Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leak in my boot - not from tailights

ABToyota

So I had a leak in my boot and it was coming from the tail lights which I replaced the gasket. 

gv However I still have  a leak.

If I lift the carpet cover in the boot the water is on the passenger side but it is coming from the seat side down (not from the tailight up) Where could there be water coming in from? 

I have checked the tail light it is dry. 

Usually there are two possibilities - 1. from the rear lights, and 2. from the vents behind the rear bumper. Both are due to seals.

If you look at the first picture. The area that is wet is the one next to the wheel arch moving upwards towards the rear seats. The area where the tail lights are is dry.

The water is collecting on the top of the spare wheel.

So is this indicative of a leak near the wheel arch? If so is that from the petrol filler (the leak is from the passenger side)

Also how can I remove the interior trim and have a better look?

Final point - reading on another thread - a few mentioned there was a recall about this issue from RRG? 

20171124_163500[1].jpg

20171124_163448[1].jpg

Vent behind the bumper.  I've had this on an Avensis and a Ford Focus.

Silly question but what is it supposed to be venting because it seems notorious on the auris that all it does is

let water in to soak the boot. 

If it is the vents - then I would need to remove the trim - how do you do that?

The Vents - the black rectangular ones below the car lights?

Usually the trim is held in by push clips, pull them out either by hand or by long nose pliers if necessary.  On the Avensis and Focus I mentioned earlier you can't see the vents unless you have either the boot trim or the bumper off.

So I took out the boot carpet and the dried out the wheel. So its rained really heavily and the boot is bone dry. However I have not used the car - its only used for school runs so would this indicate pretty much its from the vents as those would only leak water if the car is driven?

Also can someone point put how I remove the trim there are no pushpins it seems the velvet matting / trim just inserts into the grey plastic covers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links