Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 d4d intermittent starting issues

DAF XF

My 2008 auris got a new Battery in September yet twice since Sunday on cold starts the following has happened. Car appears to be cranking over ok but takes two to three minutes to start even with the throttle fully open. Any ideas folks?

48A4C008-DEB6-4036-99EE-DDB04D6F608F.MOV

Did you had glowplugs checked/changed? I think having throttle fully open when starting does nothing good, since it has choke on anyway.

When it finally starts, it sounds like 1 cylinder is off, so i would say that glowplugs are old. 

Also, why do you only crack for a few seconds, then stop?

• Like 1

Glowplugs not changed in my time 4 years and 107,000 miles later.  Someone mentioned it sounded like the timing was off and it may need adjusted and a new chain? Didn’t want to drain the Battery or wreck the starter

Important question, has everything been working fine during the warm weather, have you ever had such issue 2-3 months ago?

If the problems started with the cold wave, then most probably it's the glow plugs.  Luckily, testing is not hard, all you need is a multimeter.  In case you don't have one, your local garage would probably check it for free. 

There is no mention of chain checking in the Auris technical manual, but i do remember on my old mazda it said to check the chain  for stretching every 80k miles, and replace at 160k, just to give you some rough idea.  If the chain was stretched out, you would hear it banging.

I presume what i think is the cylinder not firing up, is what that person think is the chain. You can find on youtube videos about diesel cold starts, and you can compare the sounds when 1 cylinder is off.

• Like 1

All grand as last few months no such issue and as I say new Battery in in September past. Frequently I’ve wondered about glow plugs in previous winters when it’s needed a couple of reheats but it still starts and before you know it another winter has come and gone and it’s still starting! I’ll get them checked. Are they cheap or can they be done DIY?

ill check some videos. I’ve always thought it sounded rattlely and rough when cold but put it down to it bring a realitvely oldish diesel with many miles

Glow plug failure on the #AD series is rare much more likely is a faulty Suction Control Valve (SCV) so much so that there is a modified valve and software available from Toyota to cure it.

Glow plugs checked. First one was corroded a bit and not working. second and third were ok when tested but had engine oil on them and fourth was dry and ok. 

Replaced all 4 with new ones so we’ll give it a week or two and see as it’s ovcured three times in the past week. 

If it was all attributed to glow plug problems, replacing a  with ne should have sorted the problem and the car should start easily, just like in previous better years.

If its still not starting then need to look elsewhere.

Funny you should say that today - this morning the same thing happened. Not as long to start but clearly not the solution so back to considering the valve. Although would the valve not be working all the time? This only sometimes happens when trying to start and when cold. No issues once running or a warm start 

Its when starting that the valve has its hardest job, it has to quickly open from closed then regulate pressure onto the rail, this is even harder when cold.

The valves are known to wear and once they have you get the hard cold start and eventually engine warning lights as they stick more and more even when driving.

To cure it Toyota made a redesigned valve and altered the engine software to improve cold startablity