Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HIR2 upgrade bulbs

FROSTYBALLS

That is really down to you to decide.

They're road legal, unlike third party LED bulbs

Possibly better value than Osram Cool Blue Intense which offer 20% more light as opposed to the Optiwhite's 60%, and are cheaper - the cheapest Osrams I've seen are £24.99 each.

• Like 1

This seems too good to be true - 60% more light!

Are they completely compatible with the original bulbs?

Can I ask my Toyota dealer to fit them for me?

Has anyone tried them in their IQ yet?

They're HIR2 bulbs - same fitment. Fitted my 2016 Aygo without any issue.

If I had a spare £50 I'd buy a set and try them myself but I've recently fitted new HIR-2 bulbs anyway so not changing them any time soon. 

What we need is a picture of the headlight pattern with one new bulb in the car and one old one. Seeing the difference at the same time in the same car would be very useful.

Craig.

• Like 1

I watched the video

and was very impressed.

I went to my dealer and asked about them. They said they were quite legal. I ordered a couple (between £48 and £50 including fitting) and I am going to get them fitted when the car is in for its annual service and MOT on the 21st of this month. I will try and post some before and after pictures.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just phoned local dealer near work and they have 1 pack in stock. Picking them up on my way home tonight. I will report back.

Thank you. Be good to hear some feedback on them.

If you can, fit one bulb only leaving the standard one in the other side and take a photo of them so we can see the difference in light / colour. 

Craig.

2 hours ago, craggle said:

If you can, fit one bulb only leaving the standard one in the other side and take a photo of them so we can see the difference in light / colour. 

the individual ns & os fittings should have different cutoffs etc. so really only brightness & colour can be compared.

It's the colour I'm interested in really.

I tried those blue bulbs once in my iQ, drove it once in the dark and took them straight out again. Absolutely horrible, cold light and it made everything appear the same colour to me. Green grass and the road surface was the same colour under those bulbs. Stored them as spares in the boot but won't be driving with them again.

I must be the only iQ driver actually that finds the HIR2 bulbs pretty good but then I have driven a series 2 Land Rover with sealed beam headlights and a dynamo charging system! 

Craig.

The Optiwhites should be whiter than the standard bulb hence the name but not as cold as the Optiblue.

I find the existing HIR2s in my Avensis to be acceptable albeit they aren't as good as the Bi-Xenons on my last one.

The range of Toyota bulbs are:

Optifit - standard replacement bulbs; Optibright 50% brighter bulbs; Optiblue 30% brighter bulbs with a blue tint: Optiwhite 60% brighter white xenon effect bulbs.

Whilst the standard HIR2 bulbs in the Aygo were pretty good, the Optiwhite HIR2  bulbs are both brighter and whiter, with an increased range compared to the standard HIR2's.

• Like 1

I have been driving with them about a week now and can definitely say they are an improvement. It is not a huge improvement though so do not expect too much. My way of thinking is that any improvement is worthwhile and the old bulbs were seven years old and so due to go anyway. I did take before and after pictures with my Samsung A3 shining the headlights into an unlit wood next to the office car park but the results are not great. I show then anyway. The new bulbs are the left picture.

20171121_192714_1511948031044.jpg

20171116_192641_1511948030823.jpg

1 minute ago, sparrow2 said:

I have been driving with them about a week now and can definitely say they are an improvement. It is not a huge improvement though so do not expect too much. My way of thinking is that any improvement is worthwhile and the old bulbs were seven years old and so due to go anyway. I did take before and after pictures with my Samsung A3 shining the headlights into an unlit wood next to the office car park but the results are not great. I show then anyway. The new bulbs are the left picture.

20171121_192714_1511948031044.jpg

20171116_192641_1511948030823.jpg

The new bulbs are the top picture (started out as left).

To tell the truth I wasn't that impressed at first, but having now driven on the unlit roads they are better, even more so in main beam, the light does seem to project further down the road.

If you only do town driving then they're probably not worth it, but if you drive on unlit roads, then it would be worth the upgrade.

I could have chosen a better (straighter) road for the pictures below, the curve at the end stops you seeing the extra reach of the Optiwhites.

First picture is standard, second Optiwhite (made by Phillips by the way).

WP_20171128_20_12_43_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20171128_20_22_33_Pro_LI.jpg

• Like 2

The standard HIR2 bulbs I had in the Aygo were Philips as well.

6 hours ago, Soeley said:

To tell the truth I wasn't that impressed at first, but having now driven on the unlit roads they are better, even more so in main beam, the light does seem to project further down the road.

If you only do town driving then they're probably not worth it, but if you drive on unlit roads, then it would be worth the upgrade.

I could have chosen a better (straighter) road for the pictures below, the curve at the end stops you seeing the extra reach of the Optiwhites.

First picture is standard, second Optiwhite (made by Phillips by the way).

WP_20171128_20_12_43_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20171128_20_22_33_Pro_LI.jpg

These look much better than my pictures! It is the sort of thing I wanted to show but I normally only drive on lit roads. I look forward to the rare occasion I drive on an unlit road now to try the new bulbs out! The typical occasion for me is when my wife and I attend a concert in London at the weekend in the evening. Now there is a perfectly good motorway which takes us back to our satellite town afterwards but being the weekend and late evening it very often seems to be closed for maintenance! Then we have to come on some really spooky unlit country roads to get back. Hopefully with the new bulbs next time will not be so bad!

Read this thread with interest.

What are the key criteria to ensure headlamp bulbs are compatible with my 2010 IQ?

• Like 1

Two key criteria - 1. the bulb fitment is as identified in your owners manual, and 2. the wattage is as identified in your owners manual.

On 09/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Two key criteria - 1. the bulb fitment is as identified in your owners manual, and 2. the wattage is as identified in your owners manual.

See, that sounds really easy but how come only one or two show as compatible with my IQ on Amazon?

I ended up purchasing a set of Osram “Cool blue boost” only to discover they aren’t road legal so now have to return them and buy something else.

One of the few that shows as compatible are the Osram “Night breakers” but they have poor lifetime ratings.

9 minutes ago, KurlyKeef said:

See, that sounds really easy but how come only one or two show as compatible with my IQ on Amazon?

Third party websites aren't always accurate as regards bulb fitments.

Usually the best source of information is your owners manual.

As regards upgrade bulbs, as they burn brighter than standard halogen, their lifespan is always shorter - that is the trade off for the better performance. Doesn't matter whether they are Osrams, Philips (who make the Optiwhite and OEM HIR2 bulbs), Alise (who make the bulbs for Halfords and Ring), etc. Lifespan has improved over the years but still won't be a match for standard halogen.p

One pays one's money and takes one's choice.

• Like 1

My wife and I were invited to a Christmas Concert in a neighbouring town reached by unlit roads. Coming back the roads were deserted and pitch black. With main beam I could see really well and had no problem driving at all. When a car came the other way I dipped them and obviously it was not so good. No one was following us and so I was able to slow right down as the car from the other direction passed and not feel I was holding anyone up, then as soon as they passed on came main beam and I was off again making very good progress. All in all I am now very pleased with the new bulbs.

On 12/9/2017 at 11:59 AM, KurlyKeef said:

Read this thread with interest.

What are the key criteria to ensure headlamp bulbs are compatible with my 2010 IQ?

If you own an iQ these will fit.

All iQ's were fitted with HIR2 bulbs as standard. Many of the aftermarket ones are not the same type of bulb and although they may fit, won't be as good.

Craig.

• Like 1