Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 auto folding mirrors

andy_evans44

Hi all

I have just joined as I have recently bought a 2015 rav4 icon in UK. Happy with the car so far but I have searched everywhere for tutorial mod to auto fold the mirrors on locking of the car. I find it annoying that i have to fold the mirrors 1st before I get out so im unable to see cars coming in the mirror. Also I usually switch the ignition off 1st then realise so switch the egnition back on to fold the mirrors. Living in tight streets in the valleys it's handy but would like to to work on locking of the car. I have found 1 tutorial on you tube but it's for older models. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That's sort of thing I have been looking at but was wondering if any one had advice or experience on it before I dive in. Can't seem to find any instructions anywhere.
Thanks

I have 2012 mk3 RAV4 and modified my mirrors using the kit bought from Aliexpress.  It comes with installation manual and pretty easy to install, it connects to existing loom and all you need to do is to find 3  wires: constant +12v, door open signal and door close signal. I found them all in my car at the bottom of A pillar on driver's side. I searched  Aliexpress and found the kit for 2014 RAV4 from the same seller I bought mine from, take a look here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-car-side-mirror-folding-kit-for-Toyota-RAV4-2014-2015-automatic-close-side-mirror-system/32809333411.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.2.Y1OOvY&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10065_10151_10344_10068_10130_10345_10324_10342_10547_10325_10343_10546_10340_10341_10548_10541_10190_10562_10084_10083_10307_10303_10060_10155_10179_10154_10539_10312_10059_10313_10184_10314_10534_10533_100031_10103_10073_10594_10557_10596_10595_10142_10107,searchweb201603_14,ppcSwitch_5&btsid=63d40958-92fa-44a1-bd92-41f95f140ff5&algo_expid=a05073eb-5c01-47a9-bd69-2370c92805e3-0&algo_pvid=a05073eb-5c01-47a9-bd69-2370c92805e3&rmStoreLevelAB=0

I had mine installed for over 6 months now and it works perfectly. By the way you can still manually fold your mirrors as normal if/when you need to with the mod installed.

Hope it helps

So for your 2012 model, did you order the one that's in the actual link, which is stated it's for the 2015/2015 model ?

Thanks

5 hours ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

So for your 2012 model, did you order the one that's in the actual link, which is stated it's for the 2015/2015 model ?

Thanks

No, for my 2012 I have bought controller for rav4 2008-2013 from the same seller. I'm almost sure though that they are the same, I have bought another controller for a friend of mine for his Qashqai and controller was exactly the same, only plugs were different for Nissan harness. If you need one for mk3 RAV4 I would recommend to get in touch with the seller, they are very helpful and answer messages quickly.

Thanks, I'll send them a wee message.

Thanks for your help. Managed to find out the harnesses of the unit all plug together then there is 3wires to connect. Read to connect to the fuse box.
1st goes to permanent live
2nd goes to the locking system
3rd goes to the unlock or acc on.
Put me off a little tho when I checked the fuse box diagram and the locking system is shared with the ecu...

2 minutes ago, andy_evans44 said:

Put me off a little tho when I checked the fuse box diagram and the locking system is shared with the ecu...

You can find all three wires in driver's footwell at the bottom of right wall under plastic trim. There are few connectors there, I first located one for the the door by unplugging them one by one and trying to lock the car from remote and once I found the one I needed I tested every wire with multimeter while locking and unlocking car from remote to find the wires I needed. It was actually easier than I thought.

Ok thanks sounds a good way to start. Am I correct in thinking except for the power supply I'm just looking to connect for a pulse on open/lock.
Thanks

Yes, that's right, apart from plugging the controller in existing harness you will need to tap to three wires: permanent live, pulse on lock and pulse on unlock.

I've ordered one of these today on the AliExpress app, coming from China, so God knows when it will arrive.

1 hour ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

God knows when it will arrive.

You might be surprised, I have bought from them twice and on both occasions the parcel was delivered within 2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking to buy one of these kits as well. Just got one question...Did you manage to pickup a permanent live from the drivers footwell? Also does that plastic trim you need to remove for access come off easy enough? Don't want to be snapping any plastic retaining plugs...

Many thanks for any help

Paul

Hi.

Yes, found all three wires from the same plug in driver's footwell. Don't worry about plastic trim, it's quite flexible. I'll try to take some photos on Sunday and will post them here. Hope that helps.

I had been thinking the same so thanks for that. Had been planning to investigate over the holidays. I found this diagram if it helps anyone. Not sure if it's American or European tho but may help the investigation050c59ed857261963f5ba46b8f6aadda.jpg

I've not had a chance to fit mine yet, hopefully next week.

It took about 8 days to arrive from China, with full tracking.

Many thanks lads, very handy wiring legend there, should help enormously.

Best get ordering one then...I couldnt help but notice the 10.1" Android head units on ali express as well :) maybe a project for the new year....

This is a great family, I appreciate every support you guys give to everyone bless you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, Kos_ta said:

Hi.

Yes, found all three wires from the same plug in driver's footwell. Don't worry about plastic trim, it's quite flexible. I'll try to take some photos on Sunday and will post them here. Hope that helps.

Thank you Kosta, that would be very much appreciated if you can.

Paul

Hi all,

I apologise for being quiet for a while but combination of work commitment, bad weather and Christmas preparations wouldn't let me get the photos taken earlier.

So, there we go...

First you need to remove plastic trim at driver's door sill and footwell (first photo), ideally you will need interior trim removal tool but it is possible to do it with bare hands as well.

Don't forget to undo plastic nut holding the trim at the footwell (photo 2)

The connector you need is circled on the photo 3, bottom arrow is pointing to the connector itself and the top arrow is pointing to flexi cable trunk I used to extend three wires from the controller which I positioned next to wing mirrors switch/regulator in the armrest.

Three wires you need to tap to are as follows (photo 4, arrows pointing to corresponding wires):

1. Grey wire - permanent live

2. Black wire with blue dots - unlock impulse

3. Red wire with blue dots - lock impulse.

Once everything connected check if the unit operates correctly before putting everything back together.

Hope it hepls.

I would like to take the opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Kosta.

IMG_20171224_111147.jpg

IMG_20171224_111212.jpg

IMG_20171224_111254.jpg

IMG_20171224_111402.jpg

@Kos_ta Thank you so much for taking the time to do that, it is very much appreciated. I have a question if you dont mind. When you say you positioned the controller next to the wing mirror switch/regulator, do you mean you mounted it inside the door or just at that level above the drivers footwell? Maybe a daft question I know!

My mod kit is "in country" now so hopefully wont be too long.

Once again many thanks for your input

Regards

Paul

HI Paul,

I have mk3 RAV and my mirror switch positioned on the armrest therefore I tucked controller inside the armrest ( it's plenty room there :)). I'm not sure where it is positioned on mk4 but I'm sure you will find some space to fit it as it isn't massive.

Hi @Kos_ta thanks for the reply. So you are saying you didnt put the controller in the drivers footwell next to all the plugs but ran new cables through conduit into the door, removed the door card and fitted next to the mirror controller on the armrest? Is there a reason you didnt fit next to where you made the cable splices?

Many thanks

Paul

I see where you are going with this.  I would also like to know if this install can be done without taking the door card/trim off.