Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unreliable 2015 Auris diesel

Parky74

I have a 2015 Auris 1.6 D4D and have had nothing but problems with it. I bought it brand new, and whilst the dealer is repairing it under the warranty, I just feel that it is a joke that I am expected to keep taking it back for repair. It's broken down 8 times now over the past year, 7 of those within the past 6 months. It's had 2 EGR Valves, been in twice for a "loose wire on the Air-flow Meter" which turned out to be the dealer's fault because they'd left it off, a "loose pipe on a gasket" and finally a new ECU. Despite all this the car is still suffering from a fault in which the cruise control switches off several times a day. I don't mean that it simply disengages, as I know that it will do this under certain circumtances, but it actually completely turns off and will not turn back on unless I park it and restart the engine, at which point it works again for a short time and then switched off. Toyota have stated that this is a "feature" of the vehicle. A feature?! So a function on the car that doesn't work correctly is a feature?

Is anyone else having similar problems as I have tried to return the car back to Toyota and they are refusing to take it back? I have even been to the Financial Ombudsman, but they ruled against us because Toyota lied about the amount of repairs the car had had. They left off all the repeat repairs which is what would have given us the right to reject it under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Sorry I couldn't contribute much here.. but I have a few words to say...

Firstly the car is a BMW supplied engine, so why an earth they still call it a D4D? Not sure what the acronym stands for but Toyota has been using it for long time maybe misleading buyer to think it is the Toyota designed diesel engine. 

Secondly, can't you provide your own repair evidence to the ombudsman?

Hi Perfection,

The frustrating thing is that all the work was carried out under the warranty which means that I have no receipts as such. The service manager at the dealership even said that he felt sorry for me and couldn't understand why Toyota Finance had left out some of the repair work as it is fully documented on their Compass system, but it was more than his job's worth to give me a copy of the list.

Have you got any email, letter corresponding with regards to repair?

I know Toyota is not providing traces or invoice for warranty claims. They did that to me when I claimed a dpf replacement. No traceable means of what they have done is appalling especially if the things they have done is safety related.

I am not sure who else to complain to, but maybe worth a call to the trading standards or consumer group for advise.

AFAIK Toyota has online service book, so it should be documented there. When i checked online, for US there is nice big button that enables you to login, input vin an check.

When i switched to UK version, the website was 95% the same, button was not there. My VIN number did not work on the US website tho.

In theory any dealer that has access to Toyota network should be able to print out the whole service history for you. You can try going to some other one, and asking for it, if they ask why, you can say you want to sell it,  so you need proof of work done.

My wife, whose name the car is in, does have some email correspondence but seeing as I drove the vehicle more often than her and have more of an understanding about cars, it would always be me who would make the call to the dealer whenever a fault occured. I have already been in touch with Trading Standards who advised me to go through the Financial Ombudsman, but like I said, they ruled against my case because the car is now fixed. The fact that they have 8 weeks to respond meant that in the mean time Toyota fixed the car and simply said that there's nothing wrong with it now. At which point the FO said that I no longer had a case.

But if its not fixed, cant you go back to the financial ombudsman with the fault. If it gets fixed again and then goes faulty keep going back.

Hi Catlover,

The problem I now have is that the car is sat on the dealer forecourt where it has been for the past 2 months and they claim that nothing is wrong with it. The Financial Ombudsman said that by collecting the vehicle I am "accepting" the repair which has damaged my case against them, so I am now in a position where I don't know what to do next.

So, have the dealer fixed it but you refused to collect on advice from Fin.Omb?  If that is the case how do you know it has not been fixed this time?

Other thought, how about getting local newspaper involved. Dealer wont like it hitting headlines locally and its the sort of tittle a local paper might like to cover (unless their reporters drive toyotas that is)

On 11/19/2017 at 10:17 AM, Perfection said:

Firstly the car is a BMW supplied engine, so why an earth they still call it a D4D? Not sure what the acronym stands for but Toyota has been using it for long time ....

As far as I'm aware, D4D stands for direct injection four stroke diesel - so presumably may be applied to the BMW diesel engine as well as Toyota units

The dealer is claiming that there isn't a fault on the car, but there was when I wrote the letter of rejection to Toyota back in June. Basically what Fin Omb are saying is that because they have fixed it in the 8 weeks that the Fin Omb has to put their response together, I am no longer in a position to reject it.

The contract of sale is between the supplying dealer and the customer, not the manufacturer - as is the case with all goods purchased via a retail outlet. Presumably your letter of rejection was to the dealer not the manufacturer.

That was what I thought, but CA (Citizen's Advice) said that due to the fact that I had bought the car on finance, my complaint should be aimed at TFS (Toyot Finance Services) and I should leave the dealer out of it. Once TFS rejected my right to send the car back CA then stated that I should pass it on to the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service).

This was our letter to Toyota;

November 18th 2016; 

Whilst traveling home on the motorway the vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light and went into “Limp” mode. After speaking with Vantage Toyota they advised that we should bring the car in immediately for inspection. Once inspection had been carried out we were advised that the EGR Valve had failed and would require replacing. The work was completed approx a week and a half later due to the part being out of stock.

