Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HIR2 upgrade bulbs

FROSTYBALLS

Toyota are now able to supply upgrade bulbs in HIR2 fitment - Toyota Optiwhite bulbs: see 

Part number T90981-YZZDN. UK cost approx £48.77 including VAT for a pair. Available to order from Parts King (send pm and include your model details - reg.no as a minimum) or from your Toyota dealer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When they say "60%" brighter - compared to what? I couldn't find how many lumens they produce.

Presumably the standard HIR2 bulb. The standard HIR2 bulb is already supposed to be approx 70% brighter than standard halogen, so comparing the Optiwhite HIR2 to standard halogen would be a nonsense.

Extract from a post from CPN in the following topic after he fitted the Optiwhite HIR2's yesterday - 

"BTW, the new bulbs are excellent! What a massive improvement in both the headlights (dip and main) and the front fogs which are now actually useful (which they were not before IMO...)."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seem to have missed the Frostyballs verdict on the new Optiwhite bulbs.  Or was it on a different bulb thread?

Negative to both. Only collected mine yesterday due to other commitments. 10% discount on mine due to having a service plan, bringing the price down to £43.89.

Really easy access on the Aygo - literally a ten minute job. The standard HIR2's taken out were branded Philips.

On a very quick run last night, the new bulbs are at least as good as the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds +110% in our i20 (H7 dipped beam and HB3 steering headlights). Will be in a more rural setting the weekend, so will then be more aware of the improvement.

• Like 1

Travelled to and from Warkton this evening. Journey included M6, A14, A and B roads - some with street lighting, some without. The upgrade bulbs are far better than the standard HIR2 bulbs - greater range and better illumination of the nearside.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is it easy is it to change the bulbs yourself on a 2013 Auris or is it best let the garage do it, Thanks in advance.

if you buy your bulbs from a Toyota dealer they should fit for free afaik (mine did).

• 3 weeks later...

If they are really as bright as they claim won't that cause issues with blinding? I already find modern cars to blind me more than any older car with HID's fitted

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : sales@tmsmotorsport.co.uk

whatsapp-25px.png
WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – AP Racing – BUY ONLINE

-   We ship worldwide to your door  -

-  Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza  - Honda S2000 -

The HIR2 Optiwhites aren't as bright as third party HID kits, so the likelihood of blinding other drivers is less.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, Moff. said:

If they are really as bright as they claim won't that cause issues with blinding? I already find modern cars to blind me more than any older car with HID's fitted

Only if the headlights aren't properly aimed.

• 4 months later...

I have read about Toyota Optiwhite bulbs:  has any one else had these bulbs fitted  to a 2015 Auris ( facelift ) I find the standard bulbs on my  active are terrible. Light is nice and bright but cut off and distance on dip is terrible. (The in car height adjustment is set to 0 ) I am happy to pay the £48 for the bulbs but only if they are a good improvement . Its got to the stage when we take my wife's car if driving far on unlit roads ( Hyundai i20 ) previously had a 2010 Auris and a 2005 Yaris both of which the highlights were great so feel this is a major step backwards

Edited by stevecrvn
wenglish
  • Like 1

Hi, I don't have a facelift Auris, but after examining a facelifted headlamp's internals I can see little reason for any improvement not to be equal in both those headlamp designs. This link shows the shutter design that is a feature of the HIR2 fitment, if that's of any use.

I have fitted these bulbs. Mine were made by Philips, but at the time I bought them only generally available in the US, apart from Toyota dealers, obviously.

Very, very like these ones, I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9012CVB2-CrystalVision-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B01I3OTXHA

The pale blue filter is presumably to make them seem whiter, but must actually reduce the light output, I did think how I might remove the blue laquer, which underlines that I still think the headlamps are poor. Out of curiosity I clamped a light meter (actually an an Android app/smartphone) placed in the centre of the beam as it illuminated our garage doors, and then very carefully changed the bulb from standard to these.  The lux reading actually went down slightly. 

Although in use, surprisingly given the above, I think I can see some improvement in intensity. The beam cut-off is still the same as before, so in that respect maybe not much improvement for you.

