Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'Aux Belt' Confused

AYGOSTU

Hello everyone.

Today I had a winter health check carried out on my aygo for £11.99 at my local Toyota garage. Seemed good value to me, for peace of mind before the winter. It included a 25 point health check, top up on fluids, Battery check/ test, wheel alignment & tyre pressure adjustment,  wash & vac. My car was filthy from lots of driving, so it was worth it just for the clean.. and they did a great job.

Anyway, the report came back pretty clear with one Amber point stating  'Aux Belt starting to crack, monitor'

As I have a service plan I asked if the aux belt is covered under this.. I was advised its a wear and tear item and is not included.

I asked when should i change it? and was advised that they would check it at the next service and let me know when it needs doing.

This seems a bit vague to me, is this item not a duration part.. e.g every X years or X miles?  I looked on the toyota fixed price website https://platinumtrowbridge.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota and can only see 'timing belt' £510. Is this it ?? 

Any advice / guidance appreciated.

As far as I'm aware the 1KR-FE fitted to the current Aygo has a timing chanin rather than a timing belt. The 1.2 PSA engine fitted to the 108/C1 is, I think, belt driven. Wonder if Toyota GB are thinking about this engine for the UK market Aygo - the 1.2 is available in the Aygo in some markets

Looking at the Service & Warranty booklet, timing belt replacement for the Aygo 1.2 is listed as being due at 110,000 miles or 10 years.

With my 107, I think in the book it states that it should be checked at 40,000 miles or 5 years. I changed mine with 70,000 miles and 7 years as when I was changing the catalytic converter (for the 3rd time) and noticed the belt looked to be cracking.

If it's cracking then it's worn. I wouldn't say it's about to snap but it's closer to it now than it was when it wasn't cracked if this makes sense?

Changing it is very easy. You take the front bumper off, loosen the alternator, belt slides off, you slide new belt on (which is about £15), tighten belt, put bumper back on, job done. It took me about an hour and I didn't rush it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

With my 107, I think in the book it states that it should be checked at 40,000 miles or 5 years. I changed mine with 70,000 miles and 7 years as when I was changing the catalytic converter (for the 3rd time) and noticed the belt looked to be cracking.

If it's cracking then it's worn. I wouldn't say it's about to snap but it's closer to it now than it was when it wasn't cracked if this makes sense?

Changing it is very easy. You take the front bumper off, loosen the alternator, belt slides off, you slide new belt on (which is about £15), tighten belt, put bumper back on, job done. It took me about an hour and I didn't rush it.

From what I can gather the auxiliary drive belt goes around the alternator, air conditioning pump and crankshaft, with a belt tensioner on it.  I will look through the manual tonight and see what it says about replacement time frame/s & mileage. 

30 minutes ago, AYGOSTU said:

From what I can gather the auxiliary drive belt goes around the alternator, air conditioning pump and crankshaft, with a belt tensioner on it.  I will look through the manual tonight and see what it says about replacement time frame/s & mileage. 

You're 100% correct. If you have air conditioning it can be a bit of a pain if you have hands the size of shovels (I cut both knuckles doing this job!). But it's entirely achieveable to do it yourself if you don't want to pay someone to do it.

I'll check my book when I get home and see what it says.

They won't put a life on those belts as there are so many variables. Driving conditions, load on the air con, alternator etc. You just change them when they get too bad or break. 

Cracks on the inside of the belt is not unusual at all. Get it done at the next service as they suggest.

Craig.

I think the service schedule for the second generation Aygo states to inspect the belt at 60,000 miles and every 10,000 thereafter. It is less than £15 from Toyota and was just starting to crack on my car at 60,000 miles. 

When I changed the belt on my car, I didn't remove the bumper. The second generation Aygo has an automatic tensioner and the job took all of 10mins, if that. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links