Sign in to follow this  
FROSTYBALLS

HIR2 upgrade bulbs

On 9/15/2018 at 10:41 PM, stevecrvn said:

Scott

Thanks that is what i have been thinking that any update bulb will just make the current lit area brighter. This is not what I want to achieve so back to the drawing board .

I have had  the  the optibright bulbs fitted for about  twelve month sand they are quite a  brighter. I have now have a  Yaris Hybrid as well with the Std HIR 2 and I  can see how bad the Std HIR 2 lights are. Could this also be down to the highlight unit itself. They are projectors on both the Auris and Yaris so if I bite the bullet and buy the 2nd set of optiwhites will I see the same improvement ?

This isn't answering your question, but, when our HIR2 Optiwhites failed (after little over a year), they both went out on the same journey.  Interestingly, the Halfords superstore nearby had none in stock.

A few days ago, I had some Osram upgrade bulbs in another car (H7, but anyway...), they were fitted as a pair and they failed within a few seconds of each other.  If I hadn't been there to witness this then I would barely have believed that it could happen, but that car has a bulb-fail warning system that is completely dependable, so you know of a failure the moment it happens. 

If you are using upgraded bulbs then I would suggest carrying some spares.

Although some owners would argue that it is difficult to tell if HIR2 headlamps are actually on or not, unless you get out the car and stand directly facing them.  (For night driving with any confidence someone suggested taking a clairvoyant in the car with you, or only driving under clear skies with a full moon, although this isn't mentioned in the owner's handbook on the Auris).

Only joking, of course.

Also, even new standard bulbs will likely be brighter than old standard bulbs, as the light output drops with age and the technology has improved marginally since they were launched.  We have two Aurises with standard bulbs, but the one with the newest bulbs is noticeably whiter and brighter than the one running with the originals.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:05 AM, stevecrvn said:

I have had  the  the optibright Bulbs fitted for about  twelve month sand they are quite a  brighter. I have now have a  Yaris Hybrid as well with the Std HIR 2 and I  can see how bad the Std HIR 2 lights are. Could this also be down to the highlight unit itself. They are projectors on both the Auris and Yaris so if I bite the bullet and buy the 2nd set of optiwhites will I see the same improvement ?

I have now had the Optiwhites fitted to the Yaris and to be honest they are still poor compared to the optiwhites in our Auris. Has anyone changed the headlights in a Yaris hybrid for the ones with the H4 bulbs ( no projector) and if so was it a easy change or did it invove cutting the wiring

TIA Steve

I have given up with these as two sets have gone in just over a year. 

I am going to have my headlight bulbs replaced next week with the HIR2 90981-YZZDN upgrade in the hope that it will be improvement. As others have commented the existing bulbs are really not up to the task for night driving and verging on dangerous. It is the one big disappointment with my Toyota Auris. If it improves my lighting I will post an update.