Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen washers

powerman

I have a 2014 RAV 4.4 . the jet of screenwash  from the washer jets strikes the window some 6 - 8 inches from the bottom of the screen when the vehicle stationary and just about clears the Wiper Blades when driving. Is this normal or do i have a problem?   

Yup, you have a problem... but not serious.  If your washer jets are like all previous ones I have seen then they will have a water jet that can be adjusted with a pin... the jet is normally a ball with a (jet) hole in a housing sat on the bonnet or their abouts.  Insert a pin in the nozzle jet and wiggle/adjust so the water jet reaches the top of the screen.  Air pressure while driving will bring the jet down about a third of the way down the windscreen... but as long as the wipers catch the water/washer liquid it will clean the screen.  Easy peasy eh!

Hopefully the washer jet squirt height is not connected to the engine managment system and put the car into 'slow mode'  (I hope I am only joking!)

I just had a horrible thought... as is the way with modern vehicles, everything is becoming digitised... check your owners manual and make sure that there is not a motorised adjustment from inside the cabin.  The mind boggles @-@

Thanks for reply. Will have a close look at the jets tomorrow in the day light and  see if I can make an adjustment.

Thanks again,

powerman.

Be careful what you insert i did it once and it snapped off in the damn jet !

Finally got a few spare moments to look at things. The jets on this 2014 MY  RAV don't have a ball bearing like adjustment , it is a plastic assembly with just a small slit in the end. However  I did find that when closing the bonnet that washer pipe was kinking and thereby restricting the flow. Opening the bonnet and the pipe would unkink itself and there was quite difference in the flow from the washer jets with the bonnet open as compared to when it was closed. Solved problem by adjusting the pipe routing.

OK, glad you got it sorted.  However, if there is no ball jet adjustment... just how do you adjust the jets on these later types then?  I can't beleive that is its cheaper to make them with no adjustment, so that's what we will do! 

1 hour ago, daveh_rav4 said:

OK, glad you got it sorted.  However, if there is no ball jet adjustment... just how do you adjust the jets on these later types then?  

They make them with different angles of jet & you change the jet.

Thanks for the reply, but you can't be serious... 

Working on that theory; do you have to change the body Shell then if the rear view mirror needs adjusting?  Oh, wait, I think I have the answer... you have a rear view camera LOL  Modern cars are becoming rediculous....

10 hours ago, daveh_rav4 said:

Thanks for the reply, but you can't be serious... 

sorry,  but I am.

The Auris has had fixed washer jets since its introduction 11+ years ago (2006), so it isn't exactly a new occurrence.

Okay...  I find that if I am doing a lot of motorway driving I tend to aim them higher to counter fot wind pressure; round town I generally aim them a bit lower.  I keep a strong fish-hook removal (pin) tool in my ash tray to do a quick adjustment. I would think that you would need quite a powerful jet not to be affected by wind pressure.

Perhaps on the Auris it is a cost saving... is that a cheap/economy model car?

6 hours ago, daveh_rav4 said:

Perhaps on the Auris it is a cost saving... is that a cheap/economy model car?

The Auris competes with the Golf/Focus/Astra type cars, so isn't a cheap economy model, and other Toyota models will have followed suit. Suppose having washer jets set at a particular angle saves time in not having to adjust them.

The angled washer jets are nothing new, they are ceramic jets and able to fire much more water to the screen than the old ball bearing type :thumbsup:

OK guys, thanks for the update on 'modern' screen-jets. Call me old school,  but I prefer things that I can adjust to suit my own requirements (part of the fun of having a car eh!).  Having to change the jet to make an adjustment seems counter productive to moi. In fifty plus years of driving I have never had any trouble with the ball-adjust type ^  As they say... if it ain't broke, don't...

Talking of ceramic jets (sort of :),  my mother had some new mixer taps fitted to her kitchen three years ago... a few weeks ago I went round to fix these now dripping taps with my rubber washer repair kit and tap re-seating tool, discovered that they had no rubber washers in them so I could not fix them :(  Took the 'ceramic cartridge's' down to the the local plumb center... they could not match what they claims to be a type of manufactuered cartridge he had never seen before... mother now has to have new mixer taps, d'oh!  Is this progress?

Anyhow... the OP query is sorted now so we can all sleep easy LOL

It is true to say the old type gave little trouble, but if you think back to it, you could probably pee faster :lol:

The ceramic type deliver far more water, faster to the screen, progress? maybe :rolleyes: 

Kingo :thumbsup: