Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clearcoat failure of something else?

Ben93

Are these white specs clearcoat failure I didn't notice them before cleaning car and waxing not sure if it's just more obvious now cars shiny. I snowffoamed the car rinsed shampoo and dried with microfiber then used a spray on buff off wax. Got lots of these around car mainly on top of the cars roof and stuff. Tiny white specs. Not sure if it's possibly a little water in the wax. Or it's typical jap paint and is failing haha 

DSC_1755.JPG

DSC_1754.JPG

DSC_1753.JPG

Don't remember seeing any lacquer issues on the (British-built) solid red Corollas appear on the forums.

The solid red paint (Solar Red - different shade to the red of the Corolla) on the Auris can suffer from lacquer separation, which tends to display as cracking and peeling of the lacquer.

• Like 1

Have you or a previous owner been using wheel clean or used a hand car wash, that does not mind where it sprays the wheel cleaner? I have see it before where the acid in the wheel cleaner as caused issues.

My blue T-Sport as a few issues above the door on the roof. Not sure what as caused that.

Andy.

Not sure on previous owners but I've always used mild stuff and been very careful. Seems to come and go though so one days they're really white and some they're not very noticeable think it's the cold weather hopefully in the summer they go again. I don't mind Longs it doesn't peel I mean the cars ok other than that for 11 years old but most cars paint holds up a bit better. Just weird how they come then they dissappear or fade to nearly unsseeable and then back to bright white dots.

Hoping it don't peel as it's the whole roof and some of the bumper. Otherwise it will rust 

That's where mine is showing above the doors on the roof mainly around the edges above doors. Lots of white spots between the size of a full stop up to the size of the rubber on the end of a pencil. Weird. But definetely seem weather related and the cold brings them out but main question is will they go again in the summer haha. Longs the laquer don't actually peel I'd be relatively happy some white spots over my car at 11 years old is ok but the laquer peeling is not and looks absolutely awful. Had that happen on my old hyundai and then rust. 

I just apply extra wax to the area, just to try and preserve it as long as possible.

Wax seems to make it worse its like moisture between thr clear and base. I spoke to my mate who used to paint cars he said it shouldnt peel and will just look a little odd and might fade again in the sun. Hoping he's right a few white spots on car don't bother me as it's 11 years old what will bother me is if it separates from the base coat. Touch wood it doesn't. 

• 4 weeks later...

From those pics, I cannot really see what the problem is, but this is what happened to the lacquer on my bonnet earlier this year:-

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/179549-paint-finnish-on-the-bonnet-has-like-a-crazy-paving-appearance-comments-would-be-appreciated/

Apparently it is due to ultra violet light, and I remember that it was hot and sunny in June this year around the time that the problem first occurred.  The paint on the bonnet is 6 years old.  There are small areas in the lacquer on the roof, which is original ie 19 years old, that indicate that the lacquer has flaked off, these started as small white specs and have gradually increased in size. There was no sign of paint damage before this year.

• 10 months later...

My wife's car is a 2009 Solar Red Auris but we too have had the peeling lacquer problem very badly. Following a very polite letter to Toyota's head office in the UK  the whole car has been re-sprayed at their expense. I can't imagine any other car manufacturer looking after a customer in this way. 

• Like 1

certainly not on a 9 year old car where they are beyond their legal obligations (6 years) ...

• 3 years later...

My 2021 corolla is having a clear coat chipping issue already. most of the edges chipped for no reasons. What a big disappointment?

1 hour ago, p wong said:

My 2021 corolla is having a clear coat chipping issue already. most of the edges chipped for no reasons. What a big disappointment?

So have you taken the car to a Toyota dealer for inspection??

My 1987 Golf GTi is tornado red and over the years has been affected by the sun, etc and requires polished regularly to keep it looking good.

Especially the roof and bonnet areas.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links