Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First thoughts......

paulie b

I've had my 12 plate Aygo fire for a couple of weeks now. Here are my impressions of the vehicle thus far.

+  Light steering, decent gearchange, very manouverable, pleasant to drive. I do find that I have little need for fifth gear on some urban journeys. Boot adequate for my needs thus far.

-   Fuel gauge - I'm still not sure about it, I posted on another thread about my concerns. Rasp from back box. I have been led to believe that this is not a fault. It is annoying but becoming less so as I get used to the car. I suppose in a couple of weeks I will have become so used to it that it will not register anymore? Also, the Aygo is the only car I have ever owned which does not have a temperature gauge. I know it's built to a budget, but I would have liked to have one. 

I do like the car and am pleased with my purchase. The only other small car I have owned was a Citroen AX. That was a great little machine. 

I am wondering what the Aygo performs like in adverse weather. The old AX was great in snow, I'm hoping that the Aygo will prove just as good.

hi Paul

the car does have a light that comes on if the engine is getting too hot so there is some warning

but i would rather have a temp gauge, with regards to bad weather lets hope we dont see any of the white stuff.

when we had our aygo we had to change the horn as its a pathetic little squeak i have heard louder mice.

4 hours ago, eygo said:

hi Paul

the car does have a light that comes on if the engine is getting too hot so there is some warning

but i would rather have a temp gauge, with regards to bad weather lets hope we dont see any of the white stuff.

when we had our aygo we had to change the horn as its a pathetic little squeak i have heard louder mice.

I'm not looking forward to snow, but it would be nice to hear members comments if they have been forced to drive in the stuff. I keep a tin of 'liquid snow chain' in the boot at all times during the deep winter months just in case. 

Re the horn, the one on my car must have been changed from the stock one, as it emits a loud shrill tone.

4 hours ago, eygo said:

hi Paul

it seems to work on the odd plonker that's sat at a green light looking down at their phone, and I've got a mk2 aygo. But it still sounds pathetic lol.

Hi Paul,

I drove on snow and ice with 4 winter tires. I went to some places where others cars could not go.

One morning, the steep access ramp of my car park was covered with a thick layer of snow. Many drivers tried to drive out, failed, gave up and parked back their cars. I came with my Aygo. All were watching, expecting me to fail, too. I got up in one go!

Although, I owned a Citroën AX too, and it was much better on snow than the Aygo. It was a real tiny snowgroomer. I guess it is because the Aygo is so light (especially its engine), that there is almost no weight on the front wheels.

I parked a few slots away from an 09 plate Aygo today. I was chatting to the driver and asked if they would sound the horn. I was most unimpressed, it sounded like Noddy's pedal car. Mine is definitely a conversion job. Three times as loud, with a sharp high pitched tone.

• 1 month later...

I must report that I am simply loving my Aygo. It is so entertaining to drive, and handles as if it is on rails. Yes the clutch biting point is high, but I'm used to that now. Nice gearchange, nippy, very easy to manoeuvre in and out of tight spaces and I have only had one occasion to drop the rear seats to fit a big item in, otherwise I can easily get my shopping and stuff into the boot. Dunno about anyone else, but I find that I can sit in third or fourth quite comfortably for long periods of time whilst driving around town and even on slightly faster roads. I like the way that the driver sits quite high up, and the amount of space/legroom in the front of the cabin is great. 

My only gripe is the back box (this is not the cars fault). It sounds like an el cheapo after market thing. It rasps like hell and makes an inordinate amount of noise when accelerating. It remains within the parameters of legality though as I have had it MOT'd without any problem. I'm going to put up with it for now then get a replacement later on.

Hi Paulie b, i am glad that you are enjoying your Aygo, ive had my 58 plate for just over a month now and im loving her too, i agree with all your comments, especially sitting in 3rd or 4th. Yes it has a few rattles but its all character. I love all the storage areas, im having to look around for my odd and ends forgetting where i put them. I recommend adding a glove box lid if you dont already have one, and a centre arm rest for longer journeys. These vehicles are just so cute, and affordable to run and maintain

Enjoy!

Aygo is a super winter performer with winter tyres. Our 2008 Aygo has electronic stability control and with winter tyres it will go on any snowy road that other cars can go. We are talking about Swedish winter with snow and ice.

Sam. I've been  thinking about the glove box lid.

Rajiv. That's good to know. We are expecting snow and ice across the UK in the coming days! I haven't got winter tyres, but the ones on the front are new. I do carry a can of 'spray on snowchain'. I've never used the stuff but it's supposed to be okay for emergencies. Being retired, I have the luxury of not facing a daily commute so if the snow comes, I'll not bother taking the car out until it's all cleared.

Nice 1 Paulie b, think about the armster too...i love mine, makes driving alot more comfortable, although it restricts your handbrake, pull the armster up for local driving, and down for those longer journeys, youll wonder how you managed without it! Good luck.

image.jpg

Hi Sam. I had an armrest on my old car, never used it. That said, from the picture, the armrest looks like a good idea for those who have need. From my perspective it would just be a bit of a hindrance. Thanks for the thought though.

Hi Paulie, it is a good idea, however i purchased it more for my other half on longer journeys, when i say longer i mean a 250 miler trip, every now and again, because my other half has his luxury cruise liner he likes to call it...a.k.a...the Avensis for those journeys.

What i love about it is the likkle storage compartment at the top...i love storage areas lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Encountered my first little niggle whilst out driving yesterday. The seat belt warning light came on accompanied by an increasingly fast 'beep'. I pulled over to the side of the road, unclipped and replaced my belt but it just wouldn't stop. at about the fifth attempt the warning cancelled. I have read a thread about this issue. Hopefully it was an isolated incident, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. 

22 minutes ago, paulie b said:

Encountered my first little niggle whilst out driving yesterday. The seat belt warning light came on accompanied by an increasingly fast 'beep'. 

Ensure there's no weight on the passenger seat, ie a handbag etc.  Sometimes it's enough to make the car think there's an occupant in it.

7 hours ago, paulie b said:

Encountered my first little niggle whilst out driving yesterday. The seat belt warning light came on accompanied by an increasingly fast 'beep'. I pulled over to the side of the road, unclipped and replaced my belt but it just wouldn't stop. at about the fifth attempt the warning cancelled. I have read a thread about this issue. Hopefully it was an isolated incident, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. 

I used to have that problem in my other mk1 Aygo where the sensors were too sensitive on the passenger seat and just popping my handbag on there will set them off. Fortunately I don't have that problem in my mk2 Aygo.

Ugh yeah that's driving me mad in New Yaris because I always put my work rucksack on the passenger seat. So now Clunk-Click Every Trip! even applies to my bag now! :laugh:

On 02/02/2018 at 9:48 AM, alan333 said:

Ensure there's no weight on the passenger seat, ie a handbag etc.  Sometimes it's enough to make the car think there's an occupant in it.

Ah! This explains it! I had just been shopping and put a bag full of groceries on the passenger seat!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links