Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MPG -- 2011 2.2 RAV4 (Facelift) ... vs... 2009 2.2 RAV4

jugglerb

Hi All, I wonder if anyone could help.  I have purchased a RAV4 2011 2.2 - 150 (Believe this is the face lift model from 2009ish) - has 75k on the clock

I'm happy with the car however I'm only getting 35-36 mpg.   My Dad has had RAVs for years, his original 2004 RAV (Think this was the 2.0) did 44+ mpg -  He now has a 2009 RAV (2.2 - 150) and he gets 47mpg (he is heavy booted as well).  

So I'm wondering how come he has effectively the same car as me apart from a face lift and I'm getting pretty poor MPG in comparison.  Is there anything I can do to improve this?

I have reset the fuel computer \ tried changing driving styles etc.   Recently I've had to replace the fuel neck pipe (original was rotten and leaked), four new disks\pads and I'm just in the process of replacing the exhaust middle silencer  - so I'm thinking I may well have bought a duff car.

I was wondering if EGR cleaning / blanking etc would help.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

1 hour ago, jugglerb said:

Hi All, I wonder if anyone could help.  I have purchased a RAV4 2011 2.2 - 150 (Believe this is the face lift model from 2009ish) - has 75k on the clock

I'm happy with the car however I'm only getting 35-36 mpg.   My Dad has had RAVs for years, his original 2004 RAV (Think this was the 2.0) did 44+ mpg -  He now has a 2009 RAV (2.2 - 150) and he gets 47mpg (he is heavy booted as well).  

So I'm wondering how come he has effectively the same car as me apart from a face lift and I'm getting pretty poor MPG in comparison.  Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Hi Mark, welcome to TOC. :smile:

Are they both the same transmission? Same tyre type, condition & pressure? Similar journey types & lengths?

The 2009 may well not have a DPF, the 2011 will have a DPF (so will use diesel to regenerate).

You could try cleaning the EGR & manifold in case they are coked up. Similarly you could try additives to clean the fuel system.

P.S. if you weren't already aware diesel mpg will drop at this time of year due to the cold, change to Winter diesel & increased use of demister/heating & lights - I used to typically lose 2-3mpg on my 2.2 Avensis.

Hi !! - yes both manual 6 speed, the only difference really is mine has side bars, both cars have tow bars. I should have mentioned this in my original post :)

Both cars seem to have the same gear box (Just over 2k rpm @ 70mph)

I also checked the brakes\calipers just to make sure none of them are sticking. 

Cheers

btw make sure that you are comparing mpg by filling brim to brim & not trusting the computers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links