Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gasket replacement needed

Keato

Hey all, bringing up an old topic of mine. It’s my left side rear light well gasket. 

Its leaking again :(

a while back I made a post about removing it and cleaning the gasket though it’s obviosuly failed again as the carpet is soaked after it rains (worse in winter when it freezes the carpet)

anyway, I searched and couldn’t find the part so was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. 

Ill attach  pics of the thing I need. I’m aware I can contact a Parts king (I think) on here for parts but a lack of brain power prevented me from finding him. 

Cheers

Jamie :)

Edit* it’s a 2011 Auris 1.6

55234D2F-6DDB-4288-83CD-72DF3C302593.jpeg

1BC52A1F-3A88-403E-8805-2BEFCB6FCC6F.jpeg

Also, it has to be the light cluster because it’s only the left side being soaked. 

It spreads over to the right and every now and then I remove the carpet and use a wet vac (carpet cleaner vacuum) to suck out all the water before hanging it up to dry fully before putting it back in the car.

unless anyone else has any other ideas as to where the water is coming in from?

27 minutes ago, Keato said:

unless anyone else has any other ideas as to where the water is coming in from?

On a previous Avensis, and a family member's Ford Focus - there are vents at both sides, behind the boot trim, at bumper height.  The seals can fail and water is thrown up by the wheels when driving on wet roads, and also runs down from the top when raining.  

One can either use sealant around the rear light cluster or buy a replacement seal from a Toyota dealer.

Why are you so sure it's the light cluster? After the initial fix, did the car remain dry?

You can buy gasket material, and cut out the shape you need, it comes in normal A4 sheets. I would personally go with that option., and just stuck it on top of the original one.

If that would not work, i'd go with some sealant as Frosty mentioned. 

Ah thanks for the replies :)

i just read read about the vent thing and had a look inside. That might actually be where it’s coming from. The light cluster has condensation inside. I wouldn’t go as far to say water but definitely fogged up inside. 

I’ll have a look on eBay for the A4 sheets of gasket material.

the initial fix of using a tooth brush to clean the gasket seemed to produce less water in the boot but now that I’ve read this vent thing maybe it is the left vent and the wheel kicking up water. 

16 minutes ago, Keato said:

i just read read about the vent thing and had a look inside. That might actually be where it’s coming from.

On both the cars I mentioned above the vent was physically loose and could be wiggled around a bit.  Pull the boot trim back and try wiggling yours.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links