Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HIR2 upgrade bulbs

FROSTYBALLS

On 9/15/2018 at 10:41 PM, stevecrvn said:

Scott

Thanks that is what i have been thinking that any update bulb will just make the current lit area brighter. This is not what I want to achieve so back to the drawing board .

I have had  the  the optibright bulbs fitted for about  twelve month sand they are quite a  brighter. I have now have a  Yaris Hybrid as well with the Std HIR 2 and I  can see how bad the Std HIR 2 lights are. Could this also be down to the highlight unit itself. They are projectors on both the Auris and Yaris so if I bite the bullet and buy the 2nd set of optiwhites will I see the same improvement ?

This isn't answering your question, but, when our HIR2 Optiwhites failed (after little over a year), they both went out on the same journey.  Interestingly, the Halfords superstore nearby had none in stock.

A few days ago, I had some Osram upgrade bulbs in another car (H7, but anyway...), they were fitted as a pair and they failed within a few seconds of each other.  If I hadn't been there to witness this then I would barely have believed that it could happen, but that car has a bulb-fail warning system that is completely dependable, so you know of a failure the moment it happens. 

If you are using upgraded bulbs then I would suggest carrying some spares.

Although some owners would argue that it is difficult to tell if HIR2 headlamps are actually on or not, unless you get out the car and stand directly facing them.  (For night driving with any confidence someone suggested taking a clairvoyant in the car with you, or only driving under clear skies with a full moon, although this isn't mentioned in the owner's handbook on the Auris).

Only joking, of course.

Also, even new standard bulbs will likely be brighter than old standard bulbs, as the light output drops with age and the technology has improved marginally since they were launched.  We have two Aurises with standard bulbs, but the one with the newest bulbs is noticeably whiter and brighter than the one running with the originals.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 7:05 AM, stevecrvn said:

I have had  the  the optibright Bulbs fitted for about  twelve month sand they are quite a  brighter. I have now have a  Yaris Hybrid as well with the Std HIR 2 and I  can see how bad the Std HIR 2 lights are. Could this also be down to the highlight unit itself. They are projectors on both the Auris and Yaris so if I bite the bullet and buy the 2nd set of optiwhites will I see the same improvement ?

I have now had the Optiwhites fitted to the Yaris and to be honest they are still poor compared to the optiwhites in our Auris. Has anyone changed the headlights in a Yaris hybrid for the ones with the H4 bulbs ( no projector) and if so was it a easy change or did it invove cutting the wiring

TIA Steve

• 1 month later...

I have given up with these as two sets have gone in just over a year. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to have my headlight bulbs replaced next week with the HIR2 90981-YZZDN upgrade in the hope that it will be improvement. As others have commented the existing bulbs are really not up to the task for night driving and verging on dangerous. It is the one big disappointment with my Toyota Auris. If it improves my lighting I will post an update. 

• 1 year later...

i have a 2012 Auris & it uses 9012 HIR2 bulbs. they don't  last very long, a few months.  i only occasionally drive at night. was driving at night last week & both bulbs were blown. research on internet suggests that the filaments are thin & shaking during normal driving damages the filaments in the bulbs. i'm fed up of them as undependable & will never buy a car again that uses that bulb type. i'm trying to find someway to change the lens that takes a different bulb but apparently, it's an expensive option.

Believe 9005 bulbs will fit if you cut one of the tabs on the bulb base. Haven't had occasion to try this myself.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Believe 9005 bulbs will fit if you cut one of the tabs on the bulb base. Haven't had occasion to try this myself.

thanks for the information but i think that i'd prefer to get a bulb with the correct base. 

2 minutes ago, tony auris said:

thanks for the information but i think that i'd prefer to get a bulb with the correct base. 

In which case, only the HIR2 will do.

Might be worth seeing if they make extra long life bulbs in that size/type; They usually won't be as bright but should last longer!

I had some Osram ones on my old Mk2 that claimed 3x life over OEM (Alas didn't have the car long enough to find out how true that was!)

If you're in Ireland, might also be worth checking what the law is on fitting LED replacement bulbs! Here they're technically illegal (not that that stops people...), but might be different over where you are...