You are probably aware this same  design and bulb is used on Vauxhall Ampera headlamps (amongst others), where it is considered to be pretty dreadful. The halogen headlamps on our 17 year old Corolla eclipse these new ones completely. Form over function?

Your Toyota dealer may have some 'wiggle room' on the price, I got 10% off just by asking politely for their 'best price'.

HTH

Toyota sell four types of replacement bulbs - Optifit (standard replacements), Optibright (50% brighter non HIR2), Optiblue (30% brighter with a white/blue tint), and Optiwhite (60% brighter HIR2 bulbs). 

Would suggest that the Philips bulbs linked to from Amazon are probably equivalent to the Optiblue. 

On the pre-facelift Auris some owners have had the headlights replaced due to poor performance so comparison with the post facelift, which has a different headlight, may not be as relevant.

Projector headlights and HIR2 bulbs are also used on other Toyota models (eg current Aygo and Yaris, etc) and others have found the Optiwhites to be an improvement. 

As far as I'm aware the Optiwhites are the brightest HIR2 upgrade currently available in halogen type bulbs. 

Here is a picture of our Toyota supplied Optiwhite bulb. The factory-fit bulb is the last picture.

bulbs from Philips are available from the US with exactly the same markings on their base.  

If I remember correctly, CVU, as printed on the bulb base, stands for Philips 'Crystal Vision Ultra', which is an upgrade bulb model they sell on the aftermarket.

P1150285.JPG

P1150288.JPG

P1150291.JPG

P1150296.JPG

• Like 1

The Amazon description doesn't mention any percentage increase in brightness, which you would expect them to - just the bright white xenon look. The markings on the US market bulbs are not quite the same as the European market bulbs, which one can see from the Amazon images - https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9012CVB2-CrystalVision-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B01I3OTXHA

6 hours ago, Gerg said:

you are probably aware this same  design and bulb is used on Vauxhall Ampera headlamps (amongst others), where it is considered to be pretty dreadful. The halogen headlamps on our 17 year old Corolla eclipse these new ones completely. Form over function?

the cutoff etc. are largely determined by the light unit design. Modern projector etc.light units are designed to have far more defined patterns than old reflectors to minimise dazzling oncoming traffic etc. - thus, as you increase the amount of light emitted by the bulb you generally end up with more light within the pattern, & because of that also a little extra range, but don't expect the beam pattern to change.

7 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

the cutoff etc. are largely determined by the light unit design. Modern projector etc.light units are designed to have far more defined patterns than old reflectors to minimise dazzling oncoming traffic etc. - thus, as you increase the amount of light emitted by the bulb you generally end up with more light within the pattern, & because of that also a little extra range, but don't expect the beam pattern to change.

Scott

Thanks that is what i have been thinking that any update bulb will just make the current lit area brighter. This is not what I want to achieve so back to the drawing board .

• 4 months later...

The HIR2 Optibrite bulbs were fitted on 30.12.17.  So after one year and one month, and about 15,000 miles use, they have both died.  The original box says on it: "up to 500 hours lifetime".  I  don't think we got particularly close to that figure.

Yes I have had those optiwhite bulbs for a couple of months now, not expecting to last much longer than a year, I guess the brighter the bulb the shorter the life. By the way if one goes is it legal to have one optiwhite and one normal hir 2 bulb?

The Optiwhites - made by Philips - seem to have a similar life to other Philips upgrade bulbs. For example, the X-treme Vision +130% bulbs have lives between 350hrs and 500hrs, depending on fitment.

• 1 month later...

I've been running the Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs in my '13 plate Auris.  I generally get around 10 months to a pair of bulbs, 18k per year driving.  

I can't help but think it is either something to do with the HIR2 bulb design or down to the car but every car I've ever owned I've run Osram Cool Blue bulbs and once fitted they've lasted the length of car ownership.

Bulb life tends to go down as output goes up & the standard HIR2 is already iirc 70% brighter than a "conventional" halogen. & of course as it is used for both dip & high beam & is always at full power whilst your lights are on with no break ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just realised tonight one of mine has blown  - lasted less than 5 months. Will email Mr T as don’t think that is long enough for them to last. I get they last less than normal bulbs but even so....

• 3 weeks later...

Update - replaced under warranty

• Like 1