Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Mk2 Water Entry Through Doors

Gerg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b0c24649b243a61cP1150139a.thumb.jpg.0bf4cb9968aaaa833df312392c4444c7.jpg

It was a tough choice between doing some early Christmas shopping, or fitting some Dynamat to the front doors of the Auris.  I know,…. we’ve all been there….

After removing the door cards, I noticed that water had breached the mastic seal, and, instead of running down to the intended exit hole (back into the door void), had run down onto the door speaker.

This in turn runs around the speaker mounting, and leaves the door card via the foam seal, that you can just about feel when the door is assembled.

The mastic, when applied at the factory, has stuck to the steel successfully, and to the plastic membrane as well, but these have sagged at some time afterwards, leaving a hole that water can get through.

Both front doors had suffered this failure!  After doing what I originally wanted to do, I just closed up the failed seal with my fingers, it gave the impression of having stuck itself together; it is extremely tacky.

If you suspect a water leak into the passenger compartment, might be worth checking under the front door Speakers. (I didn't know there was any leak on our car).

In the picture, the failed seal is at the top arrow, it collects on the speaker (next arrow), then leaves the door at about the point of the lowest arrow.  The mastic looks a bit rushed, doesn't it?

I bet this doesn't happen on Japanese-made Toyotas.  <sigh>

P1150141.JPG

P1150166.JPG

P1150164.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Yesterday I removed the rear door cards. 

The plastic membrane that is there to keep water out of the car was factory-fitted in an even more casual way than the front doors' were.  Really sloppy. There were big gaps in the butyl /plastic join that you could probably get three fingers into. 

Amazingly, there was no evidence of water leaks or damage.  But these gaps might leak if the car was no longer parked on level ground.

The door card is very easy to remove, just the same as the front, but 1 'new' screw is behind the upholstered armrest (which pulls straight up to remove).

HTH

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links