150% (subject to maths!) brighter bulbs to try in the car, and found these units (Which seem very similar to the ELTA units) but at a slightly lower price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-HIR2-12v-Car-150-Brighter-Upgrade-Bulbs-Headlight-Headlamp-Performance-/184576595347?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I will say one thing in defence of the Yaris headlamps mind, they're the easiest I've ever seen for getting bulbs replaced!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, snowBALLs said:

You are not going to get white light from halogen, I think halogen only go upto 3700k. Only led and HiD can get white light from 5000k to 6000k. 

I was wondering if I could simply change from halogen to led bulbs. Is this possible or the led bulbs won't work?

LED bulbs will work - however since last year, installing LED bulbs in headlights designed for halogen will be an MOT fail.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

LED bulbs will work - however since last year, installing LED bulbs in headlights designed for halogen will be an MOT fail.

Thank you sir, you are a legend!

I'm more than happy to have a spare set for MOT as driving down country lanes is troublesome.

Please could you check if this fits my Yaris hybrid 2018? 

https://amzn.eu/d/0Znwe4w