Do Not Sell My Personal Information

X-Shift vs Manual

Cjohnston1982

I have been driving my x-shift for 6 months and I love it. The little 1.0L engine performs well and the automatic gearbox is better than I have read about online.

Last week I drove a ‘67’ plate courtesy Aygo which had a manual gearbox and to be honest I didn’t enjoy the experience. I found the clutch quite sudden compared to other cars and I found the car felt much slower than the X-shift. 

I know the manual has longer gears and this really dents performance though to be fair this car only had 800 miles on the clock. On the motorway at 70mph my X-shift is reving around 3800rpm and the manual is noticeably lower but I can’t really hear the difference as wind and tyre noise masks the sound of the engine. 

One really strange thing I did find was the accelerator. Pressing the pedal very slightly  and I noticed the car suddenly accelerates more than I expected. I only really noticed it when cursing at 30mph. It’s almost like an on/off switch. It’s very slight but I’ve never noticed it in any other car and my X-shift doesn’t do it. I wonder if anybody else notices this?

Overall I’m glad to get my X-shift back and I think the automatic unfortunately gets a lot of bad press due to the problems the earlier systems had.

Bear in mind that the X-shift isn't a true automatic gerbox, but a manual gearbox with an automated clutch, and the X-shift is a developed version of the previous Multi Mode transmission.

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Bear in mind that the X-shift isn't a true automatic gerbox, but a manual gearbox with an automated clutch, and the X-shift is a developed version of the previous Multi Mode transmission.

Yes you are correct. That’s why I understand the pros and cons of this system compared to full automatics and CVT systems.

I should have wrote automated manual as this better describes the gearbox and clutch system.

One drawback with the X-shift is that it produces a bit more NOx than the manual.

I think the fact that it produces so little CO2 though is good as I was able to get the free tax on an automatic for the first (and last) time. I find it still a bit jerky in the two lower gears but the higher gears are smooth.

Thanks for your post Cjohnston so nice to hear how good you are finding the X-Shift, l’ve just ordered one and was beginning to worry the order of my first Aygo was going to be a wrong move. Now lm looking forward to the end of December!! 

@Nellie2

Welcome to the board Sandie :smile: I hope that you love your new Aygo....You do know that piccies of your new baby are the law around here, don't you? :wink:

As for you Isobel ( @Wiz201 ), Just what is that new Avatar and where have your little dogs gone?  I can make out a fir cone, a cup of coffee and some kind of label.....Betty's Tea Rooms, maybe? :huh:

Sorry for going off topic but I do like a brew and a bun...It's a "Northern thing" :blush:

Wiating to have the new car arrive, then pics and lots of questions will be forthcoming Neil!! It’s a Lincolnshire thing ha!!

Lincolnshire hey? Very local to me then.

I was worried about the x-shift too when I was choosing my car but I’m so glad i went for it

:driving:

16 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

@Nellie2

Welcome to the board Sandie :smile: I hope that you love your new Aygo....You do know that piccies of your new baby are the law around here, don't you? :wink:

As for you Isobel ( @Wiz201 ), Just what is that new Avatar and where have your little dogs gone?  I can make out a fir cone, a cup of coffee and some kind of label.....Betty's Tea Rooms, maybe? :huh:

Sorry for going off topic but I do like a brew and a bun...It's a "Northern thing" :blush:

oh its a picture with my nickname on it basically, it was the decorative name piece at a wedding. I change profile pictures every so often so you'll see the dog again soon.

Until l get my ‘new baby’, thought I’d add a ‘wee’ picture so l’m part of the clan!! Soon be replaced with the little Aygo— I hope!!

On 24/11/2017 at 7:36 PM, Wiz201 said:

I think the fact that it produces so little CO2 though is good as I was able to get the free tax on an automatic for the first (and last) time. I find it still a bit jerky in the two lower gears but the higher gears are smooth.

In automatic? Can you explain?

14 hours ago, zuh said:

In automatic? Can you explain?

when it changes the gears I feel the changes are stronger in 1 and 2

• 4 years later...

I’ve just picked up my used 65 plate Aygo x- cite x-shift, loving it so far. I find the gears a bit jerky compared to my automatic Mini. Does anyone know if it’s more fuel efficient in manual mode and using paddle shift?

I'm getting about 50/ 53 miles per gallon using the paddles hope this is some help

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kat23 said:

Does anyone know if it’s more fuel efficient in manual mode and using paddle shift?

I only ever drive mine in manual mode using the paddles!

On 1/15/2022 at 3:59 PM, Kat23 said:

I’ve just picked up my used 65 plate Aygo x- cite x-shift, loving it so far. I find the gears a bit jerky compared to my automatic Mini. Does anyone know if it’s more fuel efficient in manual mode and using paddle shift?

shouldn't make any difference really.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, Dave the aygo said:

I'm getting about 50/ 53 miles per gallon using the paddles hope this is some help

Thank you 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, PetrolDave said:

I only ever drive mine in manual mode using the paddles!

Thank you

On 1/17/2022 at 1:09 PM, Wiz201 said:

shouldn't make any difference really.

Thank you

Ie recently picked up my X-clusiv s-shift and indeed find the manual/paddle the better/smoother drive. Getting about 48-50mpg currently although the car has only done 120 miles from new so should hopefully improve. The dealer told me to lift my foot off the accelerator on each change up.

55 minutes ago, rich146 said:

Ie recently picked up my X-clusiv s-shift and indeed find the manual/paddle the better/smoother drive. Getting about 48-50mpg currently although the car has only done 120 miles from new so should hopefully improve. The dealer told me to lift my foot off the accelerator on each change up.

I'm getting around 55mpg now that my x-clusiv x-shift has done over 6000 miles. I always use the paddles, and agree that if you just lift slightly on the accelerator when changing up it makes the change smoother. I do like the automatic throttle blips on down shifting though!

I love driving my wifes X Trend auto using the paddles.Its a lot of fun.

• Like 1