Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 2.2 D4D lack of power

brickers911

We,ve not long had my daughters 2006 2.2 D4D, it was running fine for a few months, it has a full service history but today its started hesitating after 2-3000rpm, the higher the the gear the lower revs its starts hesitating, if it were a petrol engine it would feel like an ignition problem. I took the EGR valve off and gave it a clean but it wasn't really dirty, there was more build up inside the manifold it bolts to, cleaned that out too but no difference. The vehicle has 130k miles, there is no smoke, and no engine management lights coming up. I tried giving it a bit of a thrash up the m`way but still no joy. She does only poodle back and forth to work most of the time with the occasional m`way journey, any ideas as to what else to look for, thanks

Have you changed the fuel filter? A full service does not mean the fuel filter had been replaced. This is a false assumption as the dealer will tell you that they will only replace it if requested by the customer, otherwise they won't replace it despite as part of the service (if due for replacement).

No I,ve not but I have considered it, I had a look and it looks like a genuine Toyota one from the writing I could see, maybe its the original? How likely do you think it could be this, the symptoms appeared overnight? It would however be a cheap thing to try first, I've seen a post about suction control valves giving these symptoms

Hi. I have the same problem :( I will change the fuel filter tomorrow as i have done the same with the EGR without result  :( I will let you know the result of the change !

Having done a bit more reading it looks as if the suction control valve problems only occur on the 2.0 engine, have also ordered a fuel filter and would be very happy if its only that...fingers crossed

Also worth checking the MAF sensor. I had experienced loss of power on my Yaris when I the engine speed is over 2000rpm. I removed and cleaned it and problem gone away. Although it wasn't very dirty when  I looked at it, but I gave it a good clean anyway using electrical contact cleaner. (Not sure if this is the recommended cleaning stuff, but it worked for me.

I have the exact same model and same problem at 85k no warning lights ,i had a diagnstic guy run his super computer through it showed no issues whatsover .

It now is barely making 40 in 2nd or 60 in 3rd struggling to 70 in 4th he witnessed this .

The first port of call for him is the fuel filter and he wants a look to see what its been catching .

Good news, I fitted a new fuel filter today and cleaned the MAF sensor while I was at it and now everything is fine....happy days.

Im pretty sure it was the filter though and that it was the original Toyota filter, also undoing the bracket to the housing, the nuts looked like they had not been undone before as there was what felt like nut locking compound on the threads, after shaking the filter whilst draining it plenty of black crud came out.

Thanks for the advice

Good to hear you have fixed the problem.

For reference, my original filter blocked at 80k miles. But I have been using premium fuel all these times. 

• 6 months later...

So i put 10.00quid of petrol in the big workhorse so distracted by the price per litre and the want of morrisons cheaper price ....result 180 quid bill .......but a complete flush of injectors and so forth from a wurth additive ...not only has it cleared out the engine ,it has cleared the dpf which appears to be the combined cause of the problem.

We are now driving like we just came off the factory floor everycloud and all that 

I'd have thought it would run Ok on £10 of petrol and the rest of the tank diesel ?