Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 4WD System

BrynHIMself

Im looking at replacing my trusty Jimny. I was looking at the Rav4's 2008ish. The problem is I do get a lot of snow (about 8 - 10inchs) and live on a slope. What I want to know... is the 4wd system on a T180 model different to the standard model. How well do they cope in snow? are the standard models just front wheel drive and then the rear kicks in if it slips. how does the diff lock work. Any help would be very appreciated. I know I probably won't get the snow performance my jimny gets but I'm fed up of being uncomfortable. And disco's are too pricey and Nissan use Renault engines... Plus I love the look and the power in the T180 models. 

Thanks in advance

The 4wd system on the T180 is exactly the same as on any other RAV 4.3 - i.e. the 2006 - 2012 model range. It starts in 4WD mode and progressively switches to FWD as the speed reaches around 25 mph. The lock button aims to keep the car in 4WD mode (i.e. not allow it to switch to FWD) but, TBH, is pretty much redundant as it automatically does what is needed anyway. Traction control uses the brakes and 4WD system to divert power to the wheels with the most traction so it's really quite difficult to get stuck.

A 4WD RAV 4 is perfectly capable of dealing with the snows we see in Powys - it can provide pretty much all the traction you could want - but you will want winter, or true all season, tyres to get the best out of it and to be able to stop when coming down the hill!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Phillip, I have one particular hill where I tend to go over 25 up when the snow is down, this is mainly to make it to the top but also for enjoyment haha. Also I get bad drifts which I have to plough through. they are normally on a few metres in length but can tend to be 1m deep in the middle which I have to plough through. I live by the wind  farms on the top of Llanfair. So if I press this magic button on the dash the RAV will stay in 4wd until I with it off....? Thanks for all you help. I have watched a few videos on youtube but can't tell if it the driver that seems a little rubbish in snow or the car. 

6 minutes ago, BrynHIMself said:

Thanks Phillip, I have one particular hill where I tend to go over 25 up when the snow is down, this is mainly to make it to the top but also for enjoyment haha. Also I get bad drifts which I have to plough through. they are normally on a few metres in length but can tend to be 1m deep in the middle which I have to plough through. I live by the wind  farms on the top of Llanfair. So if I press this magic button on the dash the RAV will stay in 4wd until I with it off....? Thanks for all you help. I have watched a few videos on youtube but can't tell if it the driver that seems a little rubbish in snow or the car. 

No, if you exceed 25 mph you will be in FWD mode - the lock merely ensures 50:50 power distribution up to 25 mph. And, it's a car rather than a snow plough - ground clearance is only 200 mm / 8" so while I'd be happy on snow up to, say, a foot deep I wouldn't expect to push it through drifts a metre deep (but, there again, I'm a reasonably cautious / rubbish driver! :wink:)

• Thanks 1

Sometimes its. the only way to get out in the snow... Cant depend on powys county council to plough the road for you or grit it for that matter. Too busy buying the councillors new Audi's. but I won't go into that, I'm not sure it will be tough enough for what I want which is a shame. If it had a high and low box it would be a no brainer. I will still look at them. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you want an off-roader, not a soft-roader.  How about a Suzuki Grand Vitara?

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links