Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

nackered sycromesh?

robna

Hi everyone

This is my second post so please bear with me.

OK so couple of months ago I bought an IQ 2009 plate with 58k on it 1.0 I knew the clutch was about to go so I got a good deal on it.

I noticed when driving it would crunch going from 2nd to 3rd, so I got the clutch done and still had the problem.

So I've done some research and sounds like the sycromesh is gone, has anybody else had this problem?

Any advice would be great

• 2 weeks later...

Not a problem I've heard of on the iQ but then neither is changing the clutch at only 60k miles. Maybe the previous owner was less than subtle with their gear changing?

Might be worth draining the oil and see if any metal particles come out. Maybe an oil change would ease the problem as well.

Craig.

I'd agree with your diagnosis. But, is it only when going from 2nd to 3rd? What about if you go from say 5th to 3rd? Does it only crunch if you are changing gear quickly? What about if you slowly ease in 3rd?

A Craig said, try changing the oil. Inspect the used oil and check for any glittering in it. That would indicate something has worn / failed. 60k isn't really a significant distance for a gearbox or its oil. 

Form experience, it's usually sync on 2nd gear that gets the most abuse and the first to fail. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys, sorry for the very late response.

Havent done the oil yet but hopefully get it in next week.

5th to 3rd crunch, 4th to 3rd crunch as well. But if I ease it from 2nd to 3rd, its ok

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links