May 15th 2017;

The vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light for a second time and after the vehicle was inspected at Vantage Toyota we were advised that the fault had been down to a poor connection on the Air Flow Meter and had now been repaired.

May 25th 2017; 

The vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light yet again but upon contacting Vantage Toyota we were advised that no courtesy cars were available and that we would have to continue to drive the vehicle whilst displaying the engine warning light until May 30th. The inspection of the vehicle revealed that it was a repeat issue with the EGR Valve which had only been fitted in November of 2016 and again it was replaced.

June 20th 2017;

The vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light and upon contacting Vantage Toyota we were again advised of a shortage of courtesy cars and that we would have to bring the car in and wait for it to be inspected.

We were advised that the issue was once again with the poor connection on the air flow meter and the only course of action had been to disconnect and reconnect it, which had extinguished the amber engine warning light. We were also advised that the reason for this repeat issue was yet unknown, but should it reoccur that Vantage Toyota would call the vehicle in for a extended period of time to allow a full investigation of the vehicle to be carried out which would hopefully reveal the route cause of the problem.

June 26th 2017;

The vehicle has again displayed an amber engine warning light and the earliest that Vantage Toyota can provide a courtesy car will be June 28th.

The reason for the amber warning light displaying on this occasion has yet to be established, however in the meantime I have sought legal advice from Trading Standards as I have lost all faith in this vehicle and wish to reject it.

22 hours ago, Parky74 said:

That was what I thought, but CA (Citizen's Advice) said that due to the fact that I had bought the car on finance, my complaint should be aimed at TFS (Toyot Finance Services) and I should leave the dealer out of it. Once TFS rejected my right to send the car back CA then stated that I should pass it on to the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service).

Toyota Financial Services is a separate company to the manufacturer.

As regards invoices and warranty work - we've had 21 new cars from five manufacturers, and in the case of any warranty work done, have never been supplied with invoices.  The audit trail for the warranty repair is between the dealer and the manufacturer. not the customer and the dealer.

As regards the Consumer Rights Act and rejecting the car, the Act stipulates what should be done if a fault is found within the first six months, and after the first six months. From your original post, you bought the car new in 2015, and from your letter experienced faults from November 2016.  From the letter you tried to reject the car in June 2017 - which, depending when in 2015 you bought the car, is possibly between 18 and 30 months after purchase. Trying to reject a car after six months puts the onus on the owner to prove the car is faulty.

See https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#six-months-or-more

• 7 months later...
On 11/19/2017 at 1:08 PM, Parky74 said:

This was our letter to Toyota;

November 18th 2016; 

Whilst traveling home on the motorway the vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light and went into “Limp” mode. After speaking with Vantage Toyota they advised that we should bring the car in immediately for inspection. Once inspection had been carried out we were advised that the EGR Valve had failed and would require replacing. The work was completed approx a week and a half later due to the part being out of stock.

May 15th 2017;

The vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light for a second time and after the vehicle was inspected at Vantage Toyota we were advised that the fault had been down to a poor connection on the Air Flow Meter and had now been repaired.

May 25th 2017; 

The vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light yet again but upon contacting Vantage Toyota we were advised that no courtesy cars were available and that we would have to continue to drive the vehicle whilst displaying the engine warning light until May 30th. The inspection of the vehicle revealed that it was a repeat issue with the EGR Valve which had only been fitted in November of 2016 and again it was replaced.

June 20th 2017;

The vehicle displayed an amber engine warning light and upon contacting Vantage Toyota we were again advised of a shortage of courtesy cars and that we would have to bring the car in and wait for it to be inspected.

We were advised that the issue was once again with the poor connection on the air flow meter and the only course of action had been to disconnect and reconnect it, which had extinguished the amber engine warning light. We were also advised that the reason for this repeat issue was yet unknown, but should it reoccur that Vantage Toyota would call the vehicle in for a extended period of time to allow a full investigation of the vehicle to be carried out which would hopefully reveal the route cause of the problem.

June 26th 2017;

The vehicle has again displayed an amber engine warning light and the earliest that Vantage Toyota can provide a courtesy car will be June 28th.

The reason for the amber warning light displaying on this occasion has yet to be established, however in the meantime I have sought legal advice from Trading Standards as I have lost all faith in this vehicle and wish to reject it.

Hi

I Have a 2016 1.6 D4D and for the past two months I have had the engine management light come on because of a fault with the MAF sensor.

The first time round I got a recovery guy to clear the code and after a month later it came back on again with the same code.

I booked it in with the dealer, took it in and all they did was to clean the connector and clear the code

Three weeks after guess what? same code amber light on. 

The car had a EGR valve recall carried out some four months ago I wonder if it is relate or its just a batch of duff maf sensors.

By all means if you got to the bottom of this please let us know

Or if anyone else can shed any light on this will be thankful for your input.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

this car has BMW engine, so be prepared to have problems all the time. This is the reason they have not import it in Greece, because Toyota Hellas didnt want to ruin their reputation as a reliable car manufacturer.

Toyota Hellas is an importer not a manufacturer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links