Sign in to follow this  
Kingsway

Yaris Hybrid 12 volt auxiliary battery

Not only you can’t start it, you can’t push it since you can’t select neutral. If you are unable to get ready to show then the car requires a recovery truck with the ability to lift the car onto the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Kingsway said:

Nope - the car can do nothing without the 12v supply.  However, I wonder if the 12v battery might recover a little once you take away the load....  It doesn't have to supply a huge current, like a conventional car battery, so you might just get lucky?

OK, I get that.  Thanks.

Unless the 12v is there, the starting circuit wouldn't be there.  The start key would do nothing.  Obvious really.

I suppose if you had an external 12v supply, you could connect it to the car.  ie not charge the Battery first, but just enable the start circuit to boot up.  The traction Battery would then do the charging once started.

Mick.

Exactly so and as long as your HV Battery was at a nominal state of charge. It's also why there is now a plethora of high capacity (but compact sized) rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery packs available in the marketplace; some of which are even capable of turning over a conventional starter motor, never mind getting a hybrid going... Untidy jump leads are a thing of the past these days...

My NHW11 Prius suffered a flat aux Battery one winter a few years back, basically because I'd left it parked outside for a few weeks as I hadn't needed to use it.  The AA man turned up in the snow and plugged in a booster to the Battery in the boot and away it went.  Never had a problem with it afterwards.    

I wonder if you had a 12v Battery connected to an OBD lead, you could plug it in to allow the car to start.

Maybe instead, a lead that plugs into the cigar lighter, though I don't think that would work as the socket wouldn't be live.

One of these to maintain a trickle charge through the OBD2 socket. Mixed reviews but could be useful for keeping that 12v aux. Battery on hybrids up to scratch,  if left for long intervals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrpj said:

One of these to maintain a trickle charge through the OBD2 socket. Mixed reviews but could be useful for keeping that 12v aux. battery on hybrids up to scratch,  if left for long intervals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can thoroughly recommend these as I have one myself and it seems to work extremely well even in low daylight conditions...

LATER:  Four months on, my 12v Battery is definitely giving up the ghost. I've had intermittant problems with the warning lights for Brake, ABS and traction control staying on, or coming only shortly after start-up.  It is happening a lot more now, and the 'cure' seems to be to give the Battery a good over-night charge with an AGM charger.  (My Battery tester seems to show it has only 50% state of health when fully charged)

Has anyone actually had a new aux Battery from Toyota?  Is it true they only charge £100, fitted??  The cheapest I've seen it elsewhere is £169.00   I'm sort of tempted to just get a £50 conventional, flooded battery  size 54h  - with a 5 year warranty....

Someone suggested that the aux Battery should be covered by the car warranty - but surely such a Battery is a 'consumable'?? (It's nearly 4 years old)

A handy chart showing open-circuit  voltages and state of charge for AGM batteries...

agm-battery.png

1 hour ago, Kingsway said:

Someone suggested that the aux battery should be covered by the car warranty - but surely such a battery is a 'consumable'?? (It's nearly 4 years old)

Devon Aygo, a moderator on the club and who works for a Toyota dealer, said that the Battery, if failing, should be covered under the new car warranty.

Under Toyota's fixed price repair scheme, a new Battery for a petrol Yaris is £100 - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/repairs.json