Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Corolla Keyless Fob - problem

Nick Talbot

Hello All,

First time post - trying hard to solve a problem with a keyless fobs for our 2005 Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2

We have 2 fobs.  They work perfectly.  One is heavily worn, the buttons falling apart.  We have purchased a 2nd hand fob on eBay.  It is a genuine fob.  It has a new Battery.  The light on the fob operates.

Of course the new fob needs to be programmed.  We have the instructions.  We have followed them - but we have only partial success and this is where our question /problem lies:

The new fob now locks and unlocks the doors  - but it is not recognised by the ignition.  The car knows that 3 fobs are now programmed to it.  So what are we missing?  How can we get the fob to be recognised by the ignition?  Is this a "return to Toyota, need expert/official programming/assistance" sort of an issue?

With many thanks for any insights that can be offered,

Nick and Emma

Hello Nick and Emma - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

If the instructions were obtained from the internet, there are various versions out there, and not all will work with specific models. Could try an auto locksmith to see whether they can programme the key for you, which may be cheaper than a Toyota dealer.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for your reply Frosty.  In the end the problem was that coding the key to open the doors is just part of the problem.  I'd managed that - but an autolocksmith told me I needed to code the key to the ECU and that's hard and risky.  He advised not to tamper.  So I do not.

Re-coding a key at Toyota is costly. I was told a new key with programming it was £110 + VAT so you can probably work out that half of that will be the labour to programme it.

May i recomend using the plate from the  worn FOB, and just resoldering the switches from new one to old one?

Should be an easy job, and can be done on the cheap if you dont have the tools. From what i understood the problem is dip switched, and/or fob casing, both of which are replaceable.

• Like 1