Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E clutch stiffness

yako

Hi,

Have other Carina E owners here ever noticed stiffness in the clutch pedal? Mines done over 300 km and i decided to get the clutch kit changed (still had the original) and the clutch pedal was very soft to press after that!  Sadly it only lasted maybe a week and slowly has got back to stiff old self, is this typical for Carina? I also bled the hydraulic fuel before i had the new kit installed. For comparison i tried driving my friends -95 corolla and it has a nice "normal feeling" clutch pedal... There is also a quite loud squeking noise to be heard when pedal is pressed when i park the car after driving, does the master cylinder have anything to do with it being so stiff?  

TOYOTA CARINA E GLI 1.6 -92

As the clutch stiffness or should i rather say "heavy pedal feel", is not caused by the clutch itself as it worked perfectly from day 1 im considering replacing the master cylinder as i've heard it can make quite a difference on the pedal once reassembled or replaced, can someone with personal experience confirm this?

I have just googled 'slave, GLi '92 1600 petrol'....

Looking at less than a tenner.... Just bosh one on, m8 :cool:

2sav

What makes you think its the slave cylinder considering the master is connected to the pedal where the fault seems to be located?

It also maybe worth testing the actual clutch pedal disconnected from the master cylinder to see if it is slightly seized after all that's a very high mileage!?

Hi, disconnected the push rod from the pedal arm and pedal moves freely with no problems, i take the cylindre push rod can't be moved by using your hand, its so stiff. 

Also noticed that the helper spring is completely useless as  the cylinder pressure returns the pedal right back to position.

Hi,

Your quote > i take the cylinder push rod can't be moved by using your hand, its so stiff.  I presume it has got a clutch master cylinder and not one that is cable operated.? So do you mean trying to push the rod which is connected to the clutch pedal once assembled back in to position, trying to press it forward in to the master cylinder is very stiff because it will have some resistance as there is a spring behind the piston. Can you press it back with a screw driver ? But .... if there is no fluid behind the piston it shouldn't be that stiff at all ?

I havent removed the cylinder. The fluid must put pressure quite heavily on the push rod and cannot therefore be moved by hand. Im adjusting the pedal to see if i can set better leverage point, it had been set almost all the way up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links