Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HIR2 upgrade bulbs

FROSTYBALLS

• 1 month later...

just a question guys you from UK are you having problems with police if you will install LED bulbs lets say a led kit??? or not at all I noticed not all countries have problems with the upgrade on lights from halogen to xenon or LED

10 minutes ago, Kamikazi said:

just a question guys you from UK are you having problems with police if you will install LED bulbs lets say a led kit??? or not at all I noticed not all countries have problems with the upgrade on lights from halogen to Xenon or LED

The vast majority of third party manufactured LED bulbs, incl kits, aren't road legal in the UK.

Upgrade halogen bulbs or xenon effect bulbs are OK provided the wattage is around 55/60 watts - for example 100 watt bulbs aren't road legal.

18 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Upgrade halogen bulbs or xenon effect bulbs are OK provided the wattage is around 55/60 watts - for example 100 watt bulbs aren't road legal.

afaik there is actually no wattage requirement (except for pre'86 where it is a minimum) at least under The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, schedule 5

8.  Wattage–

(a) A motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination, first used on or after 1st April 1986:

No requirement

(b) A motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, first used before 1st April 1986:

30 watts minimum

They do need to be E-marked though & I suspect few, if any, 100W are ...

Also, the supply wiring, holder etc. may not have been designed for the current draw/heat etc.  

I believe that any car fitted with xenon or LED headlights is REQUIRED to have a cleaning and levelling system.

That would be pretty much impossible to do with a retrofit.

afaik HIDs require wash & auto-levelling. LEDs usually only require auto-levelling but if over 2,000 lumens a cleaning system is also required.

• 3 months later...
On 30/12/2017 at 6:28 AM, martswain said:

I believe that any car fitted with Xenon or LED headlights is REQUIRED to have a cleaning and levelling system.

That would be pretty much impossible to do with a retrofit.

On 30/12/2017 at 1:56 PM, Heidfirst said:

afaik HIDs require wash & auto-levelling. LEDs usually only require auto-levelling but if over 2,000 lumens a cleaning system is also required.

MOT regs ONLY state : "where self levelling system and washers are fitted they must work" due some cars being type approved without headlight washers / levellers - only applies to mainland UK  - NI never altered their wording, giving rise to said type approved cars being given bits of washer pipe stuck through the grille to pass the MOT there..

HIDs should only be fitted to projector headlamps though, reflectors cause horrific glare and backscatter, no matter what the "big bore brigade" think, looks like they are driving permanently on high beams.....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

MOT regs ONLY state : "where self levelling system and washers are fitted they must work" due some cars being type approved without headlight washers / levellers - only applies to mainland UK  - NI never altered their wording, giving rise to said type approved cars being given bits of washer pipe stuck through the grille to pass the MOT there..

MOTs don't mean that something is road legal though just that it has had an annual inspection of certain items & is deemed roadworthy at that time. Indeed I am sure that many of us know of people who will do/replace stuff to get it through an MOT & then reverse it once they have the certificate.

UN ECE standards (which the UK complies with) do mandate for new cars.

Under the incoming changes in May to the MOT HID bulbs fitted to halogen lamp units will be a major so a fail.

3 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

MOTs don't mean that something is road legal though just that it has had an annual inspection of certain items & is deemed roadworthy at that time. Indeed I am sure that many of us know of people who will do/replace stuff to get it through an MOT & then reverse it once they have the certificate.

UN ECE standards (which the UK complies with) do mandate for new cars.

Under the incoming changes in May to the MOT HID bulbs fitted to halogen lamp units will be a major so a fail.

Pages 58 and 59

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/699702/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

As per what I said reflector headlights are a no no, but projectors (which are designed to be fitted with xenon/hid lamps are still ok) Previously they would fail on the beam image though.

"Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

You can get projector light units designed for use with halogen - to be compatible with HID the light unit needs to be so marked.

You can identify HID headlamps from:

• ‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp
taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
a bluish tinge to the light

As usual their wording is clear as mud.

HIDs have igniter modules behind the lights.

Also all car headlight washer testing only apply from 2009 onwards.

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

You can get projector light units designed for use with halogen

We've had several cars with projector headlights - all used with halogen bulbs. In recent years, our last three Toyotas (two Auris and the Aygo) and our i20, had these

• 2 months later...

I had the Yaris 2002 and fitted hid to it, it was h4 bi-xenon. The headlight unit was reflectors but had a cover in front of the bulb so the light was projected fine and didn't blind others. Was naughty many years ago and didn't declare to insurance. 

I am getting a 2015/16 hybrid soon and they have projectors and will self install hid 55w 5000k. Will be declaring to insurance. 

1 hour ago, 007matt said:

I am getting a 2015/16 hybrid soon and they have projectors and will self install hid 55w 5000k. Will be declaring to insurance. 

I hope not - standard HIDs are 35W, I hate to think how bright 55W would be ... 😲

It may well fail it's MOT under the new rules if you have it tested with them fitted depending if the existing light unit is marked for use with HID or not.

I had both 35 & 55w hid. 35 is better than halogen but isn't all that, 55w should be the norm. I'm not worry about MOT, will take out if it fail. 

• 1 month later...

i must say the lights on the 2016 yairs are really amazing, better at illuminating the road than other cars i have had in the past, but then this is the first car i have had with the projector headlights

15 hours ago, monkeydave said:

i must say the lights on the 2016 yairs are really amazing, better at illuminating the road than other cars i have had in the past, but then this is the first car i have had with the projector headlights

Could have upgraded bulbs in your car.  Mine previously had the standard hir2 and it's quite rubbish for me. Now I have 55w hid - output probably around 43w, a lot better.  

Projectors are not as good as outputting lights as reflectors, a lot of lights are lost inside the housing. 

16 minutes ago, 007matt said:

Could have upgraded bulbs in your car. 

Which, as has been said previously, the upgrade HID/LED bulbs aren't road legal in the UK.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which, as has been said previously, the upgrade HID/LED bulbs aren't road legal in the UK.

Perhaps u are not reading my message correctly. I said his car could already have upgraded bulbs i.e the optiwhite. 

1 minute ago, 007matt said:

Perhaps u are not reading my message correctly. I said his car could already have upgraded bulbs i.e the optiwhite. 

Not fitted as standard

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not fitted as standard

Perhaps the previous owner fitted it in? That was what I meant. 

As far as I'm aware, the member bought the Yaris new.

3 hours ago, 007matt said:

Projectors are not as good as outputting lights as reflectors, a lot of lights are lost inside the housing. 

the whole point of projectors is to better focus the light & limit the amount of overspill so as not to annoy/blind oncoming drivers ...

That I already know, having 1st had projectors over ten years ago. Thank u though.