38 minutes ago, Cyker said:

..... might also be worth checking what the law is on fitting LED replacement bulbs! Here they're technically illegal (not that that stops people...), but might be different over where you are...

From earlier this year, in the UK they should be an MOT fail -

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

Might be worth seeing if they make extra long life bulbs in that size/type; They usually won't be as bright but should last longer!

I had some Osram ones on my old Mk2 that claimed 3x life over OEM (Alas didn't have the car long enough to find out how true that was!)

If you're in Ireland, might also be worth checking what the law is on fitting LED replacement bulbs! Here they're technically illegal (not that that stops people...), but might be different over where you are...

i was thinking of checking out a LED replacement but with the fan on them, the bulbs might be a bit bigger. putting the rubber dust cover back on the lens unit might stop the airflow... having checked the internet, Bosch seems to be a very good quality bulb but expensive but i might try them. if i got 12 months out of them, i'd be happy.  having spoken to multiple car owners, nobody has changed the main bulb as often as me. ....thanks for taking the time to reply.

4 hours ago, tony auris said:

i was thinking of checking out a LED replacement

See the topic I linked to in my last post. 

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

See the topic I linked to in my last post. 

i will indeed read it. thank you very much for the information & for taking the time to reply.

UK MOT rules don't apply in Ireland :wink:

Apparently their equivalent is the NCT - I know nothing about it, hence recommend checking the rules for that. LED conversion might be legal there for all I know!

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

UK MOT rules don't apply in Ireland :wink:

Apparently their equivalent is the NCT - I know nothing about it, hence recommend checking the rules for that. LED conversion might be legal there for all I know!

you are correct about the NCT equivalent. I must read their rules on LED bulbs. .. thanks again for the reply..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, would like to convert the original halogen headights of my 2021 yaris to LEDs. I have been recommended the Samsung hir2 bulbs with integrated cooling. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks. 

Not judging but I do think this is technically not legal however if the led bulbs are good enough with a good beam spread it is unlikely to be noticed.  It all depends wether the light assembly is the same or similar in a halogen Yaris or an led yaris.l as that will help.

Alternatively you could try osrams or Philips halogens.  They don't look like LEDs of course but they do give much better light.

For fitting you don't want to be cutting into the bulb cover as you can get condensation on the lens.

• 4 months later...

Just like to say try the Lucas ultra hir2 150% better whiter light sharp beam and cheaper £24 better than standard

5 years since the topic was first posted so bound to be better upgrades come out.

Presume you mean the Philips Ultra150 HIR2 bulbs - part of the Elta range.

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2019 at 9:07 PM, Gerg said:

The HIR2 Optibrite bulbs were fitted on 30.12.17.  So after one year and one month, and about 15,000 miles use, they have both died.  The original box says on it: "up to 500 hours lifetime".  I  don't think we got particularly close to that figure.

I think you did. The original eco-philips HIR2 are stated at 2000 hours and 100,000 KM. Do the conversation of KM into Miles and then divide by four (2000/500 hours) and you are near bang on. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:22 PM, Heidfirst said:

Bulb life tends to go down as output goes up & the standard HIR2 is already iirc 70% brighter than a "conventional" halogen. & of course as it is used for both dip & high beam & is always at full power whilst your lights are on with no break ...

I think the original factory Philips bulb lasts a lot longer but I did not get anywhere near 100,000 KM. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:20 PM, Heidfirst said:

if you buy your bulbs from a Toyota dealer they should fit for free afaik (mine did).

Don't think mine will do this, even though I may end up buying two bulbs off them. 

On 9/15/2018 at 7:21 AM, stevecrvn said:

I have read about Toyota Optiwhite bulbs:  has any one else had these bulbs fitted  to a 2015 Auris ( facelift ) I find the standard bulbs on my  active are terrible. Light is nice and bright but cut off and distance on dip is terrible. (The in car height adjustment is set to 0 ) I am happy to pay the £48 for the bulbs but only if they are a good improvement . Its got to the stage when we take my wife's car if driving far on unlit roads ( Hyundai i20 ) previously had a 2010 Auris and a 2005 Yaris both of which the highlights were great so feel this is a major step backwards

I have 2014 Auris, I agree with Steve about the standard headlights, absolute rubbish old pants. I will definitely want these Optiwhite bulbs in my Auris.