Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HIR2 upgrade bulbs

FROSTYBALLS

See 

Yes, a big thank to our member Nielshm for finding this out. However LED upgrades are becoming more popular and a lot cheaper. (I am aware it is a dark area whether it is legal or not) As long as they give the correct beam spread 99% of the time it is fine.

1 hour ago, chrismorrow said:

However LED upgrades are becoming more popular and a lot cheaper. (I am aware it is a dark area whether it is legal or not) As long as they give the correct beam spread 99% of the time it is fine.

Which is an opinion, rather than fact.

7 hours ago, chrismorrow said:

. (I am aware it is a dark area whether it is legal or not) 

Not really, unless they have been certificated/homologated they aren't legal for road use. At the moment that means pretty much every 3rd party LED bulb option is illegal for road use.

I have seen quite a few that are certified. (whether fake or not i do not know) However many people don't care. They want better light they do exactly that, not many people care about the standards and all that, as long as it looks okay and doesn't blind people then thats the option of a lot of people hence why LED has caught on so much. So many people are switching to them. I must admit I hate it when cars that have a reflector type housing for their dipped beam use HID kits they just dazzle everyone. 

• 4 months later...

I got these installed on my 2016 auris hybrid at its last service. 

After initially trying to install 'opti-wipe' wiper blades :rolleyes: the dealer got these in especially and they are a massive improvement on the standard bulbs well worth the cost.

• 4 weeks later...

I have got auris hybrid 2014. Can someone tell me what sort of bulb are used in these cars? 

I am thinking to upgrade to LED bulbs for better lighting and save battery 

HIR2 bulbs.

Unless LED bulbs are E-marked they're not road legal in the UK.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

HIR2 bulbs.

Unless LED bulbs are E-marked they're not road legal in the UK.

I have just asked from a qualified mechanic, he said, there is not such law exist in uk. He would pass mot to my cat with led lights.. 

Can you please stop scaring guys here. 

Your mechanic is hardly a qualified source. If they are not E-marked then they aren't legal within the EU. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, difficult said:

I have just asked from a qualified mechanic, he said, there is not such law exist in uk. He would pass mot to my cat with led lights.. 

The MOT is not a law it is an examination/test. As of 20th May 2018 the revised MOT will class incompatible light source/light unit  (e.g. an LED in a unit certified/designed for halogen) as a "major" & hence a Fail.

Scott is right; in addition, if you look at the upper side of headlight unit, there is written HAL, so this headlight is designed for halogen bulbs, other light source is not acceptable.

hal hl.jpg

That's simply says, what bulbs has been used, test of phrase is purely based on your personal assumption. 

17 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

The MOT is not a law it is an examination/test. As of 20th May 2018 the revised MOT will class incompatible light source/light unit  (e.g. an LED in a unit certified/designed for halogen) as a "major" & hence a Fail.

At the end of the day the topic is about the upgrade bulbs that Toyota offer and these are fully road legal.

The discussion on aftermarket LED bulbs, which aren't road legal in the UK,  is a divergence from the topic subject.

Topic locked.